mobile phone contract

slowandsteady
slowandsteady Posts: 339
edited January 2014 in The cake stop
I'm not sure if this is the right place for this question but here goes;

I have just got a letter saying the price of the monthly payments of my mobile contract is going up. Am I right in saying that I can now cancel that contract as they have changed the terms?

I thought I seen something on the news lately saying I could as the small print in their contracts saying I couldn't is illegal.

anyone?
Wilier Cento Uno SR 2013 in Fluro Yellow
Cannondale Caad10 2014 in BLACK!!

Comments

• morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    I'd go on the moneysavingexpert forum and ask this question. Bread and butter stuff for that site.
  • There is probably something in your contract allowing them to increase the cost by a certain amount, read the small print.
    Got a place in the Pyrenees.
    Do bike and ski stuff.
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    There is probably something in your contract allowing them to increase the cost by a certain amount, read the small print.
    ^^This one, they will have covered their backside.
  • Wilier Cento Uno SR 2013 in Fluro Yellow
    Cannondale Caad10 2014 in BLACK!!
  • Come to France.

My contract costs, er, nothing*. I get 2 hours/month, plus unlimited SMS/MMS.

*Normally 2 Euros/month, but free if they are your internet provider.

They're called Free, appropriately enough.
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    Sadly, its a similar deal with Ooredoo - i get so many bonus minutes a month they roll over and are growing bigger and bigger - BUT, you have to buy your own phone outright - The UK system of 'free' phones sucks
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • Come to France.

ILM Zero7 wrote:
    Sadly, its a similar deal with Ooredoo - i get so many bonus minutes a month they roll over and are growing bigger and bigger - BUT, you have to buy your own phone outright - The UK system of 'free' phones sucks

With Free I believe that you still either have to provide your own phone or pay rental on a phone from them, so it is not strictly free. Also, if you want any decent amount of 3G/4G included the "free" monthly charge goes up to 15.99euros + rental of phone.
    Still much better than most UK providers though.
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    Mobile phone contracts are a corruption in themselves.
    If I offer a service and don't provide I can be taken to court and pay a hefty price but mobile phone operators do not even have to offer a service meaning you can't proceed on a denial of service basis like other contracts.
    Where I live I stopped getting a signal, this was due to orange selling off their masts when they had financial troubles yet when I called them to ask to leave the contract as they could not provide me a service they wouldn't let me go, I then went to the ombudsman who were no help as I was locked into a contract.
    Living MY dream.
  • Come to France.

ILM Zero7 wrote:

With Free I believe that you still either have to provide your own phone or pay rental on a phone from them, so it is not strictly free. Also, if you want any decent amount of 3G/4G included the "free" monthly charge goes up to 15.99euros + rental of phone.
    Still much better than most UK providers though.

True, they're not going to give you a phone too if you're paying sweet FA per month. But phones are cheap as chips these days as long as you're not an i-addict.
    I don't use my phone much and I don't use the internet on it, so it's the perfect contract for me.
    Where's it's also brilliant is in alarms/gates, etc.
    I have 3 more 2 Euro contracts; 1 for the gate, 1 for the alarm, and 1 for my wild boar hunting camera! (It MMS's me if one comes past!)
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    I have just got a letter saying the price of the monthly payments of my mobile contract is going up. Am I right in saying that I can now cancel that contract as they have changed the terms?

http://consumers.ofcom.org.uk/2014/01/p ... ice-rises/
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.