Random Route Generator

JimboM
JimboM Posts: 380
edited January 2014 in Road general
After a few months off it's about time I got back on my bike but don't want to keep riding the same old routes. Is there any software out there that will allow you to put in a start point and distance and will generate a random circular route that I can then download to my Garmin ie similar to the Mio 'surprise me' function?
Cannondale Synapse 105
Giant FCR3
GT Avalanche 3.0
Canyon Nerve AM 6.0

Comments

• chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    bit of an expensive option but i think the mio 300 does something like this if my memory serves me right.
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    If there is, then you can probably guarantee that most of the randomly generated routes would be terrible. Why not just plot some new routes of your own - you know where you live. You'll be far better able to work out a nice route than any random device that will probably either send you downa dual carriageway or a muddy stoney bridlepath.

Just look at the maps in the gpx software and see where the Google streetview van has been. As long as Streetview has been there, you can go there on a roadbike so if it looks like a nice road, bang it in the route. It's really easy!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Random routes would be rubbish. Far better to spend 10 mins with a map choosing quieter roads and decent destinations.
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,604
    Or go on something like ridewithgps where you can download somebody else's routes. I'm pretty sure you can specify a start location and distance and it gives you a load of options.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Get wife / OH / ride partner to plot you a route. It'll be a surprise but probably won't be crap going through three industrial estates. Unless your wife does it.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I usually look at the weather forecast and plot a route heading directly into the wind. That sometimes takes me to places I hadn't thought about going, and I get a tailwind all the way home. I either use the OS map for a quick idea for a short spin, or if I'm planning a day out into unfamiliar territory I'll use mapometer.com on the laptop*. It usefully follows roads and once you've got so far you can click to complete a circular route. It also shows an elevation profile.

*this is for ride planning only. I don't have a bar mount for the laptop; I'm not particularly aero as it is :D
  • Tjgoodhew
    Tjgoodhew Posts: 628
    monkimark wrote:
    Or go on something like ridewithgps where you can download somebody else's routes. I'm pretty sure you can specify a start location and distance and it gives you a load of options.

This is exactly the sort of thing i was looking for.

The rest of my day is now going to be spent looking at new routes instead of working !!
    Cannondale Caad8
    Canyon Aeroad 8.0

http://www.strava.com/athletes/goodhewt
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    keef66 wrote:
    I usually look at the weather forecast and plot a route heading directly into the wind. That sometimes takes me to places I hadn't thought about going, and I get a tailwind all the way home.

Rookie error! This idea is great in practice but doesn't actually work.
    1) You guarantee a headwind on the way out.
    2) Just as you get to the turning point, the wind changes. You now have a headwind home as well!

If you take the tailwind out, you benefit from the tailwind but maybe have a bigger job to get home with the headwind - but that's fine. Everything comes with a price and you did get a nice tailwind out. On the other hand, maybe the wind changes - and you get a tailwind home as well. Result!

Better the tailwind in the hand than the.... errrr..... this doesn't work past this point but you get what I mean! :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    I just assume the wind will be blowing in my face all the way so never factor the wind directon in!
  • The sodding route mapping sites always send me down a bridle path if I'm going somewhere new.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    edited January 2014
    Rolf F wrote:
    keef66 wrote:
    I usually look at the weather forecast and plot a route heading directly into the wind. That sometimes takes me to places I hadn't thought about going, and I get a tailwind all the way home.

Rookie error! This idea is great in practice but doesn't actually work.
    1) You guarantee a headwind on the way out.
    2) Just as you get to the turning point, the wind changes. You now have a headwind home as well!

If you take the tailwind out, you benefit from the tailwind but maybe have a bigger job to get home with the headwind - but that's fine. Everything comes with a price and you did get a nice tailwind out. On the other hand, maybe the wind changes - and you get a tailwind home as well. Result!

Better the tailwind in the hand than the.... errrr..... this doesn't work past this point but you get what I mean! :lol:

Well I managed it last night; splendid breeze behind me all the way home :D And still not as fast as the pro riders!
  • Vslowpace
    Vslowpace Posts: 189
    The sodding route mapping sites always send me down a bridle path if I'm going somewhere new.

Use a site such as ridewithgps as they have the google streetview option so you can check your route to avoid this.
  • BrandonA
    BrandonA Posts: 553
    The idea of a random ride generator seems lazy to me and prone to error - as others have said you might go through council estates or crap cycling routes.

I use Strava to find routes. Often you will find >20 mile segents which need to be cycled to. You can therefore get 40-50 ride out of these.

Also if you look at random segments you can see where people rode to get to/from them. I then ride the popular roads that others choose. I've found loads of good country rides to the N.E. of Brum which I had no idea of doing this.

A bit of planning will enable you to find some good routes. I've got tonnes lined up for the summer months already. My problem will be fitting them all in.
  • If you have a GPS thing which tells you where you are. Then just switch it off and head out, taking random turnings that look interesting. Then switch it back on to navigate you back home.