Countryfile

jimmythecuckoo
jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,712
edited September 2014 in The cake stop
I get a lot of stick from mates for being in my 30's (just) and loving Countryfile.

In my defence...

As a cyclist the detailed weather report is really useful.
People of a certain age like me enjoy still seeing John Craven on television.
I live in a village.
Julia Bradbury is on it.

..I think it stacks up as a case.

Comments

• Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Guilty as well
  • I've watched country file since it first started. I'm 35. Only just getting used to it being on Sunday evenings not lunchtimes.

And yes the weather report is very useful however once you get more than 3 days out you have to take it as guesswork which it largely is.
  • My favourite program...
    left the forum March 2023
  • I don't really do Sunday evening TV cos it makes me feel suicidal - bad memories of "Songs of Praise" followed by the "Antiques Roadshow". But I have seen this prog before - is there still the charming blonde girl in knitwear on it?
    (Scurries back to kitchen to get on with washing up) :P
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • I remember Bob Mortimer describing despair as the feeling you got when Bullseye came on TV.

Got better since then.
  • Garry H
    Aye, that horrible "6.30 on a Sunday evening and I haven't done my French homework yet" feeling.

Not had it since I decided to only work four days a week. No such thing as the Tuesday morning Blues :D

Nowt wrong with a bit of bully mind
  • Look at what you could have won...

Another Countryfile fan here!
  • So sad for Erik the bull... anyone adopting it?
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    I love countryfile too. Hands off Erik, he's mine...
  • Our shed is a bit full, or I'd be tempted.
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    Unlucky lads apparently Bertie Contador has got his testes on reserve, reckons there might be still be something in them.
  • Garry H
    We could all club together...
  • Garry H wrote:
    We could all club together...

Make that a club sandwich and I'm in.
  • There is mainly one good reason why I like to watch Countryfile:

The rather lovely Ellie Harrison

Ellie3.jpg
  • There is mainly one good reason why I like to watch Countryfile:

The rather lovely Ellie Harrison

Ellie3.jpg
    That's the girl I was thinking of! I knew someone would come up with the goods.

(Slightly disappointed she's not in a woolly jumper though :oops: )
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Erik?
  • Mikey23 wrote:
    Erik?
    Erik the bull

12_CF25_Eric.jpg

Actually, Eric the bull. Retiring due to ill health.
  • john_kline
    john_kline Posts: 2,151
    I remember Bob Mortimer describing despair as the feeling you got when Bullseye came on TV.

Got better since then.

Funnily enough he was also on countryfile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Pm0ziZ-DzY
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Mikey23 wrote:
    Erik?
    Erik the bull

12_CF25_Eric.jpg

Actually, Eric the bull. Retiring due to ill health.

Think of the burgers that would make 8)
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,483
    Rather chewy ones if he's retiring. He'd be better for casseroles.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Cygnus
    Cygnus Posts: 1,879
    I'm another one who likes watching Countryfile, it's a bit like Blue Peter for geriatrics :oops:
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    I like the "Adams Farm" section,

No way is he a bloody farmer, he's never there. Poncing around with his rare breed sheep,

Lad I grew up with is a farmer, he,s only 43 but he looks like 90 , works 5 A.M to Midnight most days and longer in the summer, Hasn't got time for giving sheep pretty haircuts and walking them around on a lead.
  • tim wand wrote:

No way is he a bloody farmer, he's never there. Poncing around with his rare breed sheep,

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks that. A bit like the celebrity chefs, vets, physicists, anthropologists, they do so much TV they can't possibly have time for their day job.

Countryfile first started in 1988, and moved to Sunday evenings in 2009.

It's always suffered rather from being bounced around the schedules, on Sunday lunchtimes it would often be moved earlier or be cut short due to some sporting event. Even now, sometimes it's anything from 6.30, 7.00, 7.30, just keep it at 7.00pm then at least we know that 7.50 is the weekly cycling weather report.
  • tim wand wrote:

Of course, Adam's farm is the highlight. He's a great guy and has a great job! The parts I hate are those about country houses and private estates... I find them incredibly tedious
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    I also enjoy this programme, but I don't know why. It feels like a bit of a guilty pleasure, yet it is possibly the most inoffensive programme on the TV. What is the magic formula that makes it so watchable - subliminal messages?
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    Bradbury?

No

incidentally, Bradbury and Matt Baker get the full TV star treatment including getting driven from their house to wherever they are filming - Matt Baker's a pretty sound bloke

Ellie Harrison, Adam farmerladdie and even John Craven have to sort out their own transport, food etc
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,924
    I can't stand the Blue Peter style of presentation... especially from Bradbury and Baker.
    I get the general impression that Baker is a decent enough bloke (and quite capable) but I can't stand his voice.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • metronome
    metronome Posts: 670
    Great show! One of only two I make a point of watching live. However I do think Craven has shares in the CountryFile calendar :lol:
    tick - tick - tick