It ain't a De Rosa, but........Finished (pics at the end!)

not-another-hillǃ
not-another-hillǃ Posts: 1,310
edited January 2014 in Your road bikes
I fancied a change to my winter bike and I also fancied building a bike from bits I acquired through this and other forums, so I started the search for a cheap carbon frame and forks and through another BR forum member, I found this full carbon frame and forks , which I got for £100....

12101314806_7863fdf512_b.jpg

Which built up, used to look something like this...

12101033274_7f30da1e6c_z.jpg

This is a 2008 Pinnacle Aeos Team carbon frame, painted in the colours of the Plowman Craven racing team. A quick google search showed they did pretty well as a race team although they disbanded after a few years, morphing into the Madison team.

Anyway, I started to amass some bits and pieces for the build and started to think about a colour change. I researched decent frame sprayers near where I live and found some differing views on a guy in South London, Vaz Finishes, but as he was local and funds were "tight", I went to see Mario Vaz.

Loving all things Italian, I designed a simple clean look, sourced some decals from eBay and took the plan to Mario. He seemed a decent guy and a week later he called to say he was done.....this is what I picked up....

12100968034_f3285795f2_b.jpg

inner fork detail...
12100867823_af45b25da0_b.jpg

Chain stays....
12101232606_30e5d7cd21_b.jpg

12100849643_8d114515f4_b.jpg

I was blown away with the finish........I think it looks stunning...paint is really good, decals look smart, and my "risky" Italian flags on the inner forks work (in my opinion)....So, a rub down, prep, paint, decal application and lacquer for £100 seems like a right deal to me (Thanks Mario, will definitely recommend you to anyone who will listen :D !)

Anyway, have a loads of work to do now to build it up, but will keep posting pics as I go so you can see the finished bike.

I'm sure there will be haters out there who say "yeah,but its not a de Rosa" or whatever :roll: , but I've got one very expensive Italian bike already, this is just my winter hack. I think it looks awesome and cant wait to finish building it up - I have all the parts now and reckon the whole thing has cost under £550..... :D

Comments

• dwanes
    dwanes Posts: 954
    Fantastic job, don't see a problem with it myself.
    With most frames coming out of a mould in the far east the paint finish and decals are just an appearance and marketing thing.
  • andytee87
    andytee87 Posts: 406
    As a De Rosa owner I say shame on you......

How much do you want for it? Looks great
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    vergogna su di voi

vergogna su di voi

:lol::lol::lol: nice though....
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    Much much better than the Pinnacarello. Love the execution.

The Giro d'Italia sticker looks rank, doesn't fit in, why not cover it up with a chainstay protector?

If you had managed the cover the whole of the inside fork legs with an italian flag sticker, that would've been ace.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • I like it.

Even better at around £550 done thats a going to be a goo looking hack bike !!

Can I ask how much a spray job is these days? for the frame and forks

keep us updated when the bits start being added :)
  • Thanks for all the comments.

the Italian Flag decal was a tricky one....the fork legs taper so much it was impossible to find something that tapered accordingly, hence why it stops a little way before the serious rake kicks in...it was a bit of a gamble as to how it would look actually.. :wink:

re the cost of spray job - as I say in post, for Mario to rub down, prep, respray, apply decals and then lacquer was £100... :D
  • FransJacques
    Forgot to mention, the pinstriping on the TT is really nice and very well picked up from several styles they had over the years.

Can you give a close up pic of it pls?
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • Yep.......not bad at all. White though?......for a UK winter hack?........get used to cleaning it if you want it to stay looking as pretty. :wink:
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Yep.......not bad at all. White though?......for a UK winter hack?........get used to cleaning it if you want it to stay looking as pretty. :wink:

White is a damn site easier to keep clean than black. It's just down to whether you want your bike to actually be clean or just look clean. I'd go for the former every time.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Vandiesel
    Vandiesel Posts: 506
    Very nice mate
    Is Mario an Ashford sprayer
    Giant TCR Composite 3
  • nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    Shall I be the first person to say I think it's a bit mental to put De Rosa branding on a frame that isn't? :)

I know you won't care though, and you shouldn't, so don't listen to my opinion.
  • VanDiesel.....no, Mario is based in Hither a Green, South London, near Catford....does mainly steel frames with lug lining etc....the forums say his work is hit and miss, but everything I've seen hanging up in his workshop looks very tidy indeed.
    Plus, his brother, who is a frame builder, has just started building, repairing and restoring frames in the downstairs workshop.

