Friday headcam fun! It's all gone a bit Pete Tong...

greg66_tri_v2.0
greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
edited January 2014 in Commuting chat
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfdvIfT8H5c

Hands up anyone who thinks that *any* participant in that lot covers themselves in glory.
Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
Bike 2-A

Comments

• DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    as seen on another bike forum:
    "some road users, regardless of the means of transport, no matter how poor their behaviour, always go ape shit if someone says anything to them."
    If you chase after & remonstrate with a driver, expect handbags or punishment pass as a likely outcome.
  • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfdvIfT8H5c

Hands up anyone who thinks that *any* participant in that lot covers themselves in glory.

Sound off, but yes road rage by both parties by looks of things, doesn't condone punching someone for being sworn at mind.
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    knobs.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    More a case of "hands up if you think PoPo will award Audi kn0b his points / fine for entering ASL on the basis of the video.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Love the way everyone barges infront of everyone else and totally clogs the ASL. The sort of video that makes me so glad I don't live in London - it just looks terrible.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Shoaling. Favourite pastime of the chopper.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Rolf F wrote:
    Love the way everyone barges infront of everyone else and totally clogs the ASL. The sort of video that makes me so glad I don't live in London - it just looks terrible.

***obligatory "London isn't always like that" comment***
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    I do have to ask though, if the cyclist had been, oh, say Clever Pun, would the driver got out of his car. Likeways, had drum & bass or worse rap music been blaring from the speakers would the cyclist have been so eager to give chase.

But on a serious note, cyclists come on... there are too many videos of us getting decked and knocked the f*ck out with one punch. I've never such a collection of 'chinny' blokes in my life. Like they all thought we RLJ'd, motorists are gonna start thinking we're all pussies and the next time I'm in a barny with one he'll be aiming for my chin.

If a motorist punches you kick his wing mirror off his car. It's the only way to keep the Universe in balance.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Heheh - must admit, I worked out a long time ago that having one foot on the floor, one clipped in, and a bike between your legs is not an ideal defensive or attacking position for the commencement of combat.

For that matter, roadie shoes don't really provide the most stable base if you want to go all Sugar Ray Robinson on someone either.

I can't be the only person to have worked this out, shirley?
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    Heheh - must admit, I worked out a long time ago that having one foot on the floor, one clipped in, and a bike between your legs is not an ideal defensive or attacking position for the commencement of combat.

For that matter, roadie shoes don't really provide the most stable base if you want to go all Sugar Ray Robinson on someone either.

Ha ha yes. There are a whole host of things that give us cyclists a disadvantage when entering a into combat. As well as the above we don't have a getaway car, we often have less upper body strength and also body weight than some big bruiser types and skintight lycra doesn't offer much protection from falls or indeed fisty cuffs.

Anyways I'm not really the figthing type, although I do agree with Dondaddy.

The cyclist in this video could have just let the driver fly off into the distance and got on with his day.... but noooo. You have to remeber that if they drive like a d1ckhead then they probably are a d1ckhead. Let them go and move on. It has taken me a number of years to learn this lesson to be fair.
  • DonDaddyD
    Heheh - must admit, I worked out a long time ago that having one foot on the floor, one clipped in, and a bike between your legs is not an ideal defensive or attacking position for the commencement of combat.

Nope you're not, unless its a freshly attached cleat (SPD-SL for me) you're gonna look like broken toe Haye when he fought Klitschko (he kept falling over). But these string of knockouts aren't good for our rep, we already wear lycra and shave our legs... But besides all that, cyclists are supposed to be super-fit and strong. Taking Balham hill every day, and dropping the hammer to 30mph has got to amount for something. There has to be one video on Youtube of a cyclist, in London, decking a motorist!?

I'm going back to cycling in a football shirt. There's bullies out there and the shirt will help me fit in.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • notsoblue
    edited January 2014
    Well the main two reasons why you don't see many videos of cyclists physically assaulting drivers are:
    a) Drivers are usually protected by their cars
    b) Helmet cam footage is intended to serve the cyclist as evidence of them being the victim of an attack. You'd have to be pretty thick to assault a driver and then put the evidence on youtube.
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    DDD:
    I'm going back to cycling in a football shirt.

Just make sure it's a Man City one. Then everyone will be your friend :D
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • People pick fights they can win or think they can, used to be a postie years back one of our posties names in the office was Klingon/wookie/Viking and so on, we found that public that threaten violence became calm and polite if he was put on that delivery for a while.....
  • DonDaddyD
    notsoblue wrote:
    Well the main two reasons why you don't see many videos of cyclists physically assaulting drivers are:
    a) Drivers are usually protected by their cars
    b) Helmet cam footage is intended to serve the cyclist as evidence of them being the victim of an attack. You'd have to be pretty thick to assault a driver and then put the evidence on youtube.
    OK genius with the questionable avatar image.

a) Drivers have to get out of their cars to deck motorists, why can the end result be them getting decked.

b) The video that started this discussion was an altercation between another cyclist, other than the one doing the filming, and a motorist. So it is entirely feasible for a cyclist to film another cyclist/motorist altercation where the cyclist decks the motorist, surely?
    Food Chain number = 4

• DonDaddyD
    msmancunia wrote:
    DDD:

You know if you wore an Arsenal shirt and rode a bianchi (road bike)* then...

