Anyone know the state of Swinley at the mo?

BigAl
BigAl Posts: 3,122
edited March 2014 in Routes
Not been there for a long time, but my kids want to go at the weekend, (with their new bikes).

Heard that
a) there were quite a few trees down in the storms before Christmas
b) it's now so wet that parts of it were closed

Anyone know if it's all open again?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Bits are still closed.
    Useful place if you use Facebook.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/SwinleyforestMTB/
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    But idiots have been riding the closed trails they are trying to resurface, which doesn't help.
    1017556_10151830770057181_1090499418_n.jpg
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • BigAl
    Thanks Cooldad - think I may give it a miss this weekend and stay local
    cooldad wrote:
    But idiots have been riding the closed trails they are trying to resurface, which doesn't help.
    1017556_10151830770057181_1090499418_n.jpg
    That's really not going to help
  • cooldad
    The old stuff (off trail) has held up ok, but not signposted, so unless you know the place it's a bit pointless at the moment.

I prefer the Crowthorne parts anyway, so doesn't really worry me.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Wonder how long before the straight line appears through that first berm again...

Going to hit Deepcut on Sunday instead. Will be more mucky but at least it will all be open to ride.
    Bird Aeris : Trek Remedy 9.9 29er : Trek Procaliber 9.8 SL
  • Coogie
    Coogie Posts: 68
    Any update on this? How are the trails this weekend, as I'm thinking of going next Friday?
  • cooldad
    Still very very soggy, and the bits are still closed.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Coogie wrote:
    Any update on this? How are the trails this weekend, as I'm thinking of going next Friday?

If you go today let me know how it was because I'm planning on going tomorrow :)
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • Still avoiding at the mo but had a friend go Saturday and says it's at the worst he's seen for a while.

Judging by the state of things a few weeks back I'd say you're looking into March before everything opens up again unless we get a very dry Feb.
    Bird Aeris : Trek Remedy 9.9 29er : Trek Procaliber 9.8 SL
  • arran77
    I went Saturday in the end as well.

There is quite a bit that's shut but what is open is fairing ok, they've been doing a bit of work on it trying to sort things out.
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • ADL
    ADL Posts: 138
    What's the current condition of the trails?
  • arran77
    ADL wrote:
    What's the current condition of the trails?

Mainly closed :roll:

seanoconn
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,297
    I was going to ask as I was going to take my son over the next couple of days. Looks like we'll be splashing along the towpath and through Richmond Park.
  • cooldad
    Blue is closed, as are bits of the red. Bits of Crowthorne are ok, but all a bit sludgy. Fireroads are a mess.

It all needs a bit of a rest, and dry weather.

Some repairs are on the go as well.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    last Sunday took a amble over to swinley well, the green is open, The Blue has diversions as does the red.

quite busy as you'd expect so quite slow going, but fun never the less.
  • BigAl
    Did the blue (thrice) with my boys today.

Diversion still in place (not sure how much this loses as i dont know Swinely) but what we rode was all okay. Surpringly quiet given the decent weather (hail storm aside!)

A little shocked to see so many 'big' bikes there (its very tame) including a guy on a brand new 'Five' who was slow as you like!

My lads loved it - first time we've ridden anything other than 'natural' trails round here - different to what we normally ride - but all good fun
  • othello
    othello Posts: 578
    BigAl wrote:
    Did the blue (thrice) with my boys today.

Diversion still in place (not sure how much this loses as i dont know Swinely) but what we rode was all okay. Surpringly quiet given the decent weather (hail storm aside!)

A little shocked to see so many 'big' bikes there (its very tame) including a guy on a brand new 'Five' who was slow as you like!

My lads loved it - first time we've ridden anything other than 'natural' trails round here - different to what we normally ride - but all good fun

The blue diversion misses out a section of flat singletrack which winds its way backwards and forwards to the start of the red. Its actually a chunk of the blue in terms of distance, and without it the blue feels short.

Some of the big bikes would have been making their way over to the jump gully and the downhill tracks, which are off the red at the furthest point of the trail. Glad you had a good time. We (my 2 kids and I) got caught in the hail storm too!
    Blogging about junior road bikes http://junior-road-bikes.tumblr.com
  • BigAl
    Was there again on Saturday, again with my lads. Not going to be long before they're faster than me!

Blue still the same with a chunk closed - however there did appear to be quite a lot of trail repairs going on so hopefully given a spell of dry weather it'll be open again soon.