Breathing

iwilldoit
iwilldoit Posts: 710
Hi

Just looking for a bit of advise, I have only been MTB ing since the start of December and I'm 50 when climbing up hills ( quite steep ) I can't seem to keep up with my breathing. my legs still want to go but my lungs are bursting, up a long steady drag of a hill it isn't so bad.

I have been concentrating on breathing in through my nose and exhaling through my mouth for around twice as long as the inhale, but it seem as if I can't get enough air in through my nose.

Is there anything I can do or will it just get better the more I do and advise would be great.

Just one thought to day there was a gale blowing and that also seems to make it harder to breath through my nose, the wind was a right pain as I did around a 20 mile loop and it was in my face all the way Sad

Comments

• gt-arrowhead
    gt-arrowhead Posts: 2,507
    It could be that your bike position is such that you are leaning far forward, effecting your breathing. What stem length are you running?

Other than that i cant really think of any obvious issues, the way you are doing it sounds right to me.

I too have started MTBing properly in December, and i have realised that i have become a bit fitter each time i go, as i go for around 20 miles too.

Perhaps it is just that you are still sort of "new" to MTBing, and you will improve over time.
  • It will come with fitness, just make sure you aren't too slouched over the bars... you need to make sure you can open your lungs up.

I takes me a while to get into a ride as I struggle to get my lungs "open".
  • iwilldoit
    Thanks for the replies I will measure the stem and let you know.

On the ride I was doing to day it's a bit of a pain as it's 5 miles up hill before I get off roading, I'm better at endurance I seem to get better as the day goes on so the big bit of the hard work straight away is a killer, the one positive is I do recover a lot quicker than I used to do and I have lost nearly a stone in weight, I'm now lighter than when I left school 34 years a go.
  • Are you warming up at all beforehand?

Cwmcarn is pretty much a climb straight out of the carpark and no matter how fit I think I am, it always kills me.
    However if I do have a quick warm up around the carpark, stretch and generally just get moving, the climb is always much easier.

Basically, you need to let your body know that you're about to give it a kick in the ar*e :lol:

Keep it up though, the worst thing you can do it to stop now that you've started. Its so easy to lose what you've gained.... as I'm about to find out tomorrow (haven't ridden since xmas!).
  • iwilldoit
    No I haven't done any warm ups, what sort of thing would you recommend, it's all new to me and big learning curve, but I'm really enjoying it, I suppose we all think things we should be getting better a whole lot quicker.
    One question for you all when your heading up any sort of hill and your on your arse and knackered is it best to stop and then go again when you feel ready or get off and keep moving by walking with the bike?
    Today was so windy and cold I thought I would have 5 minutes to get my self back together but your body was freezing so had to get going again to keep warm.
  • Depends what your goal is I guess!
    Personally I hate walking, so I'll take a breather and get back on the saddle when I'm ready... like you said just dont let yourself get cold.

Warm up wise is just that, gentle ride around the carpark for me to raise my body temp and loosen up and a general stretch.
    I do tend to stop for a stretch after the 1st climb as well to make sure I'm loose.
  • iwilldoit
    Thanks for the advise I will keep plugging away at it, my plan is to try and get fitter in the winter ready for some better weather and get into some more technical sort of stuff.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    It is probably just down to fitness and waiting until your body adjusts. At the start of my ride I have a steep uphill and it kills me every time even now I am quite fit as I barely have time to warm up.
  • fizik
    fizik Posts: 247
    Firstly, well done on losing the weight! Keep plugging away, its not a race. As the others have said though it does take a while to warm up no matter how fit you are. I generally take it easy for first couple miles until I get warmed up and don't worry about keeping up with my mates til my legs and lungs are all fired up. I breath through my mouth though, nostrils dont get the air in fast enough when working hard. Wearing a buff just round your neck will help when breathing in cold air too.
  • Stalin
    Stalin Posts: 208
    iwilldoit wrote:
    Hi

Just looking for a bit of advise, I have only been MTB ing since the start of December and I'm 50 when climbing up hills ( quite steep ) I can't seem to keep up with my breathing. my legs still want to go but my lungs are bursting, up a long steady drag of a hill it isn't so bad.

I have been concentrating on breathing in through my nose and exhaling through my mouth for around twice as long as the inhale, but it seem as if I can't get enough air in through my nose.

Is there anything I can do or will it just get better the more I do and advise would be great.

Just one thought to day there was a gale blowing and that also seems to make it harder to breath through my nose, the wind was a right pain as I did around a 20 mile loop and it was in my face all the way Sad

Why breathe only through your nose? No one can ride hard breathing only through their nose.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Stalin wrote:

Why breathe only through your nose? No one can ride hard breathing only through their nose.

This ^^^^^^

Have a look at Chris Froome climbing Mont Ventoux in last years Tour http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMqAW6bgv2o he aint breathing through his nose. Sorry about the crappy music on the video.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • wandsworth
    wandsworth Posts: 354
    stubs wrote:
    Stalin wrote:

This ^^^^^^

Have a look at Chris Froome climbing Mont Ventoux in last years Tour http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMqAW6bgv2o he aint breathing through his nose. Sorry about the crappy music on the video.

That's what struck me about your post too. You're riding a bike not f---ing meditating :lol: . Breath however is most comfortable!
    Shut up, knees!

Various Boardmans, a Focus, a Cannondale and an ancient Trek.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Why breathe only through your nose? No one can ride hard breathing only through their nose

This. Unless I'm only doing a very steady ride there's no way I can breathe through my nose, you just can't get the volume of air in!