Aaarrrggghhh Liggett

shipley
shipley Posts: 549
edited January 2014 in Pro race
The new Murray Walker.

I've seen 2 stages of the TDU and he has called it wrong, on the line both times.

Latest one was " There's going to be no stopping Andre Greipel, er Gerrans wins it"

The man's an idiot. :roll:

Comments

• No arguments here with that statement
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    Shipley wrote:
    The new Murray Walker.

I've seen 2 stages of the TDU and he has called it wrong, on the line both times.

Latest one was " There's going to be no stopping Andre Greipel, er Gerrans wins it"

The man's an idiot. :roll:

He and Sherwen are tremendous VFM during the first three weeks of July. Get some mates around and some booze in and play Phil and Paul Bingo
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Phil and Paul Bingo
    Are there rules or is it just when he cocks up? I actually met him when I was a kid, he seemed alright to be fair. I grew up listening to him on the TDF and Murray walker on the F1 so I'm pretty used to people getting it wrong.

Liggett is the trivia king as far as I can tell though...
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    At least they weren't be comparing everybody to Lance any more...
  • Yellow Peril
    Paul 8v wrote:
    Phil and Paul Bingo
    Are there rules or is it just when he cocks up? I actually met him when I was a kid, he seemed alright to be fair. I grew up listening to him on the TDF and Murray walker on the F1 so I'm pretty used to people getting it wrong.

every year there is a thread on Phil & Paul, I love 'em to bits. It usually highlights howlers of the day but also lists their classic one liners which is the bingo element. Pick a stage and listen out for the following (just examples) and have a drink every time you hear...

"Put the hammer down" (one of sherwen's, you'll be literally hammered in the last 5km's of a sprint stage)
    "dancing on the pedals" (usually a mountain stage)
    "turning himself inside out" (ditto)
    "digging deep into the suitcase of courage" (a personal favourite, should be finish your pint)
    "Amgen tour of California" (mentioned a ridiculous amount of times)
    "Big [ ]" (a prefix to any rider held in esteem such as Hincapie, Voigt, Julian Dean (who was also prefixed with New Zealand national Champion even when he probably wasn't)
    I could go on ad-infinitum but now I'm getting excited and 6 months ahead of myself!
    @JaunePeril

• Yellow Peril
    Time
    For
    A
    Change

It would be like Christmas without Santa Claus
    @JaunePeril

• i prefer that to, tirty torty kilometers, or making the calculation you get with Kelly, have been known to often fall asleep watching the tour with him commentating
  • Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
    Someone, somewhere thinks they can do the job better than the alternative option ... Sadly, they likely can ...

My suggestion would be add a 3rd man to any team, someone who was a recent rider at WT level, who has enough connections/friends to get insider info, anecdotes etc. ... Kelly and Bakstedt are just way too removed from current racing and methods to be of much use ... Sean has respect for his knowledge of how to win on his side but Magnus' stories of when he was climbing are of no use unless we are watching the Grupetto for 4 hours ... and no one cares about Brian Smith ...
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v wrote:
    Phil and Paul Bingo

every year there is a thread on Phil & Paul, I love 'em to bits. It usually highlights howlers of the day but also lists their classic one liners which is the bingo element. Pick a stage and listen out for the following (just examples) and have a drink every time you hear...

"Put the hammer down" (one of sherwen's, you'll be literally hammered in the last 5km's of a sprint stage)
    "dancing on the pedals" (usually a mountain stage)
    "turning himself inside out" (ditto)
    "digging deep into the suitcase of courage" (a personal favourite, should be finish your pint)
    "Amgen tour of California" (mentioned a ridiculous amount of times)
    "Big [ ]" (a prefix to any rider held in esteem such as Hincapie, Voigt, Julian Dean (who was also prefixed with New Zealand national Champion even when he probably wasn't)
    I could go on ad-infinitum but now I'm getting excited and 6 months ahead of myself!

I will definitely have to try this. Suitcase of courage surely has to be an absynth shot or something equally vicious :)
  • Paul 8v
    i prefer that to, tirty torty kilometers, or making the calculation you get with Kelly, have been known to often fall asleep watching the tour with him commentating
    Bless him, me too! Always wake up and it's bloody Watts or Zap and have to rewind it!
  • slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
    Someone, somewhere thinks they can do the job better than the alternative option ... Sadly, they likely can ...

