Personal finance software ?

josehernandez
josehernandez Posts: 243
edited January 2014 in The bottom bracket
Does anyone know of any software that you can use to keep track of your household finances at a glance ?
Been searching for ages to no avail.

Comments

• Do you really need software to do this? Can't you get a wife?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Do you really need software to do this? Can't you get a wife?

Its because of the wife he needs the software....
    All the gear, but no idea...
  • Zendog1
    Zendog1 Posts: 816
    Write your own on a spreadsheet. Unless you have very complicated finances any bought product will be overkill.
  • florerider
    florerider Posts: 1,112
    Do you really need software to do this? Can't you get a wife?

Not going to get a wife with software chaps :wink:
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,172
    You would let your wife be in charge of the family finances? :shock: That's like locking an alcoholic in an off license.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Just PM me all of your bank details and I'll take a look through it all for you :wink:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    florerider wrote:

Aren't they the best kind?
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • florerider
    Hers yes, not sure what she thinks about yours
  • Always guaranteed some sensible advice on bikeradar :lol:
  • Are you looking for free or paid software?

I've pretty much given-up on personal finance software. I used to use Microsoft Money, but that's dead. I'd love to use Mint, but there's no way in heck I'm giving my bank account's username and password to some company no matter how safe they claim it is. You Need a Budget (YNAB) seems to be pretty popular, but wasn't exactly what I was looking for. Quicken is the only one I've considered buying since it seems to work similar to MS Money, but bad reviews have kept me from plunking down my change.
  • Are you looking for free or paid software?

I've pretty much given-up on personal finance software. I used to use Microsoft Money, but that's dead. I'd love to use Mint, but there's no way in heck I'm giving my bank account's username and password to some company no matter how safe they claim it is. You Need a Budget (YNAB) seems to be pretty popular, but wasn't exactly what I was looking for. Quicken is the only one I've considered buying since it seems to work similar to MS Money, but bad reviews have kept me from plunking down my change.
    I have been using quicken for fifteen years. It is excellent.

If you can, get a copy of the UK version which came out in 2004. IMHO it's getter than the US current version. It integrates with online banking and also deals with multiple currencies.

Having said that, most financial software is good at telling you what you spent your money on. It is not good at planning for the future or telling you what you can afford. For that you need a properly structured spreadsheet. I use both, with the spreadsheet doing a forward looking 12 month window, and quicken telling me what I have spent. At the end of each month I put the actuals into the spreadsheet so that when I come to do forward planning I can base it on what I actually spent in the past.
  • florerider
    Always guaranteed some sensible advice on bikeradar :lol:

It's a service we provide :lol:
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,832
    florerider wrote:
    Always guaranteed some sensible advice on bikeradar :lol:

It's a service we provide :lol:

And consistent
  • Stevo_666
    Mr. h only took an interest in this thread because I mentioned locking an alcoholic in an off license :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • tlw1
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Mr. h only took an interest in this thread because I mentioned locking an alcoholic in an off license :)

true - I don't need personal finance software to know all my money goes on the mortgage, food, petrol, bike shop & the rest goes to supporting local businesses - mainly the brewery at the top of the road.

Life would be a lot easier if I didn't pay so much tax....... but lets avoid that line of conversation here :)
  • dave02
    dave02 Posts: 325
    You Pay TAX :shock:
  • Stevo_666
    matthew h wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

true - I don't need personal finance software to know all my money goes on the mortgage, food, petrol, bike shop & the rest goes to supporting local businesses - mainly the brewery at the top of the road.

Life would be a lot easier if I didn't pay so much tax....... but lets avoid that line of conversation here :)
    Good idea, I think Citizen Piña's blood pressure is high enough after failing to overthrow the evil capitalist oppressors (aka an accountant, a bloke who rents cottages in France and a car mechanic) :P
  • tlw1
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Good idea, I think Citizen Piña's blood pressure is high enough after failing to overthrow the evil capitalist oppressors (aka an accountant, a bloke who rents cottages in France and a car mechanic) :P

its like a shite version of reservoir dogs
  • Stevo_666
    matthew h wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Reservoir tw@ts?
  • tlw1
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    matthew h wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Reservoir tw@ts?

:)
  • florerider
    Reservoir cogs?
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    I'm proud to know these people...
  • If you can, get a copy of the UK version which came out in 2004. IMHO it's getter than the US current version. It integrates with online banking and also deals with multiple currencies.
    I went ahead and got Quicken 2014 from Amazon.com last night after posting. For some reason the Deluxe version is 60% off ($30), so I figure that it's worth trying for that little. I'm in the USA, so I didn't get the UK version :wink:

I'm not going to use the online banking integration feature. If you read the help file, when you enter your user name and password, Intuit stores that information on their servers. No thank you! I resorted to manually downloading info from my banks and importing it. (I'm a computer nerd by trade, and there's no way I'm allowing my username and password to be stored by a 3rd party.)

So far, it seems like a decent program. It's taking me a little while to get used to how it works, but it's not bad... especially not for $30. I don't understand why the new version requires you to create an online account with Intuit and wants all sorts of information from you. I hate that.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Mikey23 wrote:
    I'm proud to know these people...

It must make you feel rather intelligent hanging around with us Mikey :wink:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • florerider wrote:

Cool, intelligent trousers. Might buy some for the missus when she has her Father Dougal moments.
    Scott S40 Speedster
    Dialled Stay Strong MX20R

I no longer live in an ivory tower, these days it's vintage white :shock:
  • Ontrees. Seems ok but if you have accounts like hsbc who use a random number generator or if you have to enter different parts of your password each time then it starts to fall down. Could be really useful but the thing we want to be good (security) prevents apps like this from working 100%.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    I manage with pen and paper. :cry:
    Not much to keep track of.