Tridem

monkimark
monkimark Posts: 1,456
edited February 2014 in Commuting chat
I was just searching google streetview to check the location of a motorbike bay when I spotted this
https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?ll=51.47 ... 27,,0,6.51

I've seen a couple of tandems out and about in London but never a tridem - bet it's a bugger to steer through traffic!

Comments

• gingaman
    gingaman Posts: 576
    Wouldn't want to be in the middle!

...or at the back
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    Always used to call those triplets. There's one in my parents garage. Always used to joke with my mates about taking it out and timing ourselves along the straight mile.
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Tridem? That's a trandem as any Goodies Fan knows!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxQhmm2rrRo
    Faster than a tent.......
  • alan_sherman
    alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
    Somehow I knew it'd be near Battersea Park. I'm sure its the same bike I've been seeing around for years with a lady pilot. I'd have thought the kids would have grown out of it by now - but maybe it has been sold on to someone else in the area.

RE: motorbike parking. Wandsworth are great, you can park pretty much anywhere! Residents bays included, on the pavement if out of the way. They are basically the polar opposite of Camden.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,484
    Found this from Etymonline.com
    tandem (n.)
    1785, "carriage pulled by horses harnessed one behind the other" (instead of side-by-side), jocular use of Latin tandem "at length (of time), at last, so much," from tam "so" (from PIE *tam-, adverbial form of demonstrative pronoun root *-to-; see -th (1)) + demonstrative suffix -dem. "Probably first in university use" [Century Dictionary]. Transferred by 1884 to bicycles with two seats. In English as an adverb from 1795; as an adjective from 1801.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Triplet. Thorn (St John St Cycles) and Longstaffe make / made them. Steering is rather heavy, especially if you've adult in the middle!
    Commute: Langster -Singlecross - Brompton S2-LX

Road: 95 Trek 5500 -Look 695 Aerolight eTap - Boardman TTe eTap

Offroad: Pace RC200 - Dawes Kickback 2 tandem - Tricross - Boardman CXR9.8 - Ridley x-fire
  • dandrew
    dandrew Posts: 175
    Saw one in Pimlico this morning! 2 adults a kid! They'll have to lengthen the ASL boxes to accommodate these bikes!
  • MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    One is parked outside my office in Mayfair more or less full time. Definitely used though not sure how often.
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.