My suggestion would be add a 3rd man to any team, someone who was a recent rider at WT level, who has enough connections/friends to get insider info, anecdotes etc. ... Kelly and Bakstedt are just way too removed from current racing and methods to be of much use ... Sean has respect for his knowledge of how to win on his side but Magnus' stories of when he was climbing are of no use unless we are watching the Grupetto for 4 hours ... and no one cares about Brian Smith ...
    Robbie Mcewan has been doing a spot on the Phil and Paul show at the TDU and seemed pretty good value, so you might be onto something CB.
  • Time
    For
    A
    Change

Ummmm... Do I have to be a the one to tell you ;-)
  • Yellow Peril
    I've enjoyed Millar when he's done bit . IIRC he did some commentating alongside Porter and as if by magic Porter got his act together and began to make more sense.

How about Lance to assist Phil and Paul? I'm guessing his diary is pretty empty these days.
    @JaunePeril

• Yellow Peril
    Time
    For
    A
    Change

Ummmm... Do I have to be a the one to tell you ;-)

La la la la la I can't hear you!
    @JaunePeril

• every year there is a thread on Phil & Paul, I love 'em to bits. It usually highlights howlers of the day but also lists their classic one liners which is the bingo element. Pick a stage and listen out for the following (just examples) and have a drink every time you hear...

I think this calls for one of Iain's graphs
  • buckles
    buckles Posts: 694
    Better than Ant McCrossan surely?
    25% off your first MyProtein order: sign up via https://www.myprotein.com/referrals.lis ... EE-R29Y&li or use my referral code LEE-R29Y
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    Anybody is better than Anthony McCrossan

Unfortunately he owns the production company so employs himself as commentator
  • mr_poll
    mr_poll Posts: 1,547
    Looking at twitter from last night comes this Liggettism:

On the corkscrew climb near the end of stage 3 of the TdU

"25kph, they dont even climb it that fast in the Tour De France"

Oh and also said the pro's were "racing in an incestuous competition"
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    edited January 2014
    mr_poll wrote:
    Looking at twitter from last night comes this Liggettism:

On the corkscrew climb near the end of stage 3 of the TdU

"25kph, they dont even climb it that fast in the Tour De France"

Oh and also said the pro's were "racing in an incestuous competition"

If I were in the commentary box with him, I do actually think I'd shout at him. I'd certainly locate the socket for his mic...
  • 6wheels
    6wheels Posts: 411
    Mr Sherwen has been for elocution lessons... hope he didn't pay for them. :-)
  • Yellow Peril
    6wheels wrote:
    Mr Sherwen has been for elocution lessons... hope he didn't pay for them. :-)

I'd like to hear Sherwen in full profanity flow. Apparently he swears like a trooper so we could be treated to some "real world" commentary!
    @JaunePeril

• He's 70, give the guy a break!
  • yorkshireraw
    yorkshireraw Posts: 1,628
    Retirement age is 68 now isn't it? He should utilise that...

That may sound harsh - but if he's taking payment to do a job, be competent at it. If age impacts that, then the people paying should rethink who they are using. P&P are entrenched in their positions and need challenging - although I suspect the reason they still get used by ITV is that the commentary stream is also used by US TV (hence why they can seem over-focussed on US riders and referencing the US races - ToC as mentioned already). This no doubt reduces the overhead cost that ITV pay.
    Having said that I suspect their rates are pretty lucrative and a bold producer could shop around for competent & knowledagable 'talent' who will do a better job, but cost a lot less because they aren't the 'big name' commentators.
    BBC have done this in Athletics by using Andrew Cotter (who'd come from news / other sports) who is much better than a lot of the 'old school' like Storey & Dickenson who'd basically done the same job for years using the same phrases, and were on wacking day rates.
  • I would just like Maarten Tjallingii to be in every race and to do a lot in every race so that P&P have to try and pronounce his name, oh and Edvald Boysen Hagen too. Both of them in every break in every race would be hilarious. Oh and Robert Gesink too.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,511
    I can't forgive his Armstrong interview. He said he would resign if Armstrong doped, and he should walk the walk.
  • Yellow Peril
    Come on guys, who else on the eve of P-R could emerge out of the mists of the Arenburg Forest in a long rain coat looking like one of Smiley's People except for Phil?

"and the answer is not!"
    @JaunePeril

• TheBigBean wrote:
    I can't forgive his Armstrong interview. He said he would resign if Armstrong doped, and he should walk the walk.

He fell back on the 'but I'm locked into a contract with NBC and i have to see that through' thang
  • Come on guys, who else on the eve of P-R could emerge out of the mists of the Arenburg Forest in a long rain coat looking like one of Smiley's People except for Phil?

"and the answer is not!"

Cant we exchange him at a border crossing somewhere
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,511
    TheBigBean wrote:

He fell back on the 'but I'm locked into a contract with NBC and i have to see that through' thang

I'm sure he could buy his way out.