Trek Superfly race bike - now under 19lbs, pics page 5

njee20
njee20 Posts: 9,613
edited May 2015 in Your mountain bikes
Never done a build thread, but they seem to be the done thing in these here parts. So... I had a Top Fuel race bike:

5797450312_e8db65f5a6_z.jpg

It cracked here:

11972231536_834e4f1eb3_z.jpg

But Trek had no carbon 26" seat stays left, so I got one of these for virtually nothing (big up Trek, awesome result):

Asset_164135?wid=1490&hei=1080&fit=fit,1&fmt=png-alpha&qlt=80,1&op_usm=0,0,0,0&iccEmbed=0

Didn't take any photos, but I took it all apart, so I'm left with this:

11972219806_5dbc739ce0_z.jpg

Not the lightest, but not too bad (including mech hanger, seat clamp, armour etc), having changed to alu bottle cage bolts:

11972232846_37f6e06a9d_z.jpg

Then I bought a pile of stuff to go back on it:

11971783214_0ab7870d9c_z.jpg

11971374665_968aea8951_z.jpg

11972210376_fdaf6796c4_z.jpg

Still waiting for some Light Bicycle carbon rims, being delivered tomorrow.

Added in some nice light finishing kit (the seatpost is very marginal as to whether it's long enough, but I had it sitting around anyway):

11972176826_db741152ba_z.jpg

11971366625_cf1519a1de_z.jpg

For now I'm reusing the XTR brakes, the stem and bars off the Top Fuel. Probably going to embrace fashion and get a 90mm stem (that's short), and I've got a 710mm Mt Zoom flat bar on order. Consistently impressed with their stuff - order 3 bits on XCRacer and you get 10% off.

Using the SID that came on the stock bike, don't like the Xloc remote and the World Cup is silly money. May well take the MoCo out of the SID, done it on two previous ones, saves c100g, and I don't notice the lack of compression damping, the lockout is just something to clutter the bars and get broken. Even more annoying on the newest forks as the default setting is locked.

The Top Fuel was 19.89lbs with Rocket Rons in its lightest guise, I'd quite like to get this under 19.5, but not totally convinced I'll manage it - thru axles front and rear, heavier fork, wheels, tyres etc. We'll have to see!

In the mean time I still have the XT brakes (with 160/160 rotors if you want), I-spec B 10 speed shifters and the DT X1800 wheels (with DT350 Straight Pull hubs) if anyone is interested!

Comments

• WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    Nice that'll certainly fly if you can get it down to that weight. Shame about the Top Fuel that was great looking bike.
  • gt-arrowhead
    gt-arrowhead Posts: 2,507
    That looks like it will be a seriously fast/light bike there.

That frame looks awesome, nice one!

You should go for some carbon rigids, would be a full on flyweight racer. :)
  • njee20
    And horrible to ride ;-)

Yeah it was a shame about the Fuel, I actually rode it cracked for 3 months with no ill effect.
  • JMcP92
    JMcP92 Posts: 339
    Sad the Top fuel is dead, nice wee thing and my inner weight wenie was in love :) All the best for the new one :)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    That looks like it's going to be a nice bike, can't wait to see it built up, I'd be very surprised if you can't get down to that target.

Great choice of scales as well.......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Looking forward to seeing this built!! Very nice spec
    James
  • njee20
    Thanks all, shame the trails are all trashed at the moment!
    Great choice of scales as well...

The mrs' kitchen scales! Do the job though certainly!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    My mrs' has the EXACT same scales...and yes they 'may' occasionally be used for bike bits!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Very nice. I had a short ride on an aluminium Superfly and it was definitely fast compared to my Anthem.
    I'm feeling the need for a 29er xc bike for all day rides. I think it could be good for eating up miles with minimal effort.
  • njee20
    Cheers! Looking forward to it. Never really ridden a 29er in anger, but it was a bit moot as I had no choice!

Rims turned up today - Light Bicycle hookless, 355g and 356g, look interesting, sure tyres will stay put, but it'll take a bit of getting used to. I'll stick pics up when I'm not on an iDevice!

Just need nipples now and it's all ready to go!
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    This is gonna be nice! Was looking at the 650b LB AM hookless rims online earlier, interesting concept will be interested to see how you get with them.
  • njee20
    Very well made - decent service, I specifically requested lightweight ones and they obviously make them to order, she apologised one came out slightly heavier!

