Sram Shifter Playing Up

Bazzowmb
Bazzowmb Posts: 227
edited January 2014 in Workshop
Got a horrible feeling my RH Sram Shifter, which was a replacement for a previous broken one, is about to pack up!!! :x The previous one was replaced by the supplier and I guess I could probably go down the same route, however based on my experiences and reviewing this forum (seems to be a recognised problem) I'm not keen to take this route.

Just want to check up on my options:

1) Do I upgrade EG. Force or Red but only if it is a more reliable product/different mechanics (which I doubt)?

2) Can I just change the levers with a different make EG. Shimano or Campag, utilising the rest of the existing Sram Rival groupset?

3) Or do I have to replace the levers, and front and rear mech (assume chainset will be OK)?

4) Finally, if I were to replace my whole groupset for a 11 speed, would the new cassette fit my old Shimano RS10 wheels (currently running a 10 speed Ultegra cassette)?

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• rayjay
    rayjay Posts: 1,384
    I have used Red shifters for years with no issues what so ever.

Just go red unless your desperate to go 11 speed.
  • Bazzowmb
    Thanks Rayjay, appreciate your input.

The Red option is tempting providing the reliability is there, as I'm a firm fan of 'double tap'.
  • rayjay
    rayjay Posts: 1,384
    Bazzowmb wrote:
    Thanks Rayjay, appreciate your input.

The Red option is tempting providing the reliability is there, as I'm a firm fan of 'double tap'.

I have had the same red shifters since they first came on the market.

This guy changed is Sram red to 11 speed, DIY , very clever.

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... ecd6bf19f1
  • Bazzowmb
    WOW, that is way out of my league, hats off to the guy!