Help needed.

domyx
domyx Posts: 15
edited January 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hey, guys!
I'm new to bikes and recently my front suspension fork broke, so I dissembled it. The problem is that I don't remember where goes which part... This is how I put it back together, but now the steering wheel is barely moving and very tight. Please tell me in what order I should put the parts back together.

Comments

• oxocube1
    oxocube1 Posts: 651
    From what you've got there I'd say:

- Take 3 and 4 off the forks then put the forks back in the bike.
    - then put 3 on the opposite way around to the picture.
    - next do the same with 4
    - then 2
    - then the two spacers you have there.
    - next, your stem
    - finally your topcap and bolt, so the blue bit of 1.

I think thats correct but could be wrong.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Read the info on Parktools as it normally shows up where you are wrong http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-hel ... et-service

But first to be clear. This is the same fork as you sent away or has parts been replaced?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Going from the picture, 7 is the crown race and needs to be knocked down tight onto the crown, 3 the compression wedge and should be the first part above the headset after the fork is inserted through the frame followed by the 2 then spacers stem etc....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • russyh
    russyh Posts: 1,375
    Looks like the crown race is already on to me though. It looks like number 3 is almost a top race so to speak and the grey rig is the compression wedge.
  • The Rookie
    Not to me, I can't see anything that looks like a crown race knocked down.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • russyh
    russyh Posts: 1,375
    think its just the picture quality when you zoom in there to me looks like a very definite look of a crown race
  • The Rookie
    I did that, I have some with the same step that isn't a crown race, but could be wrong.
  • domyx
    Thanks for help guys. I tried the oxocube1 way, but the parts did not really fit that way. Now I put number 4 on bottom. Nr. 3, 2, 1 on top and it seems like a fit, but still the steering is hard and something is not right...Any other suggestions?
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    That's not a sealed bearing in the bottom cup is it? My first thoughts were that No.3 was the inside ring of te bearing - and has been knocked out.

If this is the case then No.4 is centreing wedge and your crown race is already installed!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    4 is certainly not a crown race. I suggest a new headset. Or a better picture.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • pesky_jones
    cooldad wrote:
    4 is certainly not a crown race.

Who said that? Is it just me that thinks the crown race is already installed?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    He said he put it on the bottom, where the crown race would go. Not talking about you.
    Looks like the crown race might be installed, but a decent pic would help.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • pesky_jones
    Oh I see. Do you get open bearings like shown in the picture as well? With bare ball bearings? That's what makes me think the inner ring has been knocked out and referred to as no3
  • BigAl
    BigAl Posts: 3,122
    I don't think I'm getting the full picture - as I can't see item 1 or any spacers.

FWIW, I think the crown race is already fitted. So

Remove forks and all the bits and pieces.
    Fit forks
    Fit item 2 (looks like the top half of the top race to me - but I can only see half of it)
    Fit item 4 (inverted compared to the picture, looks like a compression ring to me)
    Fit item 3 (looks like the top part of the headset which bears down on the compression ring)

then fit yours spacers, stem, top cap etc
  • pesky_jones
    BigAl wrote:
    I don't think I'm getting the full picture - as I can't see item 1 or any spacers.

Click in picture area and scroll down, its wierd.
  • domyx
    I'm glad to say that the problem is fixed. Altough I tried to follow these instructions before and they did not work, this time they worked... I guess I hadnt fit in the parts properly before. Big thanks for all the help!

cr
    oxocube1 wrote:
    From what you've got there I'd say:

- Take 3 and 4 off the forks then put the forks back in the bike.
    - then put 3 on the opposite way around to the picture.
    - next do the same with 4
    - then 2
    - then the two spacers you have there.
    - next, your stem
    - finally your topcap and bolt, so the blue bit of 1.

I think thats correct but could be wrong.