Only thing was delivery time, they said 7 days and I ordered them on the 10th December and they only just arrived - took a while in customs and that once they got here, but it was at least 3 weeks until they shipped.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Yeah I've heard good things, how long stuff gets held in customs is out of their hands I guess. They'll be going on my next build so time frame won't be an issue!
  • minley1
    minley1 Posts: 126
    This looks like it's going to be a very nice bit if kit, what brand are the hubs?
  • njee20
    They're American Classic, ordered from the US, only about £250 for the pair, which isn't bad.
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    Nice Top Fuel, pre crack that is.

Nice build too.
  • njee20
    Aye, was a really nice bike, longest I'd ever kept a mountain bike, 3 whole years! Should change more, they won't break!

Still got the shock, seatpost, rocker and chain stays. Not that much use now!

Was hoping to actually build the Superfly this weekend, but life got in the way as always. Still waiting for nipples from CRC too, been "processing" for a week now :roll:
  • willy b
    willy b Posts: 4,125
    Stunning, very stunning indeed. Look forward to seeing it built up.
  • njee20
    Cheers Will! Shame about the rider these days :oops:

A couple of dodgy photos of the rims - they're 3k matte finish, more subtle than I might have expected, in a good way. Quite deep too. They do look a bit weird without a bead hook, it doesn't even look like a particularly abrupt angle at the bottom of the sidewall, which I was sort of expecting!

12000840783_e3b2ebe53f_b.jpg

12000529755_bd9ba7d8f7_c.jpg

Nipples got dispatched today, the fiancée is out tomorrow, so I can crack on with the build, probably...
  • dusk
    dusk Posts: 583
    What's the reason for hookless?
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite
  • njee20
    Stronger and lighter. This is in reference to Roval rims, but you get the idea:
    Back in the day, rims were originally rolled steel and didn’t have bead hooks. With the advent of extruded alloy rims, they could easily put the hook on the rim as insurance against the wild variations in tire manufacturing. With tire tolerances more exact nowadays, Specialized found that they didn’t actually need the hook.

Thompson says no one’s rolled a tire off yet, but they do have a 25psi recommended minimum for all of their carbon rims. The tire bead in compression (ie. when inflated) pops into place, and the Kevlar or carbon beads used in good quality modern tires won’t stretch at all, so it can’t expand to the point where it’ll slip off.

We'll have to see! I generally run 25psi, and have certainly gone softer, but hopefully I won't die!
  • dusk
    makes sense I guess!
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite
  • njee20
    Unless the tyres explode and I die.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    HIgh pressure exploding rubber death.. sounds painful!
  • njee20
    And highly undignified.

Threw a few bits on it last night, cranks came to 513g:

12099552156_e8633269bd_z.jpg

32t ring was 50g, ESI Chunky grips were 55g. Photos didn't really come out, badly lit garage and my hasty phone photos.

Certainly lighter options whilst there's a host of narrow/wide rings on the market, admittedly all more expensive though. Puts them 80-90g lighter than XT/SLX. 100g heavier than a THM M3, but 1/3 the price! Vaguely tempted by a set of Lightning cranks at some point - 150g lighter, and 'only' $610.

Weighed the SID remote lockout too - 77g for lever/cable, so the lockout assembly is coming out. The lever feels plasticky, and if the cable sticks the fork locks out. Reckon the MoCo DNA will save another 100g or so, just hope they've not done anything that means removing it will affect the rebound damping, didn't on older forks.
  • Thewaylander
    Just remember to have a good dump before you ride it to make sure the rider it as racing weight ;)

Joking aside should be interesting though, did you manage to pick up those xx1 cranks, arms only?
  • njee20
    They come as arms only (with chainring bolts), you buy BB and ring separately. Makes sense really.
  • Thewaylander
    looking at the X0 stuff to match through on my build in May and they only come as double or tripple really annoying.
  • njee20
    Same cranks on XX1 and XO1 (and XO), but if you get the X01 ones you're limited in chainring size.

I got all my XX1 from Starbike who were cheapest at the time - worth a shop around though, CRC came close when they had £50 off £500 offers on.

X01 from them here, for a whopping £7 less!
  • dusk
    I don't really get Sram, they've come up with this unique BCD for cahinrings yet their cranks have removeable spiders, I took the spider off my X9 cranks and have a one piece chainring, it's lighter, looks neater and I can get any chainring size I want
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite