Film due for release next Friday

Lichtblick
Lichtblick Posts: 1,434
edited February 2014 in Pro race
Hi again

I rarely go to the cinema/movies, but a chance is coming up next Friday (31st Jan). To my surprise, looking through the listings, there is one due for release next week. A preliminary search here shows that some people already know about it (I had no knowledge of this film), but nevertheless..... would you go to see

The Armstrong Lie (122 minutes)

http://www.odeon.co.uk/films/the_armstrong_lie/14891/

My OH already said no way, so if I do see it, it'll be on my own.

Comments

• Lichtblick
    180 views and no reply. Is this a record?

Looks like I'd be seeing that film on my own, then.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    I think it has had a few London showings already Lichtblick, and was covered on the forum a couple of months back.
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    How much is Dopestrong making from this film? That will decide whether I pay to see it or just wait and download it
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    Four pages on it here;

viewtopic.php?f=40002&t=12940282
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    If you rarely get the chance to go to the cinema then watch something else. This is a documentary that will probably be on TV by the end of the year. Go and watch Gravity or at least something cinematic.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Lichtblick
    Ok, sorry, I haven't been here since, I think, the end of last year's TdF. I'd still like to see it, I think.

Gravity I'd like to see but it seems to be off the cinemas by the time we get there.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Taking the boy to see Hobbit 2 tmw, would like to see TAL too but no-one wants to go with me either so will await the BlinkBox launch and watch it on my Peta Todd.
  • Tom Dean
    Tom Dean Posts: 1,723
    durhamwasp wrote:
    How much is Dopestrong making from this film? That will decide whether I pay to see it or just wait and download it
    So if Armstrong gets paid, the rest deserve to work for free? You don't actually have to watch it at all if the idea is offensive to you.
    durhamwasp wrote:
    Dopestrong
    I see what you did there! tee hee
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    Lichtblick wrote:
    Ok, sorry, I haven't been here since, I think, the end of last year's TdF. I'd still like to see it, I think.

No need to apologise, the search function on here is rubbish at the best of times.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    I reckon I'll watch it at some point (I liked The Smartest Guy in the room)

Act of Killing is probably more worthy of watching though, and shows you just how screwed up humanity / morality can be.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Lichtblick
    Do any of you guys feel like some sleuthing? I know some of you live in or near London.

The date is Friday 31st January, location London. The only cinema I can find showing it is out in Hammersmith. Not good - we'll be in central London. The cinema we had in mind (Bayswater area) claims not to know what they're showing on Friday but it seems unlikely to me that they'll put that one one. I'll be happy to be wrong about that.

thanks
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Ooooh, I'm close to Hammersmith. Result!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,200
    ddraver wrote:
    Ooooh, I'm close to Hammersmith. Result!

Not really, if taken in a wider context.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    Thought this had been and gone - I saw it on a trip to the US last November
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,243
    iainf72 wrote:
    I reckon I'll watch it at some point (I liked The Smartest Guy in the room)

Act of Killing is probably more worthy of watching though, and shows you just how screwed up humanity / morality can be.

Smartest guy in the room was disappointed after I read the book....

Act of killing is a really fantastic idea. Very clever.
  • Philly8mt
    Philly8mt Posts: 552
    I actually watched the Armstrong film at a preview last night .... Tbf I really enjoyed it ... Free tickets, I wouldn't line his pockets either!

Worth a watch guys .... You sort of finding yourself getting more pissed with him every time they show another one of his denials (of which there are many) ... Don't want to spoil it ... Just go
    Still thinking of something clever to say!
  • I went to see this film tonight. Overall, it was a good documentary. You get the feeling though that Armstrong is still holding back so much of the truth. One of the most telling moments from Armstrong centres on the 2000 Tour and his comments in relation to the US Postal Team's level of doping during that race. I don't want to spoil that little segment for anyone but Armstrong's reaction might surprise some.

DD.

P.S. Betsy is fine. :wink:
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Mark Kermode (probably Britain's primary film critic) briefly reviewed this on Radio 5 on Friday. (He has no interest in sport). He generally gave the film the thumbs up saying that there were two stories in the film. Firstly the one about Armstrong himself and the secondly about how a good documentary film maker got sucked into his web of deceit. He said the latter was the better half of the film.

(As an aside, I wonder how many people who refuse to see it as it 'lines Armstrong's pockets' (I'm not sure it does) went to see the Wolf of Wall Street)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    If you know how to use a torrent client then it's available via Google.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    TMR wrote:
    If you know how to use a torrent client then it's available via Google.

Could you pm me that? I've been searching for a torrent for a while and they are all fake.
  • Is this likely to be on DVD/to rent soon, given it's a documentary and was originally released in November?

Similarly to Class of 92, which was in cinemas and on DVD at about the same time.
  • jerry3571
    jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
    Nothing much around where I am in the south west. :(

http://www.cineworld.co.uk/cinemas?film ... strong-lie
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
    -Jacques Anquetil
  • I have no interest in anything to do with Mr Armstrong.

Not sure I will even watch it for free.

All I want to hear from him is that he is going to speak to the authorities and name names to try and help clean up the sport.
  • shazzz
    shazzz Posts: 1,077
    Is this likely to be on DVD/to rent soon, given it's a documentary and was originally released in November?

Similarly to Class of 92, which was in cinemas and on DVD at about the same time.

iTunes has June 2014!
  • rayjay
    rayjay Posts: 1,384
    I have no interest in anything to do with Mr Armstrong.

Not sure I will even watch it for free.

All I want to hear from him is that he is going to speak to the authorities and name names to try and help clean up the sport.

What names ?

If cycling needs cleaning up , who do you suspect his doping? Do you still think the UCI cannot be trusted?

How is he going to clean up the sport? What do you think he could do?

Do you realise that riders were doping well before Armstrong and are still getting busted now?

Do you expect him to know who his doping now?

Do you realise it has been quite a few years since he last raced in the peloton.?

Do you think other riders who were doping at the time should help Armstrong clean up cycling or just Armstrong? and how are they going to clean up cycling?

What else do you think Armstrong could tell us?
  • I'm off to watch it tonight

I feel like I've heard Betsy and Vaughters and co say their stuff over and over again by now, but what I'm more interested in is what you (apparently) get to see of the tension and paranoia re Bert. And the footage from cameras on the bikes inside the peloton is supposed to be pretty good.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    shazzz wrote:
    Is this likely to be on DVD/to rent soon, given it's a documentary and was originally released in November?

iTunes has June 2014!

Out in the US on DVD / Bluray next week.

Which means it'll put in an appearance elsewhere in the next 3 or 4 days
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Highlights for me:

Lance's face when he watched 9 riders - and especially Bert - beat his '09 prologue time. Fury doesnt begin to describe it

Bert attacking on st 17 and the Hog losing his shoot in the team car. PRICELESS

Hog so clearly ranged alongside Lance, staring out of the window and commenting on Bert's press conference going on across the road

The Hog and Riis in their team cars talking about getting rid of Wiggins

The cam footage from the bike inside the race was pretty cool - wanted more of that

Ferrari comes across as much of an utter creep as I expected

Hincapie does not come across well AT ALL, bit of a dick

I'd forgotten just how bizarre-looking Vrijman is - like a reflection in a House of Mirrors

Gibney leaves no room for ambiguity re his feelings about the role played by Verbruggen

Gibney let off Lance very very lightly in the 2013 interview footage
  • TMR
    ThomThom wrote:
    Could you pm me that? I've been searching for a torrent for a while and they are all fake.

The file I found was a fake also. Bah! :(
  • TMR
    Hincapie does not come across well AT ALL, bit of a dick

:(