Is TREK becoming slightly cool ?

specialgueststar
specialgueststar Posts: 3,418
edited January 2014 in Pro race
TREK and associated teams always seem to have a degree of naffness to me (is this just me?) However their status has been climbing the ranks. I've actually seen a couple of TREKs I would buy and the team seems to be at the right side of the coolometer

Is the zeitgeist a changing ?

Comments

• andytee87
    andytee87 Posts: 406
    It's worrying isn't it. I think some of the newer ones are much better than 2+ years old
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    Maybe. They're slowing shedding the accumulated baggage of the Armstrong era, they've got some genuinely interesting bikes out (Boone, Domane, Crockett) and they're sponsoring Sven Nys. (Not to mention Katie Compton.)

I still think BB90 is sh1t though.
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    Maybe. They're slowing shedding the accumulated baggage of the Armstrong era, they've got some genuinely interesting bikes out (Boone, Domane, Crockett) and they're sponsoring Sven Nys. (Not to mention Katie Compton.)

I still think BB90 is sh1t though.

agreed. sponsoring Sven Nys is huge Kudos he's awesome.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • rayjay
    rayjay Posts: 1,384
    These are the coolest treks I have ever seen, being tested by some trek boys.

They should race them like this [lots of pic's so I'm ok rich]

http://triathlete-europe.competitor.com ... rek-frames
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Yeah I think Trek is getting cooler - Cancellara and Voigt on the road, Nys and Compton for Cross. Oh and MTN Qhubeka are pretty cool too.

And as already mentioned the Domane and the new Cross bikes are very interesting. I think Project One gives them an advantage over competitors too?
  • Trek Factory Racing has certainly a better ring than The Shack - TREK Leopard whatever it was etc

This current team must be the most multinational and extreme age range from four 20/ 21 year olds to Legs 11 42

I counted 17 different flags!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trek_Factory_Racing
  • yeah I like them, hired one in Lanzarote a few years ago and was nice, but i'm not a fan of bontrager components and they still have a bit of Armstrong lingering around them but given time that should go. I don't think project one is really worth the money, I would rather spend the extra money on nicer components than a different paint job.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    They are just making good bikes, I got the Domane after trying a few of the competitors and it blew them away. Seeing Cancellara riding them to victory at Flanders and Roubaix is pretty much the best advertising you can get.

They don't have the prestige of the Italian brands so have had to make up for it by making good bikes. I used to think they were boring as hell but I love mine.

The new kit isn't as cool as last years but I'm getting more used to it.

The project one is probably only worth it on the higher end models, if you have that sort of money to splash anyway. Cheaper than a re-paint and wouldn't affect the warranty though so if you did want your teams colours it isn't a bad idea.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,200
    I still can't warm to them, though it's not really possible to be less cool than The Shack.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Still not enough for me to like them.

Lance, the Schlecks, stealing Celeste from Bianchi last summer...

Not a fan.

Although the Project one bike in ride cycling review could start to turn me.
  • rayjay
    I don't understand how some of you hint at not liking a bike because the rider doped. It's shallow.

I'm not a fan of Garmin but the RCA is my fav tour bike and those Gabba jerseys are very cool.

Question ,,,,Armstrong on a Pinarello, would the world end?
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Rajay - I'm not a fan specifically because of the stories about how Lemond got treated, presumably at the behest of Lance. Having said that, other companies I tar with the same brush are Oakley and Nike TBF...
  • TimB34
    TimB34 Posts: 316
    I always find the name "Trek" uninspiring - it conjures up images of tediously trudging across endless, dull landscapes.

Although I actually quite like the new team kit (looks much better on the bike than in the team presentation pics)
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    Just out of curiosity, how differently are Trek viewed in the MTB world seeing as the Armstrong "legacy" isn't quite so relevant ?

Just to declare an interest here, my winter bike is a Trek and whilst it is fairly boring (certainly to look at) it has done the job more than adequately for years. The summer / dry bike is a Wilier though and that is a thing of beauty
  • You sum it up quite well.

