Knee Arthroscopy - When to get back on the bike?

marcg868
marcg868 Posts: 116
edited January 2014 in Health, fitness & training
Due to have Surgery on Saturday the 21st and have some of my Meniscus removed due to a tear or rather two tears. Now i work on Orthopaedics, so i know i will be ok to work after 3/4 weeks recovery. But how long till im back on the bike?

Also i've not rode for three weeks due to pain in knee and Shoulder ( Rotator cuff tear thats the next job to be done in 2014) but im itching just to blast one more ride out before i have surgery. Is it wise?

Comments

• I believe it is 6-8 weeks at least. But ask your doctor for sure!
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Check with doctor and physio. For some injuries or at different points in recovery cycling is not a good idea.
  • marcg868
    Update. Had surgery meniscus turned out not to be torn but very frayed and rough and would of torn probably.
    It's now 8 days and I'm walking more or less normal with minimal pain. Changed dressing and still a bit of ooozing. No realdischarge advice other than full weight bear as pain allows no more than 90 ddegrees bend for a week. Been doing my exercises knee extensions and flexing. Thinking of going for a light spin next week. Stupid idea? Or do I just be patient and wait a few more weeks?
  • Storty
    Storty Posts: 18
    Hi. I had an arthroscopy last summer following a medial meniscus tear. I did a program of strengthening exercises for 6 weeks afterwards and only then went out on my bike. I think the only thing to consider would be the stability of your knee if the kind of stuff you ride is quite bumpy as it's probably still recovering from getting massively expanded with fluid during the operation. But then if it feels ok......... Maybe best get a professional opinion first! I do understand your frustration at not being able to ride though. Hope it goes well and you recover fully whatever you do.
  • marcg868
    Storty wrote:
    Hi. I had an arthroscopy last summer following a medial meniscus tear. I did a program of strengthening exercises for 6 weeks afterwards and only then went out on my bike. I think the only thing to consider would be the stability of your knee if the kind of stuff you ride is quite bumpy as it's probably still recovering from getting massively expanded with fluid during the operation. But then if it feels ok......... Maybe best get a professional opinion first! I do understand your frustration at not being able to ride though. Hope it goes well and you recover fully whatever you do.

I went out on slightly on road and bumpy fire road type stuff locally. Knee wasn't painful and the bumps were fine. But I struggled with standing up on the pedals for anymore than five mins. I'm going to just go easy and build up to rougher stuff.
  • Storty
    Storty Posts: 18
    Sounds like a plan. If you've got access to a turbo trainer it will help speed up the recovery as your knee strength and stability will improve without the risk of impact. Not much fun though.