Special K, new recipe

rick_chasey
rick_chasey Posts: 72,243
edited January 2014 in The cake stop
I keep forgetting Kelloggs have changed the special kay recipe, and god, they've really ruined it.

It's a little darker in colour which is fine, but it's so much sweeter than it used to be.

Gah, why did they do it?!?! Does anyone prefer it??

Comments

• Not me, it used to be one of my staple cereals, not since they changed it though.
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Maybe they're using a different kind of cardboard to make it now?
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Taste? I thought it was just texture...

Anyway, it's for girls
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,924
    benmac75 wrote:
    Not me, it used to be one of my staple cereals, not since they changed it though.

Same here... tried it a few times and gave up. They've ruined it.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Garry H wrote:
    Taste? I thought it was just texture...

Anyway, it's for girls

Just look at who started the thread :wink:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,486
    I keep forgetting Kelloggs have changed the special kay recipe, and god, they've really ruined it.

It's a little darker in colour which is fine, but it's so much sweeter than it used to be.

Gah, why did they do it?!?! Does anyone prefer it??

So *that's* why you wear red trousers.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • RDW
    RDW Posts: 1,900

Yes, no ketamine in it at all now, apparently.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Missus eats this and says this happened quite a long time ago and she isn't all that bothered..

Sadly, she still can't get into the red swimsuit
  • Once a nutritionist told me the healthiest part of Special K is the cardboard box...

Kellogs products are nutritionally little more than junk.
    Luckily they have opened a Wholefoods branch in Richmond and I can buy unpackaged oatbran for 1.99 a Kg... a Kg of the stuff lasts me and my wife over 2 weeks.
    left the forum March 2023
  • rjsterry
    Once a nutritionist told me the healthiest part of Special K is the cardboard box...

Luckily they have opened a Wholefoods branch in Richmond and I can buy unpackaged oatbran for 1.99 a Kg... a Kg of the stuff lasts me and my wife over 2 weeks.

Wholefoods, you say? In Richmond? Where else might they be? Fulham? Kensington? Stoke Newington? Cheltenham? It's almost like they know who their market is. ;)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Tesco value oats, 75p for 1kg.
  • rjsterry wrote:
    Once a nutritionist told me the healthiest part of Special K is the cardboard box...

Wholefoods, you say? In Richmond? Where else might they be? Fulham? Kensington? Stoke Newington? Cheltenham? It's almost like they know who their market is. ;)

Yes, the comfortable and the health conscious... there is very expensive stuff as well as very cheap stuff. All the unpackaged seeds, nuts and beans are way cheaper than the same stuff packaged at tesco and the choice is much wider.
    Then of course you can buy wild Alaskan salmon for £ 25 a Kg... which I do, as the £ 19 a Kg chicken pellets fed one has the consistency of jelly. meat is expensive... £ 30 a Kg for sirloin, I don't buy it.

Once I came home with a big bag full of food and I paid 9 quid
  • mpatts
    mpatts Posts: 1,010

Really? I virtually live on fruit and fibre.
    Insert bike here:
  • mpatts wrote:
    Really? I virtually live on fruit and fibre.

Which is good, but that's not what Special K is about... all Kellogs cereals are added with lots of sugar and salt. Special K makes no exception.
    Some are outrageous, like frosties, which in weight has probably more sugar than cereal.

Basically cereals would be a good thing if they were cereals
  • rjsterry wrote:

Yes, the comfortable and the health conscious... there is very expensive stuff as well as very cheap stuff. All the unpackaged seeds, nuts and beans are way cheaper than the same stuff packaged at tesco and the choice is much wider.
    Then of course you can buy wild Alaskan salmon for £ 25 a Kg... which I do, as the £ 19 a Kg chicken pellets fed one has the consistency of jelly. meat is expensive... £ 30 a Kg for sirloin, I don't buy it.

Once I came home with a big bag full of food and I paid 9 quid

We have a big state funded veggie garden right next to us that does us a huge basket of organic veg per week for 15 Euros.

Then we get 1/8 of pig or cow every so often at 1/2 supermarket prices, and yet it's as organic as they come. (The transfer of flesh takes place in plastic bags in an undisclosed car park...!)

And if I can just catch one of those pesky wild boar, we'll be in meat for the year!

And agree that Special K tastes super sweet to me.
  • rick_chasey
    I don't eat it to be healthy. I like(d) the taste. If it wasn't so much hassle I'd be eating fresh croissants every morning.
  • rjsterry
    I don't eat it to be healthy. I like(d) the taste. If it wasn't so much hassle I'd be eating fresh croissants every morning.

And smoking Gauloises?

Back on (or is that off?) topic, my point was that there's not much difference between Wholefoods and Kellogg's. They use much the same language in their marketing, with lots of mentions of nice warm fuzzy words like "natural" and "healthy".
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry wrote:

And smoking Gauloises?

Back on (or is that off?) topic, my point was that there's not much difference between Wholefoods and Kellogg's. They use much the same language in their marketing, with lots of mentions of nice warm fuzzy words like "natural" and "healthy".