*and play Star Trek Online, general computer games, Halo, collect comics and occassionally like to dress up as Super-girl, Batgirl, Batwoman (the heels) and any female starfleet officer or alien in the origianl series of Star Trek....
    Food Chain number = 4

• notsoblue
    Questionable?

A) I'd imagine that a driver is less likely to get out of their car if they didn't think they could get away with assaulting the cyclist.
    B) Whether its the camera man being assaulted or a fellow cyclist, the trend is clear. They usually show cyclists being assaulted.

Anyway, I'm not arguing with you, just humbly offering an explanation for all the headcam footage of cyclists being decked.
  • fat_tail
    fat_tail Posts: 786
    all I can say is that was a nice smooth road surface.
    Ridley Fenix SL
  • DonDaddyD
    notsoblue wrote:
    Questionable?

A) I'd imagine that a driver is less likely to get out of their car if they didn't think they could get away with assaulting the cyclist.
    B) Whether its the camera man being assaulted or a fellow cyclist, the trend is clear. They usually show cyclists being assaulted.

Anyway, I'm not arguing with you, just humbly offering an explanation for all the headcam footage of cyclists being decked.
    You better not, I might land one on your chin... :P
    Food Chain number = 4

• notsoblue
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    :lol:

Actually, I don't think I've ever seen any cyclist on cyclist violence, has anyone else?
  • DonDaddyD
    Also, is no one gonna mention the scalping of the camera vigilante and his inability to MTFU and catch the cyclist back? I was watching the video and as the cyclist - who got punched - overtook the camera cyclist, looked like they were going fairly fast, I caught myself saying "scalp" and thinking at what point would I start to counterattack....
    Food Chain number = 4

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    I can't help but think there was more that went on before this video started as the Audi doesn't enter the ASL initially, but does after the bloke he has the argument with enters the ASL. Don't have sound at work so don't know what was said, but the guy has obviously given chase purely in order to have an argument. Unfortunately they were all too willing to give him more of an argument than he bargained for.
    I try not to get too stroppy as there is no way of telling what kind of nutter is in the car, but I can have my moments.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    nice left hook and did you see the number of RLJ bastards at that junction?

bloody cyclists :twisted:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    notsoblue wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Actually, I don't think I've ever seen any cyclist on cyclist violence, has anyone else?
    By the look of the avatar nsb's chin has grown considerably and it would make quite a target, but may break your fist.
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    notsoblue wrote:

I think the closest I've come was this week, but it ended up being a civil affair.

Picture the scene... I'm riding along a road, and another cyclist suddenly emerges from a cycle path to my left, causing me to brake and swerve.

Me: Oi! You didn't even look!
    Him: You haven't got a helmet on!
    Me: What, I should wear a helmet for people like you?
    Him: (grinning) Yeah!
    Me: Heheh. Well you're not the worst I've had there. But one day I'm sure it's going to be a car that someone just rides out in front of.

Then we rode the rest of the way together, chatting. I suppose cyclists don't tend to go off on a "you don't pay road tax" or "get off the road" tirade.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • notsoblue
    :D

I love the immediate, almost reflex "You're not wearing a helmet!!" reaction that some people have when they know they've done something wrong.
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    msmancunia wrote:
    DDD:

You know if you wore an Arsenal shirt and rode a bianchi (road bike)* then...

*and play Star Trek Online, general computer games, Halo, collect comics and occassionally like to dress up as Super-girl, Batgirl, Batwoman (the heels) and any female starfleet officer or alien in the origianl series of Star Trek....

Well my next bike, courtesy of my £2k cycle to work scheme is going to be a Bianchi, but you'll never see me in Goonerwear. And I'm a Star Wars girl, not Star Trek, and haven't played a computer game since our Atari got stolen about twenty years ago.

So are you Comic Book Guy from The Simpsons? :lol:
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I do have to ask though, if the cyclist had been, oh, say Clever Pun, would the driver got out of his car. Likeways, had drum & bass or worse rap music been blaring from the speakers would the cyclist have been so eager to give chase.

But on a serious note, cyclists come on... there are too many videos of us getting decked and knocked the f*ck out with one punch. I've never such a collection of 'chinny' blokes in my life. Like they all thought we RLJ'd, motorists are gonna start thinking we're all pussies and the next time I'm in a barny with one he'll be aiming for my chin.

If a motorist punches you kick his wing mirror off his car. It's the only way to keep the Universe in balance.

I don't get much in the way of threatening behaviour, but then I don't act the ass either.. a few times I've knocked on a window for a friendly chat and I've seen them mouth "oh shit" :lol:

Edit: Right which arsehole has set the autocorrect?
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Clever Pun
    wouldn't cycling in a footie shirt invite "Banter"?
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • Clever Pun
    notsoblue wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

I've seen it once, absolutely pathetic hand flapping... Embarrassing being near them with a bike... worse than being associated with rlj'ers
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5