Saddle size?

Tiberius007
Tiberius007 Posts: 195
edited January 2014 in Road beginners
Hi
Does anyone have any advice on how to take measurements to ensure correct saddle fit/purchase?
Thanks

Comments

• Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    darn, now I'm going to have to buy a skateboard as well.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    There are various guides on the web on how to measure yourself for a saddle. Mine was too narrow and painful after an hour. Bought a new wider, cut out saddle and can now ride for hours with no problems.
  • diamonddog wrote:

Many thanks
    Will give it a view, found a few things on the web too. Also seems that some LBSs may have a 'thing' that helps measure too.
    Thanks again.
  • Kajjal wrote:
    There are various guides on the web on how to measure yourself for a saddle. Mine was too narrow and painful after an hour. Bought a new wider, cut out saddle and can now ride for hours with no problems.

Thanks, I have since found a couple of interesting articles which are helping. very interesting how contrary to what I would have thought, it seems that for distance a harder saddle is better. Bizarre. Well not really I suppose once I understood it. :D

Just goes to show how important the saddle actually is in protecting that area and thus making the ride more comfortable. Only asking as I am looking to get a more sportive bike for some longer distances so clearly a saddle is going to be vitally important.

Think I am just going to order the cheapest one as part of the build and then work out which one I actually need want. No point wasting money on an expensive one unless I know it will actually be what I need/want. Thanks for the tip on the cut out too.
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
  • Thanks guys will give them a look