Am I too old now to go Pro?

2»

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I ride twice a week, more if I have the time,

You'll find few pro riders riding less than 6 days a week, often multiple sessions, with gym training in there too. Try a race, but seriously, I'd be inclined to dial your expectations down a little.
  • njee20 wrote:
    I ride twice a week, more if I have the time,

You'll find few pro riders riding less than 6 days a week, often multiple sessions, with gym training in there too. Try a race, but seriously, I'd be inclined to dial your expectations down a little.

True... OK we all start somewhere but when you get beyond a certain point you do end up riding and training to hone your fitness and skills...

I was not a Professional racer but I was sponsored (Motorcycle racing) and trying to do a full time job too.. I used mountain biking as part of my training the same with Moto Cross, gym and doing as many practice days as possible. I dont think I had a day off from training of some form even when I was injured I would try and do some form ot training.. When I did my days on the MX bike it would be all day usually two full days a week... EVERYTHING I did was geared towards going racing. Looking back I spent 4 years in some form of pain. Riding at any level if you are serious is part of your life and I did all I could. I was good enough to ride at National level but not win. I could arrive at almost any club meeting at any track and come away with a trophy. The step up to the next level was huge..... I have ridden with and against some world class riders... They are as Colin Edwards has christened them... "Aliens".. They ride like something out of this world...
  • njee20
    If you only used one full stop as you should, rather than constantly using ellipsis your post would be half the length...

Sentiment's there though. 20+ hour weeks of training for some years beckon before you reach the top of your game.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I do know people who have gone out and won their first race and got great sponsorship deals within a fee months of starting racing. Their lack of experience did show up with some spectacular crashes.
  • adamfo
    adamfo Posts: 763
    welshkev wrote:
    I'm sure this guy must be a troll.....

For some reason this job appraisal interview comes to mind....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkYUDQCYGHA
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    cooldad wrote:
    Point is, it's very welcoming and very inclusive. We even have some girls. Obviously more are needed.

Good Lord :shock:

Even girls are riding mountain bikes now??!

Whatever next....
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    miss notax wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    Point is, it's very welcoming and very inclusive. We even have some girls. Obviously more are needed.

Good Lord :shock:

Even girls are riding mountain bikes now??!

Whatever next....

Riding? You must have misunderstood. We kindly allow them to cook bacon and wash bikes.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    Phew, that's better.

I was getting worried for a moment there.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • rockmonkeysc
    Identiti bikes are offering rider support for grass roots racing. £700 for a Mogul frame plus jerseys and a TSG carbon helmet. Shame the frame is so bad really.
  • kammybear
    kammybear Posts: 500
    I got into MTB about 2 years ago. The "community" is very welcoming. You could be in the middle of no where and spark up a convo with a total stranger in the woods. The only other hobby you can say that about is dogging.

You've had some pretty good answers here...have you seen some of the downhill race videos? No way anyone can be that good in a year! Unless they are suicidal and have the luck of the irish on their side!
  • *AJ*
    *AJ* Posts: 1,080
    Becoming a pro is something you must really really want. You must also enjoy pushing yourself to the limit constantly.

To get good results you need to be mega fit! More fit than you can manage riding a couple of times a week. It takes huge dedication.

If you enjoy going out and having a laugh with your mates, just stick to that. You usually get a bit of competitiveness amongst groups of riders anyway.

To become pro, you run the risk of ruining the hobby for yourself. If you don't enjoy pushing your physical fitness to an extreme on a daily basis then it will just become a chore and you'll end up not wanting to ride a bike.

Just stick to dicking about on a bike.

Enter a local race for fun by all means, Cannock chase do something on a monthly basis for downhillers, it's run by locals and is enjoyed by many, you get the competitiveness without the serious side and everyone seems to enjoy it.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Racing isn't the only way to become a pro cyclist. There's also guiding. You need to be fast enough to not hold up any clients and there are a few qualifications you will need to work as a guide in the mountains in Europe.
    If you could do skiing and climbing as well you could make a reasonable living.
  • Racing isn't the only way to become a pro cyclist. There's also guiding. You need to be fast enough to not hold up any clients and there are a few qualifications you will need to work as a guide in the mountains in Europe.
    If you could do skiing and climbing as well you could make a reasonable living.

Whilst the term "professional" can technically be applied to guiding due to earning money from it, I think it's clear in terms of this thread that's not what the OP is referring too. Of course we could also suggest he become a postman (on a bike not in a van), or pedal a cycle-taxi round town. :wink:
  • compo
    compo Posts: 1,370
    cooldad wrote:
    . And don't get me started on Strava...

I got a strava kom recently. Can I go pro?

If I prove I am faster by doing it in my car, will I get a pro contract?
  • morepower
    morepower Posts: 140
    Just figured out what the OP was asking...

Of course your not to old to Gopro...

Get a HD one though..
    http://youtu.be/x76VEPXYaI0
  • I f*cked up an got a Sony action cam lol
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    kammybear wrote:
    You could be in the middle of no where and spark up a convo with a total stranger in the woods. The only other hobby you can say that about is dogging.

What? You talk to them? You old romantic, you.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • Some times older people come along in sports later in life but it's rare. Usually they have been competitive in another sport and have moved over so already have the base commitment/athleticism. If you've never had this drive earlier in life then it's unlikely you'll have what it takes... it is possible but I don't recall any instances where it's not a comeback or a sport move (See Sally Bigham)

Put it this way if you do make it you'll have a movie made about you... gritty drama or comedy.. ?
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    If you're good enough, you're young enough. Sadly I'm neither... :(

A girl started riding XC on a hardtail with our group about a year and a half ago, she is mid-20's (guessing). She had a dabble with some DH and loved it. She bought a FS all mountain bike and entered some races, she did pretty well. She bought a DH rig and started doing very well. Now she is sponsored. She's not pro yet, but I've got a feeling that she stands a chance. Her attitude is very good, she's always working on improving and will listen to anybody who will give her and advice and is always working on her fitness etc.
    kammybear wrote:
    You could be in the middle of no where and spark up a convo with a total stranger in the woods. The only other hobby you can say that about is dogging.

What? You talk to them? You old romantic, you.

Made me :D
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • njee20
    A girl started riding XC on a hardtail with our group about a year and a half ago, she is mid-20's (guessing). She had a dabble with some DH and loved it. She bought a FS all mountain bike and entered some races, she did pretty well. She bought a DH rig and started doing very well. Now she is sponsored. She's not pro yet, but I've got a feeling that she stands a chance. Her attitude is very good, she's always working on improving and will listen to anybody who will give her and advice and is always working on her fitness etc.

I'd hate to appear sexist and detract from her achievements, but the pool of talent for girls is far smaller, so it's easier to a) stand out and b) do well. I can think of several people who have very rapidly ascended the ranks, it's marginally harder to do as a bloke, quite honestly.
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    njee20 wrote:

I'd hate to appear sexist and detract from her achievements, but the pool of talent for girls is far smaller, so it's easier to a) stand out and b) do well. I can think of several people who have very rapidly ascended the ranks, it's marginally harder to do as a bloke, quite honestly.

I realise that.
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets