fork service worth it?

frankspencer1979
frankspencer1979 Posts: 525
edited January 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
I have rockshox recon silver solo air 120mm, approx 2010/11. Never been serviced. I'm starting to think they don't feel like they used too. There's almost no, or very little, resistance in the first bit of travel, but I can't remember if they've always been like that or not. They are only cheap forks at the end of the day.

I would like to upgrade, mainly to something lighter, but there's so many other things I have to spend money on right now so I thought a service might be a cheaper option. Don't fancy tackling it myself, but is it likely to be worthwhile on what is A basic fork anyway!?

Comments

• oxocube1
    oxocube1 Posts: 651
    It's very easy to service a set of forks. Especially a set of Recons. I personally don't think it would be worth paying to get it done as it would probably add up to more than they are worth. These two videos show how to remove the lowers and install them again. You could probably get away with doing just that and giving them a good clean inside at the same time. No need to remove/mess with the damper or air spring:

Lowers removal

Lowers Installation

You won't even need to replace the oil in the damper as it should be a closed bath. Just the replace lubrication oil in the bottom of each fork leg.

Also the manual is always useful:

RS Recon Tech Docs
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    Fork servicing can make a really big difference. The fork performance will degrade slowly over time so you won't notice it from one ride to another and you can soon find your self riding a fork that is a bit dud.

Lower leg services are very worth while. You'll be suprised at the amount of dirt that can find a way behind the seals. They are pretty easy to do at home.

But due to the age of your forks I'd recommend a full service of the air spring and damper. Never tried one my self (always sent off to someone else to do) but doesn't look much harder just a bit more fiddly.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Just give them a lower lube. The damper is so basic its not really worth servicing.
    A lower lube will take an hour at most and cost around £20 for new seals and oil. TF Tuned sell a refresh kit which includes everything you need. It should make a good difference.