benefits of steel.

flashbax
flashbax Posts: 52
edited January 2014 in MTB beginners
My cube has been damaged, and it was in the kitchen and I've no idea how it happened. Went out when I returned it was on the floor front mech bent and rear wheel totally sitting wrong.
Any ways I'm going to go for a second hand p7 pro good condition few added bits and one of the main reasons I'm getting it Fox vans. Now the cube acid was the best bike I could afford at the time and I loved it. But I'm gonna move up and the only way I can get the bits and an orange is second hand. Done research on the p7 pretty mixed it's either loved or despised but I've been riding round with an alloy frame for years and can't get much in the difference when looking at reviews.
What's the difference in riding all I can think of is weight. But does that make so much of a difference with good components?
Bearing in mind I get out locally on a few rides but nothing like some of the people on forum I'm what you might call a novice at all this.

Comments

• BigAl
    BigAl Posts: 3,122
    Confused

Buying a new frame isn't going to fix a front mech or wheel

Generally steel frames are a bit heavier, but offer a more 'compliant' ride, than an ally frame
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Can offer a more compliant ride. But with the new rules that is out of the window as the tubes have to be that thick any spring is removed.

Sounds like you need to have the bike looked at and the problem actually identified.

And then learn how to leave your bike. Many many many people leave bikes leaning against something and then find their forks ruined or .......

Bikes do fall over. Hang them from trees or lie them down so they can't fall over.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • It's just made me want to move on to something new now. I've had my cube a good 5 yrs and been in some big off's down hills up hills even scraped a kerb and had the most painfully embarrassing crash ever. But I've always been able to pick up the bike and sheepishly peddle away. Then I leave it after giving it a clean and lube and that happens
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    I have a 1990's steel framed orange c16r hardtail. It feels smoother and less harsh than my 2013 Carve. Both great bikes but I was surprised at the difference.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    The P7 isn't all that much different in ride quality to a good aluminium frame. It's a fairly heavy frame and the Fox Van fork is heavy so it's going to be a heavy bike.
    Which model Van fork is it? The basic Van R is pretty nasty.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    The P7 really isn't all that... Iconic name and they used to be great but they dropped the ball when the CEN regs came in and now it's really too heavy for the price. If it said On One on the side it'd cost £125 but it says Orange so it's £350 ;)

Most steel bikes these days are pretty lumpy. There's still a few that are sprightly (though even then, not as much as a nice old Kona or similiar) but they're all expensive.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • BigAl
    Northwind wrote:
    The P7 really isn't all that... Iconic name and they used to be great but they dropped the ball when the CEN regs came in and now it's really too heavy for the price. If it said On One on the side it'd cost £125 but it says Orange so it's £350 ;)

Most steel bikes these days are pretty lumpy. There's still a few that are sprightly (though even then, not as much as a nice old Kona or similiar) but they're all expensive.

My Duster is very sprightly - and they are still available n eBay for not a lot. My old Kona is lovely though
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Good call actually- I'd not noticed the price of a Duster these days, that's ace
    Uncompromising extremist
  • BigAl
    Northwind wrote:
    Good call actually- I'd not noticed the price of a Duster these days, that's ace

For £160 it's an absolute steal. Rides much like my old steel Kona - but with more modern geometry to take a 100/120 fork. For what I do it's just perfick
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    nicklouse wrote:
    Can offer a more compliant ride. But with the new rules that is out of the window as the tubes have to be that thick any spring is removed.

New rules?
  • BigAl
    nicklouse wrote:

New rules?
    Yeah, new rules apply. Frames have to pass CEN tests. Look it up
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    If it ain't steel it ain't real :wink:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • Well got it didn’t get much time out on it as my 2yr old is very demanding. But I did notice the balance of the frame is really different the bike pulls up really quickly and is easy to keep mono, LOL. The "fox Vans R" are not at all what I was expecting. I’ve only had rockshox and a very basic tora3 but they had lock out and a good stiff setting. These are like peddling on jelly and no matter what I do I cannot stiffen them up, was really looking forward to getting a bike with fox suspension. It’s something that’s always been out of my budget. I'll be getting out to landeglla in the next few weeks but the forks have stumped me a bit. I'll prob get used to them.
    But other than that I’m happy with what I’ve got the SLX gears are very similar to the ones on the cube but the Avid elixir 5s are an improvement over the stoker raids. So I’m happy with the £500 I spent. Just have to spend a few more hours on it and get to the IoM April.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    If they are air, add more, if coil you'll need a stiffer spring.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Yeah the issue I'm not sure, my brothers floats have a vale under the blue cap, I can't get the blue cap off mine so I'm assuming its a rebound dampner or something. I'm going to try and find a good second hand set of floats.
  • cooldad
    So download the manual. Pointless to assume.

Why the 'thing' about Fox - RS are generally much better value.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Spent about 2hrs last night trying to find something on the van Rs but between micky mouse club house and making sure the boy was'nt destroying something didnt find much.
    When I was doing the rounds looking into bike's as far back as when I first got on the forum back in 2009 every bike that I liked the look of had a set of fox and since then I 've had a thing for them. Every decent bike seemed to have them.
    And I've only every really used bottom end spec rockshox so fancied a totally new thing.
  • cooldad
    Fox webbie is probably the place to start.

http://www.ridefox.com/help.php?m=bike& ... ualarchive
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Cheers cooldad. I'll check it out now, works quite anyways..