Preventing Corrosion of Bearings

PaulHumph
PaulHumph Posts: 8
edited January 2014 in MTB general
Is corrosion of bearings in your bike suspension or headset a big issue for people? How are you dealing with it? Which other bearing areas are prone to corrosion?

Comments

• mudsucker
    mudsucker Posts: 730
    Never had an issue with it.

probably going to get shot at for saying this but aren't all bearings on bikes stainless steel? :-)
    Bikes are OK, I guess... :-)

2008 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp.
    2013 Trek 1.2
    1982 Holdsworth Elan.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Learn about servicing your bike.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nicklouse
    mudsucker wrote:

probably going to get shot at for saying this but aren't all bearings on bikes stainless steel? :-)
    Nope.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    nicklouse wrote:
    Learn about servicing your bike.
    thats kind of the point of this post...
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Don't jetwash it. Replace them when they're fubared.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Just using higher quality parts helps too- the only headsets I've had premature rust issues with have been poor quality, poorly sealed ones. By and large, most cartridge bearings in bikes are intended to be maintenance-free (though you can pop off a seal and mash in more grease... But that gets into more complicated territory as if you don't do it right, you'll end up causing more problems)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • mmacavity
    mmacavity Posts: 781
    Scottoiler Ultimate Bike Solution
  • cooldad
    edited January 2014
    I see now.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • dusk
    dusk Posts: 583
    nicklouse wrote:
    mudsucker wrote:

Nope.
    I believe stainless steel isn't as hard as non stainless so although stainless bearings wouldn't rust they would wear faster. So you're better off with a well greased non stainless steel bearing for longevity
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    A lot of cheap bearings are chrome plated steel as the chrome plating initially makes them smoother. But as the chrome rusts and chips they disintegrate pretty quickly as the broken/chipped chrome residue chews up the remaining bearing.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    A sealed bearing won't rust inside (where it matters) unless water gets in, which will thin the grease out and kill them anyway, some surface rust on the outside is irrelevant.

Get decent sealed bearings and rust is a non issue, of course once a bearing starts to fail, the seal integrity is lost due to the movement so water can get in and rust it, in that case rust had nothing to do with the failure.

I think the OP's question misses the point.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • nicklouse wrote:
    mudsucker wrote:

Nope.
    Mudsucker, Nicklouse is correct. Bearings on bikes are not all stainless steel. They can also be plastic, aluminum or composite.
  • cooldad wrote:
    Don't jetwash it. Replace them when they're fubared.
    Cooldad, have you had negative results when you jet washed them? And how can you tell the bearings are in need of being replaced?
  • cooldad
    Jetwashing forces water into the bearings, with obvious, negative results. I've never done it, no.
    If there are horrible grinding noises, or the bearings don't spin, they are probably dead.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Pivot bearings aren't the ideal environment for a cartridge bearing either, as they often only rotate through 10 degrees or so.
  • nicklouse
    PaulHumph wrote:
    Is corrosion of bearings in your bike suspension or headset a big issue for people? How are you dealing with it? Which other bearing areas are prone to corrosion?
    read the manuals that should have come with the bike.

if you did not get any download from the makers webby or ask the shop.

many bike use dry (or self lubing) bearings (bushes) which should never be lubed.

but all this info is normally in the manual.

likewise for hubs and headsets.

reading the info in the links in my sig is a good start.
  • chrisrobs
    chrisrobs Posts: 135
    I paid £38 this week to have my rear hub bearings replaced (4 sets) by my lbs.

Seems to be quite a lot just to replace the cartridge bearings???
  • cooldad
    Or you could have bought them and done it yourself. Otherwise seems reasonable.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Northwind
    Is that £38 including the bearings? Always hard to compare, with this, you can buy cheap bearings for a couple of quid or you can buy top end ones for several times that. Call it an hour's labour for a typical one, plus a wee bit of consumables.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • chrisrobs
    chrisrobs Posts: 135
    Yes that included 4 sets of bearing for the wheel.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Seems very reasonable to me then.
  • Northwind
    Yep, unless they're absolute cheap rubbish, that's a good deal. And a decent shop isn't going to fit rubbish because it'll come back to them in no time (the £2 a pop bearings a mate got me to fit into his Pro 2s lasted about a month, except for the one that didn't survive fitting!)
    Uncompromising extremist