Scott Spark Chainstay

RS300325
RS300325 Posts: 14
edited January 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Thought the dialogue I've been having with my LBS and Scott may be of interest to other Spark owners.

I bought my 920 three weeks ago, and have put about 200 miles on it so far. After the first two or three rides, I noticed that water would exit from the chainstay if I lift the front of the bike after a ride/wash.

On inspection, the drive-side chainstay is an open section and water/mud can get into it by the cassette, there are pretty big entry points. If you use a low pressure hose to clean off the bike, you can expect quite a volume of water to accumulate in the chain stay - unlike the BB, there are no drain holes at the low point of the member. I explored the option of drilling drain holes with Scott (via the LBS), in summary I would say they aren't keen on the idea.

So its not a problem if you drain the chainstays (both drive and non-drive side) after washing the bike, and I've taken to storing my bike vertically, but I can't help feeling that a drain hole would be a more elegant solution. Not going to void my frame warranty though.

Anyway, I'm quite relaxed about it but thought I'd post my experience for the benefit of other Spark owners. Do other bikes/brands have the same experience?

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Some years ago, our Trek rep told us an anecdote of a customer of theirs in Canada - (road bike) frame fills with water via any one of a number of holes, temperature drops, water freezes, chain stays burst.

My Top Fuel used to fill with water, mainly because it had internal cable routing for a rear shock remote and front mech I didn't use - just used to turn it upside down and give it a shake periodically.
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    Can you cover the water entry points with sugru or is that not an option?
  • Ha sugrus awesome stuff
  • Having just Googled Sugru, I've found a bunch of uses for it in my house. But I'm not sure about plugging the chainstays on my Spark with it! Interesting thought though.
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    Why not? Just covering the holes in the top or whatever.. Don't see how it can hurt