There is something missing for the Romantic cycling fan.
  • Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
    There's just something very 'corporate' about Trek ... Same with Specialized ...

I have more issue with the blanket supply of parts and accessories (via Bontrager in Trek's case) rather than the bikes themselves ... The stuff just always looks cheap and uninspired ...
  • Personally , I reckon my Domane 5.9 is the coolest thing, ever.

Lots of there older stuff is a bit naff, but theres no escaping they are now pretty cool.
    Trek,,,, too cool for school ,, apparently
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    I always avoided because of the Armstrong connection. The LeMond shenanigans put me off even further.

You could say that they and Specialized have all the romance of Ford & Vauxhall, compared to the Ferrari & Lamborghini heritage of the Italian brands.
    Although in practice, if we follow the allegory, Bianchi are like Fiat and whatever happened to Lancia in the UK...?

But things like that DuoTrap Ant+ sensor built-into the chainstay rather than a cabletied-on Garmin sensor are cool.

And with their size and R&D budget, you'd think they would actually know how to make a decent bike compared to some far smaller exotic-sounding competitor
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Given £3k to spend on a bike, Trek would be pretty much at the bottom. No style or panache whatsoever.

Gimme a nice De Rosa any day
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Take the paint off and all the bikes are pretty much the same.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    There's just something very 'corporate' about Trek ... Same with Specialized ...

I have more issue with the blanket supply of parts and accessories (via Bontrager in Trek's case) rather than the bikes themselves ... The stuff just always looks cheap and uninspired ...
    I would love to know what Crankbrother rides, my bet is on a Team Sky replica Dogma :mrgreen:
  • I like the way the domaine flexs, pretty cool technology and I think if i was in the market for a slight more relaxed bike as opposed to an all out racer that would be high on the list. Think a problem they have over here is that their dealer is much more laid back than the dealer for specilized, cannondale and giant and so if you go to either of the shops your much less likely to come out with a Trek
  • rayjay
    RichN95 wrote:

Just Treks or all bikes?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    rayjay wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Just Treks or all bikes?
    All pro bikes.
    Or all bikes in the same price range made from the same material.
    Whichever you please.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    RichN95 wrote:
    rayjay wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Just Treks or all bikes?
    All pro bikes.
    Whichever you please.

Go on. School'im, rayjay. I got your 6.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    I don't know if Trek are becoming cool, but most people have no taste anyway, look at how most people dress or what they choose to drive, or how they have their hair cut ...not many people want any individuality anyway and then most of the people wanting to display a bit of individuality want to look desperately 'alternative' to simply stand out.
  • rayjay
    RichN95 wrote:
    rayjay wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Just Treks or all bikes?
    All pro bikes.
    Whichever you please.

I tend to agree with you.
  • Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
    Paul 8v wrote:

I would love to know what Crankbrother rides, my bet is on a Team Sky replica Dogma :mrgreen:

Sadly, a SuperSix ... It's crap ... But I sold my Six13 before I realised ...
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    I still maintain a Trek Fuel EX9 I rode a few years back is the best bikie ever rode. It pains me that I didn't buy it. Therefore, larry or no Larry, I've struggled to get too much of a downer on them. Plus I confess I think the new Madones are really rather purty....
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Coyote
    Coyote Posts: 212
    Bought a Domane 5.9 and then moved on a Pinarello Paris, a Kinesis Grand Fondo and a Titus Solera as I just didn't need them anymore. The saddle was even comfy and that's after lots of years - and money! - spent on Fizik Aliante's. Used some of the dosh from selling the other bikes to buy a nice pair of Mavic R-Sys SLS's but there's nothing too shabby about the Bonty wheels it comes with, I'm using them every day on the commuter. Is it cool? I've really no idea but it is the best bike I've owned. Oh yes, nearly forgot...I used the rest of the money to buy a Crockett - another cracker! If the six balls drop tomorrow night I'll be in the queue for a Project One team issue. :D
    Looking at the Trek Factory Team shaping up for this season, there's not much not to like as far as I can tell.