Sigg bottles...

pippi_langsamer-2
pippi_langsamer-2 Posts: 1,470
edited January 2014 in Road general
Anyone know if they fit a standard cage?

I'm a bugger for drinking enough liquids on a ride, and it's not helped by chugging freezing cold liquid. I tend to fill my normal bottle with near boiling water which is fine for the first mmmmmm 30-40 mins, then it's cold as hell.

Friend has just bout a Sigg thermal bottle albeit not cycling specific. Wondered whether they fit a cage and if they're worth trying. I know there are some alleged thermal cycling bidons out there, but not sure if they're up to the task.

I demand to have warm tea!

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,402
    If it's not a special cage then you can probably bend it to fit the bottle. The old school ones don't fit that well though.

I ve got one of the Camelbak insulted bottles and I'd agree with your mate, it does chuff all to be honest. Think you ll need a proper vacuum type thingum
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    Life venture thermal cups fit a bottle cage well. Maybe not as easy to drink on the move but if you want a hot brew to stay warm over an hour they are the saviour of many a squaddie.
  • Cheers, I will check those out.

I'm not too fussed about keeping the liquid hot, but rather just avoiding it getting to the point of uncomfortably cold.
  • animal72
    animal72 Posts: 251
    Camelback make lined bike-specific bottles, just as good as keeping stuff warm(er) than cold.
    Condor Super Acciaio, Record, Deda, Pacentis.
    Curtis 853 Handbuilt MTB, XTR, DT Swiss and lots of Hope.
    Genesis Datum Gravel Bike, Pacentis (again).
    Genesis Equilibrium Disc, 105 & H-Plus-Son.

Mostly Steel.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Dont fancy trying to drink from an alu sigg bottle - you need to be able to squeeze them to get water out properly.

The Camelbak insulated podium bottle does keep liquids cooler in summer slightly better than normal bottles - its not magic - but its only a little bit of foam anyway.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    A Sigg bottle, or any aluminium bottle will get scuffed-up in a bottle cage in no time
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • merkin
    merkin Posts: 452
    Indeed, I used to have an aluminium bottle and it was noisy as hell. Only used it as it had a cap to keep the muck off my teat.
    I have a life venture thermal cup for work sometimes but doubt it would keep tea or coffee very hot for long whilst exposed on a bike. It is nowhere near as good as a regular vacuum flask. Good for up to 2 hours in a bag or car though.