Embarrassed, ashamed & angry.

Frank the tank
Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
edited March 2014 in The cake stop
My cycling has been going well this year, with what for me is a good solid start, riding regularly but nothing above 34miles but mid to high 20's regular.

So yesterday I went out with a mate for a flat 50miler, fcukin' 'ell :!: around the two hour mark bang totally blew up, just couldn't keep going at any kind of pace. It was not the "bonk" but every crank turn was an effort and suffered like a dog all the way home. This would have been bad enough had I been alone, however being out with a mate who was then reduced to waiting for me periodically lead to my personal feelings of embarrassment,ashamed and anger with myself. I told me mate to just get on with his ride but being the kind of bloke he is would have none of that.

Anyone else had a similar experience, whereby you've gone out feeling good only to end up having your ego/morale battered. I told my mate, I think physiologically the ride has probably done me good, psychologically I reckon it's put me back three/four month. :? :oops: :cry:
Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.

Comments

• Unless you are Wiggo or Froome I wouldn't worry about it. I ride with one of my mates all the time and sometimes I'm hanging off the back and sometimes it's him. Just enjoy the ride and keep going.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,949
    One bad ride isn't worth worrying about Frank, despite all the sports science that's around now even professional athletes have days where they just aren't 'on' it so to speak. Also flip it around and look at it from the opposite angle...don't you also get days when it just clicks and no matter hard you push yourself your body responds with ease as if you just can't ask too much of it?
  • Should have drunk some beetroot juice.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Happened to me on the Spring Fling I organised last year. Hardly had time to get the miles on (same this year) and I was cramping after 2 hours whenever I tried to pedal anything more than a recovery spin.
    It all broke up last year though, a few egos got in the way and it got messy.
    Consequently I'm not doing one this year as again, lack of miles.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Happened to me on the Spring Fling I organised last year. Hardly had time to get the miles on (same this year) and I was cramping after 2 hours whenever I tried to pedal anything more than a recovery spin.
    It all broke up last year though, a few egos got in the way and it got messy.
    Consequently I'm not doing one this year as again, lack of miles.

that's a real shame, I've only managed to get on a couple of these and not the last couple of years, but thought they were great rides - mostly because of the lack of egos!
  • random man
    random man Posts: 1,518
    Don't beat yourself up Frank, tell your mate to go steady next time :wink:
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    That's pants Frank. You should be ashamed of yourself. Loose some weight, get off the beer, forget sex, chocolate and late nights in front of the telly/BR forum, shave your legs more often, put chilli powder in yer chamois cream and rub it in your bollox, eat muesli all day, buy some EPO, Clenbuterol and Nandrolone, buy a £2k set of Eastons and turn your bike into a fixie with panniers on it full of breeze blocks.
    Sorry - forgot: Wash your hands 62 times a day and live in a sterile container with full oxygen suit like Froomy does.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Always nice to have some supportive words from the BB crowd!
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Mikey23 wrote:

Sympathy and this place don't go together :wink:

Just MTFU :P
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • arran77 wrote:
    Mikey23 wrote:

FFS, this is the last place I'd look for any kind of sympathy, I was just sharing a particular cycling experience. If I wanted sympathy I'd just look all doe eyed at Mrs Tank.........................................Who would then tell me to MTFU and dig deeper, either side of laughing.
    Tail end Charlie

• God help you if anything really bad happens to you...
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    arran77 wrote:
    Mikey23 wrote:

FFS, this is the last place I'd look for any kind of sympathy, I was just sharing a particular cycling experience. If I wanted sympathy I'd just look all doe eyed at Mrs Tank.........................................Who would then tell me to MTFU and dig deeper, either side of laughing.

I was about to say, wife sympathy is rarer than rocking horse shite :wink:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • Mikey23
    Reminds me of a ride it did with the local 'friendly club'. I went out with the 12 group. They whizzed off at every hill and 'regrouped' at the top every time. I kept my solo tempo going and was doing a 12 average. The group leader said that he was concerned that I wasn't keeping up and suggested that I went back. Bearing in mind that this was unfamiliar territory, so I did and had to find my own way back while the others completed their ride at an average 13.8. So much for the friendly club...

Have done several thousand miles since could easily cope with a 12 group. But psychologically I am reluctant to ride with others in groups. And I was embarrassed, ashamed and angry...
    What makes you think anything really bad hasn't happened to me or mine in the past?

Doesn't mean I still can't feel those emotions over something far more trivial, thank you.

