Warning - Stolen....Cube Litening Super HPC Race (white)

Simmsy77
Simmsy77 Posts: 27
edited February 2014 in Road stolen
Hi

Writing to let you know what happened to my brother yesterday which resulted in him having his brand new Cube Litening stolen. Just want to make people aware and to be extra careful and any info given resulting in the bike being returned would be very much appreciated and most probably rewarded.

After having a clear out in his garage after Xmas he decided to advertise an electric saw on Gumtree, yesterday evening he received a phone all from someone wanting to come and look at it. As planned a smartly dressed man arrived on time to look at the saw which was kept in his garage. On reflection this was totally naive on his behalf but the guy seemed friendly enough and was in no rush and after noticing my brothers wetsuit and bike started to talk about triathlons & cycling.

He obviously knew what he was talking about so my brother dropped his already lowered guard even further and talked bikes. He pretended to be intrigued by the SRAM Red as he was running Durarace on his bike and wanted to take a closer look, within a flash he jumped on the bike whilst only a few feet from my brother and shot off up the road. Naturally my brother gave chase but within seconds he had vanished, it's semi rural where my brother lives so within 30 seconds he'd jumped in his van and made it to the main road where the bike was nowhere to be seen.

In hindsight the photo advert for the electric saw had the back half of his bike showing in the background, and this has obviously been picked up by the culprit when advertised on Gumtree, after all nobody turns up to buy a big electric saw on foot, he had come especially to try his luck getting the bike and unfortunately succeeded. After speaking to neighbours we do know that the bloke had been dropped off at the top of the road by a van so has obviously cycled out of the road and immediately loaded it into the van so when my brother appeared within a minute later looking for a man on his bike couldn't see anything or anybody.

Obviously this has been reported to the police and they've confirmed that organised robberies like this are becoming a big problem.

The bike was only purchased a few weeks back and has hardly been used so is in mint condition, obviously my brother is totally gutted as he'd spent all summer saving to buy it only to have it swiped by this low life scum. Please if anybody comes across a bike do this description advertised or offered to them any info would be very much appreciated.

CUBE LITENING SUPER HPC RACE
WHITE / RED / BLUE
54/56cm

Many thanks
Stuart

Comments

• foggybike
    foggybike Posts: 160
    Where was this?
  • Hi

It happened in Bedford, but apparently exactly the same happened to somebody in Surrey the previous evening by someone with matching description. The difference was that person was actually advertising his bike
  • hugehero
    hugehero Posts: 281
    Eyes peeled! It is because of these kind of stories that I don't let anyone come directly to my home when selling anything.
  • hugehero wrote:
    Eyes peeled! It is because of these kind of stories that I don't let anyone come directly to my home when selling anything.

Tell me about it, he's totally gutted for being so naive and trusting.....he's just been very unlucky
  • Sirius631
    Sirius631 Posts: 991
    Maybe it would be a good idea to have a secret video camera running when showing people stuff, in case you want to show police later.
    To err is human, but to make a real balls up takes a super computer.
  • I just a similar stunt to this pulled on me yesterday evening in Putney after advertising on Gumtree. In hindsight there's loads you can do to put someone off, like taking a photo of them before you let them onto your property etc - but most of us have to go through this painful lesson first...
    Time VRS Pro-Team 08 – weekend steed
    Condor Moda - commute
    Scott something or other - manky old MTB
  • hugehero
    hugehero Posts: 281
    http://stolen-bikes.co.uk/stolen-bikes/ ... -314-2013/

This method of theft seems to be on the increase. And could it be the same chap who targeted your brother simmsy?
    Furthermore the victim like your brother also had an advert on gumtree.
  • hugehero wrote:
    http://stolen-bikes.co.uk/stolen-bikes/lapierre-zesty-314-2013/

This method of theft seems to be on the increase. And could it be the same chap who targeted your brother simmsy?
    Furthermore the victim like your brother also had an advert on gumtree.

Matches the description and name given exactly, I really hope this person gets caught. It's almost tempting to put a fake advert in a Gumtree as bait.
  • gradiric wrote:
    I just a similar stunt to this pulled on me yesterday evening in Putney after advertising on Gumtree. In hindsight there's loads you can do to put someone off, like taking a photo of them before you let them onto your property etc - but most of us have to go through this painful lesson first...

Sorry to hear this, let's hope this person gets caught soon