Campag Neutron Ultra Wheels

narbs
narbs Posts: 593
edited January 2014 in Road buying advice
My front Neutron Ultra hub shattered last summer and I've been unable to source a replacement part (or a front wheel alone).

I'm more than resigned to replacing the wheelset and selling the rear and front but are there any other options I should consider? I really like the Neutrons and nothing really springs to mind as an alternative.

The wheels will be mainly for Alpine holiday riding so good climbing is a priority, I have some Scirroco 35s for everyday use.

Comments

• napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Get some hand built wheels on, for example, record hubs. Decent rims and spokes. Then you'll never have the same worry again! I have a pair that are 32h record rear, 24h extralight front on IRD cadence road with good Sapim spokes. They are really stiff, lighter than neutron ultras and easily serviceable anywhere. I love them!
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Unfortunately your front rim has 22 holes, hence impossible to find a replacement hub.
    If the rear is fine, get something vaguely matching for the front....kind of Velocity Aerohead laced to a 20H hub with Sapim CX Ray spokes... would look similar enough to go un-noticed
    left the forum March 2023
  • narbs
    Thanks both.

I admit I'd considered handbuilts in principal but got no further. Ugo, you're suggestion sounds very good - could you give me an idea of price/weight etc (happy to take this to pm).
  • @narbs - we have a couple of guys waiting for replacement Neutron Ultra hubs, one warranty, one crash damage - are you either of these? We may well see the same next week, if you are neither of our existing customers, do you want me to add one?

If so, pls PM.

Cheers
    Graeme
  • In the absence of a suitable 22 H hub, there is a Frankenstein build you can explore. Based on a cheap 32 H hub, say Shimano 105 or Novatec 171, it should be possible to build a 1 cross lacing patter with one radial spoke per side. That leaves 5 holes per side unused. I'm not quite sure how this will work in practice, but what can possibly go wrong eh? :mrgreen:
  • narbs
    Graeme - ha, yes, I'm the crash replacement one. I'd given up hope of Campag coming up with the goods - thanks for your persistence!

Ugo, thanks for the info and I'll certainly bear it in mind.
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    Graeme
    Can you get Neutron front rims?
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    narbs wrote:
    Graeme - ha, yes, I'm the crash replacement one. I'd given up hope of Campag coming up with the goods - thanks for your persistence!

Somebody is going to have a nice time rebuilding that, arent they Paulo? :wink:
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • narbs wrote:

Somebody is going to have a nice time rebuilding that, arent they Paulo? :wink:

hopefully not... :wink: