Cav & Renshaw

TMR
TMR Posts: 3,986
edited January 2014 in Pro race
Does anyone know when they start racing together this year? Are they riding all races together or do they have slightly different programmes?

TIA.

Comments

• andytee87
    andytee87 Posts: 406
    Renshaw is at Tour Down Under, Cav is at San Luis. Nothing on the team website for first race together, but I guess maybe Qatar
  • But when they do meet up, Cav might want to have a word with Renshaw about THIS....

http://velonews.competitor.com/2014/01/ ... ish_313927
  • I think Cav will have to change his focus in 3 or 4 years once Caleb is a bit older with a few years experience Cav will be pushing 30 and i can see him maybe trying more for classics than GT bunch stage wins. He has already said he wants to do the track at Rio so maybe after that he will change his focus a bit?
  • MartinGT
    MartinGT Posts: 475
    I think Cav will have to change his focus in 3 or 4 years once Caleb is a bit older with a few years experience Cav will be pushing 30 and i can see him maybe trying more for classics than GT bunch stage wins. He has already said he wants to do the track at Rio so maybe after that he will change his focus a bit?

Patrick Lefevere has already said they pay him for the road. I cant see him going to Rio and riding.
  • I think Cav will have to change his focus in 3 or 4 years once Caleb is a bit older with a few years experience Cav will be pushing 30 and i can see him maybe trying more for classics than GT bunch stage wins. He has already said he wants to do the track at Rio so maybe after that he will change his focus a bit?

He's not going any where near the track at Rio as things stand. He'd have to spend considerable amount of time back on the track next year to train with GB and ride World Cups etc - thats if he made the grade to even do that. Lefevere doesnt want him 'risking injury' on the track aka riding Pinarellos and being kitted out in the Sky-sponsored GB kit.

And as he - and Bakala - write Cav's paycheck...
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,530
    MartinGT wrote:
    I think Cav will have to change his focus in 3 or 4 years once Caleb is a bit older with a few years experience Cav will be pushing 30 and i can see him maybe trying more for classics than GT bunch stage wins. He has already said he wants to do the track at Rio so maybe after that he will change his focus a bit?

Patrick Lefevere has already said they pay him for the road. I cant see him going to Rio and riding.

I'm sure a few teams could tempt him away from OPQS before 2016.
  • You reckon, Rick? Think the OPQS love-in might not last another 12 months?
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    You reckon, Rick? Think the OPQS love-in might not last another 12 months?

I guess results will determine that. Cav is very popular but if the next best thing turns up you can soon become chip paper
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,530
    You reckon, Rick? Think the OPQS love-in might not last another 12 months?

If Cav really wants the track then yeah. OPQS didn't have the best yeah supporting Cav last year. They know they need to step it up this year, hence the hires.
  • mr_poll
    mr_poll Posts: 1,547
    Haven't BC said that any cyclist who wants to go to Rio has to exclusively give themselves over to the track for 2 years up to the Olympics (hence the Wiggo retiring to give 2016 a shot story). Can't really see Cav jacking it in this year unless things go really wrong for him, despite the fact he really wants a shiny medal.
  • mr_poll wrote:
    Haven't BC said that any cyclist who wants to go to Rio has to exclusively give themselves over to the track for 2 years up to the Olympics (hence the Wiggo retiring to give 2016 a shot story). Can't really see Cav jacking it in this year unless things go really wrong for him, despite the fact he really wants a shiny medal.

People like Chris Newton have said they'd need to be back to the track for 2015, to train with the other guys just to try to make the IP team.

A lot of folk reckon Cav's best shot would be the Omnium - a better shot than trying to make the IP team. Still need to spend loads of time on the track and prove himself - otherwise it'd completely unfair on Clancy and Dibben.

Thing about Cav is that telling him that something's out of his reach usually has the opposite effect...
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Cav and Rio could just be a media thing. It suits Cav and the British Olympic Broadcasting Corp to keep the ambiguity running for a while. Who needs to explain why a British superstar is 'announcing his retirement from Olympic competition' while he's still racking up ratings and clicks at Grand Departs etc etc.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • Nah, I think it really does still eat at him that he doesnt have an Olympic medal - just because the way Olympians are viewed by general public here.

He did the track meet in Gent last Autumn to keep his hand in for eligibility to compete in world cups this year, and before Lefevere put the kibosh on things
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Nah, I think it really does still eat at him that he doesnt have an Olympic medal - just because the way Olympians are viewed by general public here.

He did the track meet in Gent last Autumn to keep his hand in for eligibility to compete in world cups this year, and before Lefevere put the kibosh on things

Not having that :D There's no way Cav seriously thinks he can prepare part-time and beat a full track squad member to a slot.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • There's not a whole lot that a sprinter can win that Cav hasn't won, and as has been said in the UK Olympics are massive and I imagine if he won a gold that would get him Knighted not sure if that is something he was or not though
  • There's not a whole lot that a sprinter can win that Cav hasn't won, and as has been said in the UK Olympics are massive and I imagine if he won a gold that would get him Knighted not sure if that is something he was or not though

^Sir Brad and Sir Cav could actually be the sweariest knights of the realm...ever....