Richie Porte's Pinarello Dogma

proto
proto Posts: 1,483
edited February 2014 in Pro race
Looking at the Pro bike: Richie Porte’s Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Think2 on the home page of this site and bit bemused by it. http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/article/pro-bike-richie-portes-pinarello-dogma-65-1-think2-39614/

He's supposedly 5' 8" tall, yet rides a 46.5cm frame, and even allowing for Pinarello's odd sizing, this is tiny. It also says his BB to saddle top dimension is 677mm.

I'm 5' 8" tall too, and by contrast, my Dogma is a 51.5cm and my BB to saddle to dimension is 727. I'm a fairly regular shape, not especially long legs, so what gives?.

Anyone know how tall he really is?

Comments

• yeah, its the right height

(and its also the height given on the team website)
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Frames are made for us normal people. Pro's have to ride super small frames with long seat posts and log stems to get the agressive position they require...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver wrote:
    Frames are made for us normal people. Pro's have to ride super small frames with long seat posts and log stems to get the agressive position they require...

And as mentioned elsewhere, Cav (who's an inch taller than Porte, IIRC) has just dropped down from a 52 to a 49
  • As someone who rides that sized frame, I can tell you he's going to struggle to get his bidon on the seat tube out. The penchant for cabling inside the frame has improved things somewhat in this regard - I no longer catch the mouth bit/nipple (does it have a name?) of my bidon on my brake cable anymore (hell that was annoying), but it's still a struggle, it is not a smooth manoeuvre, not to be done on bad surfaces or in aggressive crosswinds while riding with others.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • proto
    Seat post is well down in the seat tube, lower than I'd expect to see on some cafe warrior's bike, and the stem is listed as 120mm, and by the looks of it is a fairly typical 6° jobbie, not a -17° you seem on some pro's bike. It just doesn't add up, there's no way he can be 5' 8" tall. All a bit odd.
  • proto
    The figure of 677, BB to saddle height, do they measure to the saddle rails or saddle top?
  • ddraver
    I'm sure the Pinerello/Team Sky bikefitters would benefit from your knowledge, e-mail them...
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver wrote:
    I'm sure the Pinerello/Team Sky bikefitters would benefit from your knowledge, e-mail them...

https://www.retul.com/
  • Hmm...I'm sure his height has 'changed' because I've deffo seen him listed at 171cm before.
  • rayjay
    rayjay Posts: 1,384
    Does not look aggressive at all. Not a massive drop. Seat is not high, so he must have quite short legs or not as tall as is suggested.
  • He looked comfortable enough on the TDU this morning?
  • Bo Duke
    Bo Duke Posts: 1,058
    Blimey. Wouldn't fancy 5 hours on that diddily thing!
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    It looks like a kids bike when the parent has bought the wrong size and then tried to make it fit! I'm sure it makes more sense when he's actually on it.
  • Paul 8v
    Compare it to the proportions of Froome's bike:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/p ... nk2-37547/

Edit: I think it might just be because it looks cack in that particular size.
  • Holy Mary, what a...

Porte and Cav's Pinas together at the Tour in 2012: both bikes looked diddy, downright hilariously so when they were anywhere near Brad, Rogers, Froome, Knees etc. But same goes for the fellas.
  • Paul 8v wrote:
    It looks like a kids bike...

Oi, Some of us are just small. :(

*OFF TOPIC NOT RACING RELATED BIKE ACCESSORY WINGE* As an aside to small bicycles, I wish someone made a bike bag specifically for small bicycles. There is more spare space than bike in mine. I measured that if the bag was actually made to fit the bike that I would be able to check my bicycle in as regular luggage as it would fit the standard luggage dimensions.*OFF TOPIC NOT RACING RELATED BIKE ACCESSORY WINGE*
    Correlation is not causation.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Maybe its a weight saver? Does anyone know the difference?
  • Paul 8v

Oi, Some of us are just small. :(
    Sorry, I'm not exactly Peter Crouch when it comes to height, just meant it looks a bit squished and weird, nowt wrong with being shorter :wink:
  • fat_cat
    fat_cat Posts: 566
    Looking at the footage of him walking next to Stannard on last nights TDU coverage there is no way he's 5 8. Unless Stannard is 7 ft.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    proto wrote:
    The figure of 677, BB to saddle height, do they measure to the saddle rails or saddle top?

Quintana is supposed to be 5'3'' (166cm) and rides with a saddle height of 695.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,243
    Hmm...I'm sure his height has 'changed' because I've deffo seen him listed at 171cm before.

Same height as me and I ride a (on the small side) 51 and I'm about as flexible as a pane of glass.
  • That effective top tube length on Porte's Dogma of 515mm puts it nearer to a 52 frame size if from some other frame manufacturers, Specialized for eg.
    Jens says "Shut up legs !! "

Specialized S-Works SaxoBank SL4 Tarmac Di2
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,243
    That effective top tube length on Porte's Dogma of 515mm puts it nearer to a 52 frame size if from some other frame manufacturers, Specialized for eg.

There you go. Basically same size frame for the same height.
  • Paul 8v
    http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/arti ... oil-39613/

Caleb Ewans bike, another small frame for some dimension comparisons
  • Bo Duke
    Bo Duke Posts: 1,058
    Paul 8v wrote:

Froome needs a bigger frame to cope with the power of the after burners! :D

Joking aside, I'm pretty sure the lads ride bikes tailored for each race if not each stage. I mean would Ritchie use that small bike for a mountain stage as well as 5 hours on the flat? I'm no expert, but I doubt it.
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    Bo Duke wrote:
    Paul 8v wrote:

Froome needs a bigger frame to cope with the power of the after burners! :D

Joking aside, I'm pretty sure the lads ride bikes tailored for each race if not each stage. I mean would Ritchie use that small bike for a mountain stage as well as 5 hours on the flat? I'm no expert, but I doubt it.

I'd be very surprised if he changed his position even a mm from race to race. How are you 'pretty sure'?
  • proto
    Talking to fellow last night who met Ritchie Porte last year. Says he's tiny, about 5' 6" he reckons, which probably explains a lot.
  • ddraver
    proto wrote:
    Talking to fellow last night who met Ritchie Porte last year. Says he's tiny, about 5' 6" he reckons, which probably explains a lot.

Are you suggesting that Team Sky don't know how to use a Tape Measure now?
    - @ddraver
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    edited January 2014
    ---
  • ddraver wrote:
    proto wrote:

Are you suggesting that Team Sky don't know how to use a Tape Measure now?

Add Porte's official website to that

This is probably the funniest thread around these parts for some time
    :)