There is a world of difference between an organic supermarket and a corporation making processed food. First of all they don't do the same thing... one is a retailer, one is a food manufacturer... One spends a relatively modest budget for advertising (at least in the UK), the other is a monumental advertising machine. One mostly sells organic products and probably some junk, one solely uses processed ingredients and genetically modified crops.
    If you don't see shades of grey between your allotment and Monsanto, I suggest you go to Specsavers, or to an independent optician... not all chains are the same and not all non-chains are good... for example I wouldn't buy anything from my local corner shop, as Cadbury pseudo-chocolate is probably the healthiest stuff on their shelves.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry wrote:

And smoking Gauloises?

There is a world of difference between an organic supermarket and a corporation making processed food. First of all they don't do the same thing... one is a retailer, one is a food manufacturer... One spends a relatively modest budget for advertising (at least in the UK), the other is a monumental advertising machine. One mostly sells organic products and probably some junk, one solely uses processed ingredients and genetically modified crops.
    If you don't see shades of grey between your allotment and Monsanto, I suggest you go to Specsavers, or to an independent optician... not all chains are the same and not all non-chains are good... for example I wouldn't buy anything from my local corner shop, as Cadbury pseudo-chocolate is probably the healthiest stuff on their shelves.

Wholefoods don't get there food from allotments. They use large scale producers as well - how could they run their business any other way? As you've probably guessed, I'm pretty sceptical of most of the claims of the organic food industry and its rather non-scientific claims to be better than non-organic food.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Here the issue is not organic vs non organic about which we can agree, but basic food vs processed food... one is a retailer of the former, Kellogs is a producer of the latter.
    Basically I can go to Wholefoods and buy raw cereals in bulk (oats, rye, buckwheat, wheat, brown rice, bran) instead of boxed heavily processed, sugared, salted and fortified ones at 10 times the price. The latter are also stripped of their most valuable nutrients, like dietary fibre
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    johnfinch wrote:
    Maybe they're using a different kind of cardboard to make it now?

^That

Stick to a full English.
  • rick_chasey
    rjsterry wrote:

And smoking Gauloises?

Don't you know it opens up the lungs???

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR1dKGWcFosdI0S_AhUtX4JHU5lx4QNC9npL9A0h9uefhGV1X3Stg
  • rjsterry
    Here the issue is not organic vs non organic about which we can agree, but basic food vs processed food... one is a retailer of the former, Kellogs is a producer of the latter.
    Basically I can go to Wholefoods and buy raw cereals in bulk (oats, rye, buckwheat, wheat, brown rice, bran) instead of boxed heavily processed, sugared, salted and fortified ones at 10 times the price. The latter are also stripped of their most valuable nutrients, like dietary fibre

Undoubtedly, something like Frosties or Special K contains more additional ingredients, and highly processed cereals, compared with what you are buying, and we all need to think about what we eat. I'm just unconvinced by the general processed=bad argument. Virtually everything is processed to some degree - even if only to remove the parts we can't or don't like to eat - it's just a question of degree. None of it is 'natural'.

A good example would be those Eat Natural cereal bars. I really like the cranberry macadamia and dark chocolate version. Lots of 'natural' relatively unprocessed ingredients, but at 40g of sugars per 100g I'm kidding myself if I think they are 'good for me'.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Agree...
    There is nothing intrinsically wrong in extruding food or using technology aimed to process plastic to make food products. It's the ingredients... virtually all food manufacturers rely on cheap vegetable oil like palm oil, that gives good consistency but it's full of saturated fat. Sugar and salt are added to increase flavour... then preservatives... I had an HP sauce that didn't go off in 8 years.
    The processing often strips the food of their fibre content to make it easy to work with... it's a lot easier to make bread with white flour than it is with whole meal flour, try for yourself.
    In essence you are left with the nutrients that you don't want (sugar, starch, saturated fat, salt) as they have removed the ones you do want (mainly fibre). That's what is bad about processing
  • Just to give you an idea, while Special K are branded as the healthy cereal option, they contain 7% protein and 4.5 % fibre, yet packing up 28% in sugar and close to 1% in salt.
    Your cheap and cheerful oats for porridge contain 17% protein, 11% fibre and no sugar or salt at all.
    There is worse... if you like the Frosties, 39% of the weight of the content is sugar, 4% in protein and only 2% in fibre and over 1% in salt
  • The new version is sugar coated.

Where is the protest rally /facebook page?

Oh no, there is one https://en-gb.facebook.com/BringBackOldSpecialK

No wonder Britain's etc etc in my day etc
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    Sainsbury's own-brand version, called Balance, is more or less the old recipe Special K.

Does anyone else think, when the Special K advert comes on TV, "You got dressed up like that for your breakfast?" Seriously - she looks like she got lost on her way to the Ferrero Rocher advert. Also, when every other advert is being alarmingly frank about bodily functions do the cereal adverts shy away from "keeps you regular" in favour of "makes you feel good inside"?
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er