Kelly on wet weather....

specialgueststar
specialgueststar Posts: 3,418
edited March 2016 in Pro race
Kelly “I check the weather, I put on my gear, I go out and do my spin, then when I’m back do I decide if it was too wet or not”

'You seem to like these conditions Sean?' 'I neither like or hate them, it's just everyone else hates them'

Comments

• frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Ha I like that quote!
    Contador is the Greatest
  • My thoughts exactly. Playing football this weekend I had Kelly in mind, because I knew everyone else hated it more than me.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,881
    Be6eoLhCMAAp8-I.jpg:large
    (via @IrishCorner10)

Must've been bad if he had gloves on

Note - no tights
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,205
    (via @IrishCorner10)

Note - no tights

Third wheel. No gloves, no tights. Kelly was clearly a big wuss.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,221
    (via @IrishCorner10)

Note - no tights

I was thinking the same thing. There's another rider a few places back again who also appears gloveless and I can only see one pair of tights.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Pross wrote:
    (via @IrishCorner10)

Note - no tights

I was thinking the same thing. There's another rider a few places back again who also appears gloveless and I can only see one pair of tights.

Well before the Irish contingent get upset at me for pointing that out, I'd better post the classic kelly pic to make amedns:

kelly.jpg
  • tailwindhome
    TBF the no tights comment was referring to the peloton in general rather than specifically Kelly.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • skylla
    skylla Posts: 758
    (via @IrishCorner10)

Note - no tights

1. Kelly
    2. Fignon
    3. Stephen Roche!!!
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    skylla wrote:
    (via @IrishCorner10)

Note - no tights

1. Kelly
    2. Fignon
    3. Stephen Roche!!!

Blimey, it is, isn't it!

So conclusive documentary evidence that Roche was harder than Kelly :lol:
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    skylla wrote:
    (via @IrishCorner10)

Note - no tights

1. Kelly
    2. Fignon
    3. Stephen Roche!!!

Blimey, it is, isn't it!

So conclusive documentary evidence that Roche was harder than Kelly :lol:

Nah. Kelly knew he would always be on the front, taking the wind, so he needed to layer up. Roche is wheel sucking.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    Kelly “I check the weather, I put on my gear, I go out and do my spin, then when I’m back do I decide if it was too wet or not”

Very good.
  • Phil Anderson, too.
    Paris-Nice, no doubt.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • skylla
    skylla Posts: 758
    1984?
  • skylla wrote:
    1984?

Close, but no cigar. 1985.
    I've now found it, here:
    http://www.lequipemagazine.fr/avant-hie ... ice/501/#5
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,249
    I'm sh!t in the rain. I get cold so quickly, and I so hate riding in someone's wheel when it's wet I waste so much energy.
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    I'm sh!t in the rain. I get cold so quickly, and I so hate riding in someone's wheel when it's wet I waste so much energy.

You and me both. I have poor circulation to hands and feet so the wet and cold just makes me miserable.

I find that If it is raining hard I am not keen to go out. If I am on a ride and it starts raining I dont really mind it. Psychology eh?
  • psychologically : the first spits starting as you walk back through the door is the most uplifting
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,224
    mike6 wrote:

You and me both. I have poor circulation to hands and feet so the wet and cold just makes me miserable.

I find that If it is raining hard I am not keen to go out. If I am on a ride and it starts raining I dont really mind it. Psychology eh?

Perhaps you could push through the pain barrier like Kevin Dawson (top British TT and Premier Calendar rider of 90's/00's) - I remember him saying his technique was to always ride no gloves no matter how cold it was; after about 45 mins riding he reckoned that they reached minimum temperature and actually started warming up as a result of a burning sensation...
  • Interviewer: "What motivates you to go training when you get up, look out the window and realise its raining and cold?"

Robert Millar: "Well, ou judge how cold its likely to be, look at how had it's raining and realise that Sean Kelly has already been out for two hours without gloves"

I like this one from Kelly too "It can only go as far as your skin"
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,249
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    mike6 wrote:

Perhaps you could push through the pain barrier like Kevin Dawson (top British TT and Premier Calendar rider of 90's/00's) - I remember him saying his technique was to always ride no gloves no matter how cold it was; after about 45 mins riding he reckoned that they reached minimum temperature and actually started warming up as a result of a burning sensation...

It's my core which gets cold. Much more difficult to regulate temperature in cold rain. Either boil or get cold.

The inability to ride in the wheel when it's soaking is as big a problem. It's fundamentally unpleasant.

Also it's tricky to get non baggy waterproofs which don't rattle like a paperbag in the wind when you are my size.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,551
    The inability to ride in the wheel when it's soaking is as big a problem. It's fundamentally unpleasant.

Agreed. Best way of riding in a group in the wet is pulling at the front... :wink:
  • Rain is just unpleasant to be in if you walking, cycling, whatever. Just about tolerable in the summer but this time of year, no way.

Mind you there were guys in my club climbing up the Pennines yesterday morning when it was heavy rain / snow, and bloody freezing. I think they're a bit mad.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    I'm a bit like Kelly, I don't like riding in the rain (in fact I'm on record elsewhere on this forum to that effect) and consider myself pretty bad at it (not confident at cornering at the best of times) but I seem to be less bad at it than a lot of people and able to cope with cold and wet conditions relatively well. Finished a couple of races last winter so cold I couldn't change gear and was literally crying when I climbed off - put my hands straight under the hot tap (couldn't even take my gloves off) and left them there a good 10 minutes. Not sure how anybody could ride in that without gloves (although Haussler seems to be the current freak in that regard).
  • I find that on a wet descent my cornering and braking are exactly the same as on a dry one, turning my descending skills from a liability to an asset!
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • tailwindhome
    skylla wrote:
    1984?

Close, but no cigar. 1985.
    I've now found it, here:
    http://www.lequipemagazine.fr/avant-hie ... ice/501/#5

So, either way Kelly won (Them's Marginal Gain gloves ;)
  • 102esr.jpg
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Froome on wet weather: "Sod this, I'm going to Africa"

(And I can't blame him)
    Twitter: @RichN95