Don't judge.
    Tail end Charlie

• You just ran out of calories and fitness at the same time. Nothing really to worry about just ride more.
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    Is this the bloke with two replacement hips who lives in the Lumpy bit of Nottinghamshire I daren't venture into?

No shame there mate!! I ve only been off the turbo once this year , This bloody weather, give us a shout when it gets better (the weather not the riding) with the form I m in I can do with all the help I can get.
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    Mikey23 wrote:
    Reminds me of a ride it did with the local 'friendly club'. I went out with the 12 group. They whizzed off at every hill and 'regrouped' at the top every time. I kept my solo tempo going and was doing a 12 average. The group leader said that he was concerned that I wasn't keeping up and suggested that I went back. Bearing in mind that this was unfamiliar territory, so I did and had to find my own way back while the others completed their ride at an average 13.8. So much for the friendly club...

Have done several thousand miles since could easily cope with a 12 group. But psychologically I am reluctant to ride with others in groups. And I was embarrassed, ashamed and angry...

YOGIs :lol: well known for their ability to stick to a ride plan.....not!

Frank, I once had something similar happen to me, usual ride over Dartmoor, got towards Okehampton and just collapsed, just couldn't pedal ended up resting for 20mins and then bought a snicker bar and struggled home, I put it down to nutrition over the previous days and maybe some fatigue as it has never happened before or since.
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    As an insomniac, I've had this happen to me many, many times. One week I'll be absolutely flying, the next week there's nothing in the tank at all.
  • Mikey23
    @mamba80... You didn't hear it from me!! Loads of folks who should have moved up to the 14s and but were hanging around cos it's comfy. I'm still a member and I have some good mates from them on strava
  • pinno
    johnfinch wrote:
    As an insomniac, I've had this happen to me many, many times. One week I'll be absolutely flying, the next week there's nothing in the tank at all.

I couldn't tell, until I saw your avatar.

Did you hear about the dislexic, insomniac atheist?
    He was lying awake one night wondering if there really was a dog.

I'll get my coat.
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    johnfinch wrote:

I'll get my coat.

It's OK, we've already fetched it and called a taxi for you. Could you wait outside the house, please?
  • pinno
    johnfinch wrote:
    johnfinch wrote:

I'll get my coat.

It's OK, we've already fetched it and called a taxi for you. Could you wait outside the house, please?

Magic. A trip to the funny farm awaits. I hope they give me those little green pills like they did the last time.
    What makes you think anything really bad hasn't happened to me or mine in the past?

Doesn't mean I still can't feel those emotions over something far more trivial, thank you.

Don't judge.
    What if it has? Obviously I'm sorry if it has, and all that.

Doesn't mean I'm not allowed to comment on someone expressing rather extreme emotions over something basically trivial.

Ashamed, embarrassed, angry, battered, psychologically set back 3 months??

They're very strong words about something that happens not infrequently and is really quite trivial. I'd be quite worried if I met you now, in case I accidentally looked at you the wrong way.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • Mikey23
    @frankthetank... Don't let the nasty people get to you. It's obviously been a pretty traumatic experience ... Big manly hugs mate. (Said with absolute sincerity)

If the weathers been anything like it has been here over the weekend you did well to get out at all. I've bailed out twice and had happy times on the turbo...
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Frank, when I saw the title of your thread, I assumed you had seen the light after voting Labour all these years. :wink:
    I too would be embarrassed, ashamed and angry. :lol:
  • Mikey23
    Saw this and thought of you... I hope it will be a constant source of encouragement...

http://ah_coo.tripod.com/engine_that_could.htm
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Happened to me on the Spring Fling.It all broke up last year though, a few egos got in the way and it got messy.

Really :?: I never noticed this.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Last few miles everyone was strung out
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Last few miles everyone was strung out

Fair point, I do remember that. Never noticed the Ego thing is what I really meant.

Anyway if you do one this year I will be with you as I have not ridden properly for 6 months (about 10 days total in that time).
    Yellow is the new Black.

Don't judge.
    What if it has? Obviously I'm sorry if it has, and all that.

Doesn't mean I'm not allowed to comment on someone expressing rather extreme emotions over something basically trivial.

Ashamed, embarrassed, angry, battered, psychologically set back 3 months??

They're very strong words about something that happens not infrequently and is really quite trivial. I'd be quite worried if I met you now, in case I accidentally looked at you the wrong way.
    I think it was the fact I wasn't alone that lead me to feeling the way I did. Probably frustrated would have been more apt.

Don't mis-understand me I'm quite a level headed bloke and If our paths were to cross I'm sure there'd be no need for either of us to worry fella.
    Tail end Charlie