XTR m986 / m985 short cage

mini_death
mini_death Posts: 98
edited January 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hey guys, looking to convert an XTR shadow+ (m986 same as m985 just with direct mount, not that I give a shit about direct mount) rear mech to short cage. Just wondering if anyone has done it? I remember reading in a mag (god knows which one) that one of the guys was going to do it on his long term rig but never read the follow up.
I'm guessing I'll want a cage from an M820 but will I need anything else?

Looking at the tech docs it does look like it could be a fiddle.

M986:
http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/techd ... 801193.pdf

M820:
http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/techd ... 801191.pdf

Any thoughts or knowledge of the article?
If nothing else I plan to document this so others can have a crack at it. (Assuming it goes ok.)

EDIT:
I'M NOT WORRIED ABOUT THE COST OR THE TIME. I APPRECIATE JUST SLAPPING ON A SAINT/ZEE WOULD BE THE EASIEST OPTION BUT THIS IS WHAT I WANT TO DO.
Community police have been on the look out for a vandal by the name of \'The Elusive Lout\'. Any information you could give would be gratefully received.

Comments

• Can't see why it wouldn't be possible, it is only a coil tension spring. I'd question the point though, stick with the whole Saint
  • Oh just realised - it is 9 and 10 speed, so there is point.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    My first thoughts are you will get a new mech for less, and they look different on how they mount.

And then there are other issues.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The M820 is ten speed as is the M986.

I've not bought either yet. I want the light weight of an xtr mech with the short cage of a saint mech. The saint mech cage is available as a spare so it won't increase the cost massively.

The reason I want a short cage is better clearance and better tension for a 1x10 set up.

edit:
    I've seen and spoken with someone who's done it with an old 9sp saint mech cage (pre-clutch), but they had to make various modifications to get it to work. I'm not against that, but the less modification the less to go wrong.
    Community police have been on the look out for a vandal by the name of \'The Elusive Lout\'. Any information you could give would be gratefully received.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Not worth it at all IMO. Buy a Saint mech and fit alu bolts and some Mt Zoom ultralight jockey wheels. Or just have a GS cage mech.
  • I'm not worried about if it's worth it. I'm just interested if anyone has done it. The simplest, cheapest option would just be a zee rear mech, but that's not what I'm after.
  • mister p
    mister p Posts: 405
    Yes it is possible, I have done it and it is not too difficult to do.

When you put the new cage on make sure you remove the little screw in stopper (the middle bit of part number 19 on THIS DIAGRAM ) then you can put the cage on and rotate it through 360 degrees to get tension in the spring (part number 17). Pop the stopper back in while holding the now tensioned cage and job's a good un.
  • Nice one, cheers mate.
  • Job done, was just a straight cage swap. I followed this video:
    http://youtu.be/ZtxRoqh0rD0

The saint cage popped straight on, only annoying bit was the stop bolt on the xtr cage as it did not want to come out with a screwdriver. A pair of pliers however got the offending stop bolt off. I refitted it to the saint cage as I'm selling the xtr one and it wouldn't be very nice of me to send it with the rounded head so I popped the saint one on it. (They're identical obviously.)

If anyone's interested in an xtr medium cage I'll be linking to my ebay auction unless that's against the rules in which case I'm sure a friendly mod will remove it. It has been taken off a brand new mech and never used so is in pristine condition.
    Link:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/XTR-M985-M986 ... 4d17aa12e7

IMG00094-20140117-2124_zps297a88f3.jpgIMG00095-20140117-2125_zps7522870b.jpg