Bike Sheds

bdave262000
bdave262000 Posts: 270
edited January 2014 in Commuting chat
My wife is at her wits end as she says I have managed to turn our dining room into a dumping ground for bikes. Not all mine I hasten to add (three children’s and two adults). She cycles to school with the children everyday so is also fed up of dragging the bikes through the house. I am trying to alleviate her stress by purchasing an outside bike shed.

With this in mind, has anyone got any recommendations for a bike storage shed? It will need to house one adult and two kids bikes (mine and son number 1's will still be kept safely tucked inside). Nothing too tall in terms of height as it will be going in the (small) front garden. Not expecting it to be a secure lock up as the combined value of the bikes that will go in it is about £50 and will be locked together but still don't want it to fall apart after a year. I have had a look on-line and some of the reviews on various ones are a bit hit and miss. Any recommendations would be appreciated.
Fat lads take longer to stop.

Comments

• sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    This is excellent and very secure, I have one and recommend it.
    http://www.asgardsss.co.uk/bike-cycle-s ... -bike-shed

This is cheap, but not as cheap as it was, but not secure at all.
    http://www.diy.com/nav/garden/sheds-sto ... d-12297518
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • Sketchley wrote:
    This is excellent and very secure, I have one and recommend it.
    http://www.asgardsss.co.uk/bike-cycle-s ... -bike-shed

This is cheap, but not as cheap as it was, but not secure at all.
    http://www.diy.com/nav/garden/sheds-sto ... d-12297518

Thanks Sketchley, the top one looks good so may justify the extra spend.
  • menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484
    I also have an asgard. Very well made and very secure.
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Asgard - serious piece of kit. You could put the damn thing on the pavement and know your bikes are safe.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,485
    +1 for the Asgard. Money well spent.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    I've seen it mentioned that the Asgard sheds can be bought through Halfords, so British Cycling discount could be used or perhaps if you're not in a hurry, the next 20% off accessories offer.
  • DrLex wrote:
    I've seen it mentioned that the Asgard sheds can be bought through Halfords, so British Cycling discount could be used or perhaps if you're not in a hurry, the next 20% off accessories offer.

Thanks Guys, Asgard it is.
  • £450 for the 4 bike shed from Asgard (much cheaper than Halfords!)

http://www.asgardsss.co.uk/home-categor ... storage-x4
    Commuting between Twickenham <---> Barbican on my trusty Ridgeback Hybrid - url=http://strava.com/athletes/125938/badge]strava[/url
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    That's the one my mate's got. It will fit 4 bikes (mix of adult and child)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    If someone wants your bikes no shed is going to be a hindrance. A guy from my club had all his bikes pinched from an alarmed shed, by time he got downstairs they were gone (within a minute).

In the house is only option for me, thankfully I have the space.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • We've had a bike nicked from the garden, and suspect we would have lost more but that the scum were disturbed.

The solution I now adopt is two fold. First, a fully alarmed out building. Secondly, all seven bikes are chained to each other. The chains and padlocks cost as much as a single nice bike, but are less than 10% of the value of what they hold together. It's Abus 14KS gauge if anyone is interested. It takes an entire grinding wheel to get close to getting through a link.

If someone can carry seven bikes and roughly 35kg of chain away, they deserve to keep them.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • rjsterry
    okgo wrote:
    If someone wants your bikes no shed is going to be a hindrance. A guy from my club had all his bikes pinched from an alarmed shed, by time he got downstairs they were gone (within a minute).

In the house is only option for me, thankfully I have the space.

That rather depends how secure your house is. I've seen plenty of houses less secure than a decent steel shed.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• okgo
    Takes a more gutsy crim to break into a house I reckon.

Agree though, I reckon most houses would be 15 seconds to get into with a hammer.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • rjsterry
    True enough. You'd at least assume that a shed wasn't occupied.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    I've outfitted the asgard with floor anchors for additional security and it's also got a PIR inside with audible alarm.

What I wish I'd also done is opt for some shelves and hooks, as the clutter on the floor is driving me insane; most of which could have been accommodated on said shelves and hooks.

edit: oh and 4 bikes only if you arrange them very carefully. Mine will just about accomodate a hybrid, roadbike, CX and wife's MTB it won't fit my MTB inside though but 3 bikes are very manageable
  • sketchley
    The only two question you need to ask yourself is have you made it difficult for them, and are you insured if they do manage to get to the bikes. For me the Asgard I linked above is a clear yes to both.
    --
    Chris

• sketchley
    If you think your house is more secure, google euro cylinder snapping. Then look at here http://www.avocet-hardware.co.uk/product.asp?id=48
    --
    Chris

• okgo
    Nothing is secure, you have to think about how far a criminal is willing to go for a bike, I reckon breaking into a shed rates as a 1 on peoples scale of risk, breaking into someones house where alarms, CCTV, dogs, owner with gun etc etc is probably a lot higher up the scale.
  • ic.
    ic. Posts: 769
    Last time my shed was broken into (It's happened twice, 2nd time by way of removing the roof), the copper that came round was saying the type of crim that shed breaks isn't the type to house break.

The punishment for house burglary is far far more apparently.

An Asgard is as good as you will get for outside storage. I wish I had one. I think I probably will when I move house next

Get a decent insurance policy and a lot of locks. Keep things out of sight. Look into SmartWater etc. Look at the small print or the insurance policy, I only found out after my first claim that there was a 20% excess for wooden sheds.
    2020 Reilly Spectre - raw titanium
    2020 Merida Reacto Disc Ltd - black on black
    2015 CAAD8 105 - very green - stripped to turbo bike
    2018 Planet X Exocet 2 - grey

The departed:

2017 Cervelo R3 DI2 - sold
    Boardman CX Team - sold
    Cannondale Synapse - broken
    Cube Streamer - stolen
    Boardman Road Comp - stolen
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Kingston police do free security bike marking every now and then. If you contact your local neighbourhood thingy group they may even come to your house and do them if you have a few bikes. I persuaded them to come to my local pub and do a few bikes a while ago. This is mainly aimed at the op as he is in Kingston.
    They reckon the marking does act as a bit of a deterrent as well as making the bike traceable if it is stolen.
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    Kingston police do free security bike marking every now and then. If you contact your local neighbourhood thingy group they may even come to your house and do them if you have a few bikes. I persuaded them to come to my local pub and do a few bikes a while ago. This is mainly aimed at the op as he is in Kingston.
    They reckon the marking does act as a bit of a deterrent as well as making the bike traceable if it is stolen.

Got my bike marked, but would be a good idea to get the others done too.
  • patrickf
    patrickf Posts: 536
    gbsahne wrote:
    What I wish I'd also done is opt for some shelves and hooks, as the clutter on the floor is driving me insane; most of which could have been accommodated on said shelves and hooks.
    You can buy the Asgard ones and fit them retrospectively. I bought one half-width shelf and wished I'd just got a second. I'm going to order one at some point and fit it.