New weapon: 2012 Specialized Allez Elite

m3ta1head
m3ta1head Posts: 23
edited July 2014 in Your road bikes
My new steed & first real road bike...just picked her up 3 weeks ago, have been racking up the miles and have already started the process of upgrading components :lol:

click for high res

nA9V2nJ.jpg

click for high res

WQ2uDuV.jpg

click for high res

km1uk2J.jpg

Comments

• Looks great. Nice colour scheme.
  • Great choice. Hard to beat as a first choice. Enjoy!
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • Lovely bike and lovely back drop as well. Where are you located? I would kill to see that weather right now!
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Bike looks nice as does the location. :)
  • Nice bike, and lucky you aren't in the uk
  • Thanks fellas...I live in Southern California. It may look nice (and I have a lot of elevation to play around in), but it's absolutely scorching this time of year. This morning (630am) I left for a 84mi ride down to the beach and back with ~2000ft climbing, and by 11am the temperature was already 102F/38C :shock: Was pretty beat after riding home through that (return is all climbing too).
  • Nice, liking the colour scheme. Whats the spec?
  • m3ta1head wrote:
    Thanks fellas...I live in Southern California. It may look nice (and I have a lot of elevation to play around in), but it's absolutely scorching this time of year. This morning (630am) I left for a 84mi ride down to the beach and back with ~2000ft climbing, and by 11am the temperature was already 102F/38C :shock: Was pretty beat after riding home through that (return is all climbing too).

That is the kind of weather I like. I spend a lot of time in Austria and we regularly ride in 40 degrees. It is what I love :D
  • Spec is fairly stock, Tiagra 4600 all around with a FSA crank and Ultegra 6700 wheelset. Tips the scales at 19.8lbs (w/ pedals and bottle cages). Having already replaced the stock wheelset, what do you guys reckon is the next best place to shed a few grams? Tbh I am quite happy with the performance of the Tiagra groupset-shifts are quick and smooth, and the brakes are superb as well (even on stock pads). The ride is stiff and can get a bit harsh on rough surfaces. Should I look at getting carbon bars/stem/seatpost next to shed weight/improve road comfort?
  • diamonddog
    Belly if you need to. :)
    Sorry had to say it.
  • diamonddog
    Tyres quite a few grams to be saved if yours are heavy and less rolling resistance but TBH I would just ride it and replace stuff as it wears out. :)
  • diamonddog wrote:
    Belly if you need to. :)
    Sorry had to say it.

I weigh a lean 58kg, plus about 10kg for the bike as it stands right now. Not sure I can lose anymore on my side :lol:
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    An 84 mile ride with only 2000ft of climbing, blimey, California has more in common with Norfolk than just the cool hip residents :)
  • Updated pics

LeRh0er.jpg

f4okdcP.jpg

aIf3rAz.jpg
  • dwanes
    dwanes Posts: 954
    Nice looking bike. The ultegra chainset is a good improvement. Good job.

Good quality photos also.
  • buckles
    buckles Posts: 694
    Linking the off-centre composition of these photos
    25% off your first MyProtein order: sign up via https://www.myprotein.com/referrals.lis ... EE-R29Y&li or use my referral code LEE-R29Y
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    Buckles wrote:

Me too, funny how I'd never even contemplate putting the bike smack bang middle of the shot.
  • dwanes
    dwanes Posts: 954
    Putting the bike there in the frame gives the bike somewhere to go, as they say in the trade

M3TA, what camera do you use?
  • Buckles wrote:

Rule of thirds, a basic principle of photography :wink:

I rarely put my subjects in the center of the frame unless I am shooting a portrait.
    dwanes wrote:
    Putting the bike there in the frame gives the bike somewhere to go, as they say in the trade

M3TA, what camera do you use?

Exactly. Equipment is nothing special, Canon 450D + 50mm f/1.8
  • Nice work metalhed
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    lovely... nice clear shots.
  • buckles
    m3ta1head wrote:
    Buckles wrote:

I rarely put my subjects in the center of the frame unless I am shooting a portrait.
    I dismissed that rule instantly when I first started photography... I hated the idea of composing photos using some sort of numerical rule... like a calculating robot instead of a spontaneous human being. However I'd say most of my photos can roughly be split into thirds, it's just the way a lot of photos naturally end up! I find it quite disappointing, even irritating when you see professional photographers (or anybody for that matter) shoot bike races with the subject always smack bang in the centre of the frame, as if they're slaves to autofocus and haven't yet figured out that the camera has more than one autofocus point...

Anyway, rant over, nice bike!
    25% off your first MyProtein order: sign up via https://www.myprotein.com/referrals.lis ... EE-R29Y&li or use my referral code LEE-R29Y
  • buckles
    Buckles wrote:
    Argh, I meant liking, not "linking"!
  • Buckles wrote:
    m3ta1head wrote:
    Buckles wrote:

I dismissed that rule instantly when I first started photography... I hated the idea of composing photos using some sort of numerical rule... like a calculating robot instead of a spontaneous human being. However I'd say most of my photos can roughly be split into thirds, it's just the way a lot of photos naturally end up! I find it quite disappointing, even irritating when you see professional photographers (or anybody for that matter) shoot bike races with the subject always smack bang in the centre of the frame, as if they're slaves to autofocus and haven't yet figured out that the camera has more than one autofocus point...

Yup. I agree on all points...the advent of digital photography has made it far too easy for any schmuck to pick up a multi thousand dollar DSLR and fire away like a machinegun at 24fps...photography is an art form, and it should be treated as such! I'm lucky to have learned how to shoot on film (where every shot must count) before picking up a digital camera :)
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    m3ta1head wrote:
    Buckles wrote:
    m3ta1head wrote:
    Buckles wrote:

Yup. I agree on all points...the advent of digital photography has made it far too easy for any schmuck to pick up a multi thousand dollar DSLR and fire away like a machinegun at 24fps...photography is an art form, and it should be treated as such! I'm lucky to have learned how to shoot on film (where every shot must count) before picking up a digital camera :)
    I have learnt something today! Must look at some more photo tips, those pictures look great.
  • m3ta1head
    Just finished installing new gruppo (full 6700), only thing missing from this photo is the 3T Dorico Team seatpost (currently on the way). Will take better pics soon.

v9if8fH.jpg
  • bluemoon17
    bluemoon17 Posts: 718
    That looks great, nice saddle to bar drop and the groupset looks great on it. I have the same frame and wish mine looked half as good as this!
  • Devastazione
    Devastazione Posts: 280
    m3ta1head wrote:
    Just finished installing new gruppo (full 6700), only thing missing from this photo is the 3T Dorico Team seatpost (currently on the way). Will take better pics soon.

v9if8fH.jpg

Why in the world you decided to put the dreadful Ultegra 6700 :shock: :shock: ??
    Specialized Tarmac Sworks
    Canyon Spectral 8.9
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    m3ta1head wrote:

v9if8fH.jpg

Why in the world you decided to put the dreadful Ultegra 6700 :shock: :shock: ??

Probably because it's a good groupset available at a good price.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • m3ta1head
    m3ta1head wrote:

v9if8fH.jpg

Dreadful? :lol: I picked up the group dirt cheap and couldn't be happier at all.