Friday headcam fun! It's all gone a bit Pete Tong...

2»

Comments

• goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I'm going back to cycling in a football shirt. There's bullies out there and the shirt will help me fit in.

So long as you're not cycling through Upton Park with a Millwall FC shirt on....
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • goonz
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:
    Questionable?

A) I'd imagine that a driver is less likely to get out of their car if they didn't think they could get away with assaulting the cyclist.
    B) Whether its the camera man being assaulted or a fellow cyclist, the trend is clear. They usually show cyclists being assaulted.

Anyway, I'm not arguing with you, just humbly offering an explanation for all the headcam footage of cyclists being decked.
    You better not, I might land one on your chin... :P

You're a cyclist, the only landing one you talk about is a new KOM on strava.
  • goonz
    notsoblue wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    You better not, I might land one on your chin... :P
    :lol:

Actually, I don't think I've ever seen any cyclist on cyclist violence, has anyone else?

Really? Did you have to ask?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwKaeWkYbqk

Not pleasant viewing mind.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,245
    Think you're all missing a trick here.

Guy who gets punched gets some serious SCR scalps on the way to his punch.
  • Widgey
    Widgey Posts: 157
    Would that really be a scalp as it was around 10-20 seconds to the next set of lights.

I'm not a fan of the cyclists actions. The audi did pull forward in to the asl for no reason for but it didn't seem aggressive. The guy wanted a quick getaway. I would have got to the next point and waited behind, better to be right and safe than prove a point and injured. However physical abuse shouldn't tolerated.
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    The cyclist appears to shout "oi you f*^&ng prick, you just ran over my foot" or something along those lines. And its a passenger who jumps out and smacks him.

Still there was no shout as the car left the ASL and the camera misses if it did run over his foot. So no idea.
  • goonz
    Nearly ran over his foot. He wouldn't be pedalling that hard if it did.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Haven't bothered to watch the clip but I can well imagine the content because it will be exactly the same as all the other head cam violent confrontation that seems to find endless fascination and debate. The usual sad and pathetic non storyline in my humble opinion. Folks really should learn to grow up and get on with their lives...
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    I can't help but think there was more that went on before this video started as the Audi doesn't enter the ASL initially, but does after the bloke he has the argument with enters the ASL. Don't have sound at work so don't know what was said, but the guy has obviously given chase purely in order to have an argument. Unfortunately they were all too willing to give him more of an argument than he bargained for.
    I try not to get too stroppy as there is no way of telling what kind of nutter is in the car, but I can have my moments.

Yeah, I wondered that too. It's a very pointed "I'm going right smack bang dead centre of the lane, in front of you" bit of positioning.

I also noticed that once the Audi eases forward and round, and the cyclist wheels back to say "it's a cycle area" or some such, the passenger window of the Audi comes down. There's, I guess, something said which along with what might have been a close pass to his foot seems to have got the cyclist a wee bit riled... :wink:
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,879
    Every now and again someone who asks for a smack in the mouth gets one.

This seems like one of those times.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    The thing is, compared to some "driver passes too close" subjective YouTube vids, there is an absolute clear and undeniable motorist fault. He deliberately moved into the ASL. It's not like the cyclist arrived at the ASL and the car was in it, possibly caught out by a light change.

Whatever the pragmatic advice about "let it go, 'ees not wurf it" we all give on here, fact of life is that watching deliberate disregard for the rules (as opposed to carelessness/crapness/ignorance/incompetence) is galling. It gets people cross. Easy to say the cyclist should have let it go, but fundamentally, it is not right that he gets punched.

Anyway, the driver was in an Audi. Surely that deserves arrest anyway?
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    PBo wrote:
    The thing is, compared to some "driver passes too close" subjective YouTube vids, there is an absolute clear and undeniable motorist fault. He deliberately moved into the ASL. It's not like the cyclist arrived at the ASL and the car was in it, possibly caught out by a light change.

Whatever the pragmatic advice about "let it go, 'ees not wurf it" we all give on here, fact of life is that watching deliberate disregard for the rules (as opposed to carelessness/crapness/ignorance/incompetence) is galling. It gets people cross. Easy to say the cyclist should have let it go, but fundamentally, it is not right that he gets punched.

Oi! :lol:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    PBo wrote:

well it is a white Audi, everyone knows they should only be silver :D so you already know the driver is a bit up himself from the start before the confrontation.

interesting comments on the video though as some people are suggesting its not a proper ASL anyway as the line markings for it are wrong.
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    PBo wrote:

Don't start me on Audi drivers who moderate on scoobynet!!!
  • Don't think there has to have been any previous - the Audi driver's actions at the first lights could simply be him getting annoyed at cyclists plonking themselves in front of him. Pretty pointless really - as subsequent events prove, in town an Audi A5 is no quicker than an angry man in a raincoat on a bicycle, so he could have just had a bit of patience and not acted the aggressive bell-end.