Thoroughly nice bloke, very knowledgable, good at his job and cheap too :D
  • UPDATE - rolling chassis complete with Shimano RS80 C24 wheels fitted (tyres will be swapped to black when its finished), headset, Deda bars, Deda stem and Ultegra 6700 shifters fitted....

12133681616_2320d35e28_c.jpg
    12133510464_3ac0800c22_c.jpg

Ritchey Carbon Superlogic seatpost and Fizik Antares saddle fitted

12133496334_f5092cc14e_c.jpg

Ultegra 6600 glossy grey brakes fitted

12133074185_033de33af1_c.jpg

Just crankset, mechs, cabling and bartape to do.....think its coming along nicely :D

Should be all done by next weekend - will post pictures of finished bike then.....
  • nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    Despite saying I didnt like it, that's coming together pretty darn nicely. Only thing I'm not sure is the Giro D'italia lettering. The rest is sweet!
  • FransJacques
    Wow thats nice. Please donate those tyres to the local youth club and get some Ultremos. Maybe even with a white stripe.

If I saw you on the road I would totally say: 'Nice bike'. The GdI sticker works better on the NDS so leave it.

Are your bars over-rotated?

I think the bars are ok, its probably the angle of the picture....

re the Giro decals, I like them - I think they add a little bit of colour to what will be essentially a black and white bike...plus they pick up the Italian tricolore theme from the inner fork legs....re tyres, yes, I like Ultremo's but they can be a bit slippy in the winter so maybe get some Durano's instead (similar weight and Schwalbe reliability)...

We'll see once its all together, but i think it'll look pretty slick... :D
  • Looks Amazing!!!!
  • OK, so finally finished the new winter hack build!!!....heres some pictures... :D

12221122965_0758650399_c.jpg

Although I'd rather have had Campagnolo, I had to settle for full Ultegra 6700 :)
    12221148655_19cb2bc7d0_c.jpg
    12221354593_54513f6493_c.jpg

Deda finishing kit...
    12221786016_f4cae9aeda_c.jpg

the man's signature on the top tube...
    12221565674_87a1fe9b98_c.jpg

personally, I'm really pleased with it......its gleaming at the moment, but when I hit that first muddy puddle... :(
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Very bling for a 'hack'. :)
  • fleshtuxedo
    fleshtuxedo Posts: 1,853
    Really nice. Can't see how you did this for £550 though - do tell!
  • It was done like this, over a couple of months.....

All parts from BR or eBay...
    Pinnacle Aeos Frame and forks - £100 (BR)
    Respray - £100 (Vaz)
    Ultegra 6700 Crankset - £80 (BR)
    Ultegra 6700 Shifters - £90 (BR)
    Ultegra 6700 Front mech and rear mech - £50 (BR)
    Ultegra 6600 F&R brake calipers - £40 (BR)
    Look Keo Pedals - £20 (BR)
    Ritchey Seatpost - £14 (Aliexpress)
    Fizik Saddle - £40 (Ebay)
    Shimano RS80 Wheels/tubes/tyres - already had on my old winter bike
    Deda Bartape - £5 (ebay)
    Deda Bars - £5 (eBay)
    Deda Stem £10 (BR)
    Jagwire Cables - £10 (eBay)
    ITM Seatclamp, Lezyne bottle cage - £7 (BR)

Total spent - £571 :D ....ok, so I went a little over budget, but I also sold my Felt Z85 winter bike (minus wheels) for £240, so in essence, to replace my winter bike with this has cost me £331, which I think is pretty good. Plus I had the fun and satisfaction of sourcing all the parts and then building it.... :D
  • Forgot another cost - the De Rosa sticker set from eBay - £6.47 :lol:
  • Vandiesel
    Vandiesel Posts: 506
    Nice work buddy
    Giant TCR Composite 3