Gear shifters

placebokid
placebokid Posts: 3
edited January 2014 in MTB beginners
Hi! I'm pretty new to biking and an have a question I'm finding rather hard to word. the mountain bike i have has rapid-fire style shifters, and i find these generally more comfortable than grip shifts, but the shifting is opposite on each side: for example to shift up on the left you use the top lever and on the right, the bottom lever. I find this tends to confuse me a lot and leads to mis-shifting. My question is are all rapid-fires like this and if not, how do I tell without inspecting each one in a shop? I don't want to have to move to grip shift but I am prepared to if necessary. thanks in advance for the help.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    yes they are all like that.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    If you think about it, gripshift are the same. Twist backwards to get a lower gear on the right/rear, backwards to get a higher gear on the left/front.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Just remember big lever-big cog, small lever-small cog. Simples.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • Hey guys, thanks for the help. I guess I'll be switching to grip shift.
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    If it matters that much to you, there is another way. Some older shimano rear mechs are available in a format called "low normal" or "rapid rise". This means that when there is no cable tension they move towards the biggest sprocket, not the smallest like standard rear derailleurs. This effectively reverses the action of the shifters, and will make both operate in the same sense for you (thumb lever makes gearing harder, other one makes it easier). You'll find plenty of this sort of derailleur on ebay if you do some trawling.

This will only be a short-term fix, however, as I don't think shimano make rapid-rise anymore, so eventually you won't be able to replace broken or worn out derailleurs that work in this way, and you are ultimately going to have to re-train yourself to use standard shifting equipment.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    placebokid wrote:
    Hey guys, thanks for the help. I guess I'll be switching to grip shift.

But you'll have the same 'problem', as cooldad has pointed out. What you are proposing is spending money to swap one problem for another.

Just ride your bike. You'll soon get used to which lever does what.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009