Anyway, all a bit silly, but much more inclined to sympathise with the cyclist naturally.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    PBo wrote:
    PBo wrote:

Don't start me on Audi drivers who moderate on scoobynet!!!

I didn't Moderate I Administered :P
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • airbag
    airbag Posts: 201

Did you see them actually say that? I didn't.

One day, you or someone you love will be hurt, and I almost guarantee the attacker will have decided in retrospect that they asked for it. When that happens, please remember: you agreed with them. You might not think you did, but they will - and that's all that matters.

So do us a favour and don't act surprised when they take your logic that a perceived lack of respect counts as 'asking for it' to its logical conclusion, and don't waste time asking you sympathy. You asked for it.
  • This is on Huffpo now, btw, so inevitably the driver and the cyclist will both be tracked down and interviewed and this will become a huge issue.

I have to admit this one makes me uneasy. There's no excuse for the violence the driver (or passenger) inflicts, but the cyclist doesn't help by chasing down the car and screaming at the driver. I'm not saying he's 'asking for it', but his behaviour is not pretty. Maybe the car did drive over his foot. That would make me pretty mad.
    Shut up, knees!

Various Boardmans, a Focus, a Cannondale and an ancient Trek.
  • tailwindhome
    airbag wrote:

Did you see them actually say that? I didn't.

One day, you or someone you love will be hurt, and I almost guarantee the attacker will have decided in retrospect that they asked for it. When that happens, please remember: you agreed with them. You might not think you did, but they will - and that's all that matters.

So do us a favour and don't act surprised when they take your logic that a perceived lack of respect counts as 'asking for it' to its logical conclusion, and don't waste time asking you sympathy. You asked for it.

They may well be right

Or wrong

Depends on the circumstances at the time, doesn't it?

Who said that a ' perceived lack of respect counts' as asking for it?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • airbag

You did. If not, what else did he do that counts as- in your own words- asking for a smack in the mouth? That is what you said, despite the fact that at no point did anyone say 'I want to be smacked in the mouth'.

I can only assume you're picking up on some subtext where he said that that I missed. If you're allowed to decide that, why am I not allowed to decide to run you over because you were clearly asking for it by <insert random excuse here>? Do you think the vast majority of harmful acts are not justified by that exact logic?

Either anyone is allowed to, unilaterally, decide when violence is acceptable, or only the courts are. You've clearly stated your preference for the former by passing judgement, and I suspect that were someone else to pass that judgement on you, you wouldn't like it so much.
  • tailwindhome
    airbag wrote:

You did. If not, what else did he do that counts as- in your own words- asking for a smack in the mouth? That is what you said, despite the fact that at no point did anyone say 'I want to be smacked in the mouth'.

I can only assume you're picking up on some subtext where he said that that I missed. If you're allowed to decide that, why am I not allowed to decide to run you over because you were clearly asking for it by <insert random excuse here>? Do you think the vast majority of harmful acts are not justified by that exact logic?

Either anyone is allowed to, unilaterally, decide when violence is acceptable, or only the courts are. You've clearly stated your preference for the former by passing judgement, and I suspect that were someone else to pass that judgement on you, you wouldn't like it so much.

There wasn't any real subtext.

He charged up the road so he could scream abuse at someone.

He got a smack in the mouth

Not an unreasonable or entirely unexpected outcome.

Every circumstance is different. Nothing I've written should suggest otherwise.
  • airbag

For christ's sake be consistent. Either you're saying he asked for a smack or you're saying he didn't. Since I didn't hear him say so, what makes you think he did? And what would stop me using that exact same logic to justify almost any act of violence? If you can decide 'it's reasonable' without any coherent justification, so can I.

This 'every circumstance if different' is BS. If you can't provide a consistent reason for why X is okay but Y isn't, stop judging people.
  • tailwindhome
    airbag wrote:

For christ's sake be consistent. Either you're saying he asked for a smack or you're saying he didn't. Since I didn't hear him say so, what makes you think he did? And what would stop me using that exact same logic to justify almost any act of violence? If you can decide 'it's reasonable' without any coherent justification, so can I.

This 'every circumstance if different' is BS. If you can't provide a consistent reason for why X is okay but Y isn't, stop judging people.

You do understand 'asking for it' is a figure of speech, don't you?

In the context of this incident it means behaving in a way which invites or provokes a response.

Of course every circumstance is different. Had the Audi driver got out of his vehicle and hit the cyclists after the initial tap on the window I would have said his response was entirely unwarranted and wrong.

It's not complicated.

There's nothing to stop anyone 'using that exact logic to justify almost any act of violence'.

Whether it's reasonable depends on the situation, the provocation and the proportionality of the response.
  • navt
    navt Posts: 374
    There are roadworks prior to approaching the junction. There are signs advising motorist not to pass cyclist. Perhaps something happened before-hand not caught on camera. Either way both need to attend anger management classes.
  • It's made it onto the hatemail website, you have thought the cyclist had been a benefits scrounging Romanian who'd just collapsed the housing market given the predictable comments. Any one know if that was Ian Huggins in that Audi.
    If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.