Watch advice

bg13
bg13 Posts: 4,598
edited March 2014 in The hub
Evening team,

Need some watch advice please. Will be coming into a nice wedge of money soon and fancy a decent watch, i used to like the idea of a Tag Heuer but a brand called UBoat have really caught my eye, love the styling and size of them. Anyone any advice on where to get them from for customer service, warranty, few quid off etc.

Any comments/advice will be greatly appreciated.
Loving life in rural SW France

Orange 5 Pro
Ribble Audax
On One Scandal 29er

Comments

• tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    U Boat and Tag they are fashion pieces, Look for a decent Calibre Automatic Movement , it needs to be CSC (chronometer certified) and swiss movement.

Tags chronometer chronographs are good watches with an in house movement that performs with the best, but personally I still see them more as a fashion statement than a time piece.

Perversely Omega has suffered in my eyes with the whole James Bond association but I still think their Co axial movements are amongst the best out there and their Seamasters amongst the best Automatic Chronometers available.

If you like U Boats look at Paneri, Similar style , much more Heritage and infinitely better movements.

check out IAN BLOWERS jewellers in Hull site. Lots of lovely pre owned and new stuff.
  • Tb2121
    Tb2121 Posts: 73
    bg13 wrote:
    Evening team,

Need some watch advice please. Will be coming into a nice wedge of money soon and fancy a decent watch, i used to like the idea of a Tag Heuer but a brand called UBoat have really caught my eye, love the styling and size of them. Anyone any advice on where to get them from for customer service, warranty, few quid off etc.

Any comments/advice will be greatly appreciated.

Obviously a wedge of money differs between people, but if you are looking at Uboat/Tag- i'm thinking its between 2-4k.
    At this price you've got to think that a watch has a decent movement, ability to hold its value and obviously look good on your wrist. Uboat are plainly awful and laughed at by most people who know watches- they are purely fashion watches. Tag Heuer Monaco and Carrera have a good history and are nice watches- nice movements etc. If I were you with this much cash-i'd look at second hand Rolex- for 4k- you could pick up a Rolex Submariner- if you looked hard enough- this is a watch that would hold its value for years- looks great etc.
    Other options for me would be second hand Audemars Piguet Royal Oak- classic watch and again something that looks great and will hold value, also looking at the Omega Speedmaster- moon watch is recommended, Breitling SuperOcean/Navitimer, and for me Omega Seamaster/or Planet Ocean or Zenith El Primero. Panerai have developed watches that split peoples opinions- to me I do like them- but I hate the way they've over exaggerated their history and only lately have lived up to the prices they charge with movements and finishing that it deserves. Its also questionable whether these watches will last in regard to maintaining value etc- only time will tell.

But please forget the Uboat.
  • Hi,

I am a big watch lover and also work at an auction house (not sure if I can say without the admin thinking I am advertising!).

If you have 2-4k to spend you could get a belter of a watch at auction, much more than a Tag or UBoat.

In my opinion I would stay away from both of the above brands as neither hold their value as much as other brands. If you like UBoat watches take a look at Panerai or Bell and Ross. For the money you have you could also pick up a nice Rolex, either a Submariner, Deep Sea, GMT etc, or for a more elegant watch you could also get an IWC or a very plain Patek Philippe. Another great watch is a Audemars Piguet Royal Oak.

All of the above watches can be purchased at auction within your budget. I can list the most reputable and trusted auctioneers as long as the admin do not think I am advertising! But don't buy retail, you will lose a whole load of money if you come to sell it!
    Remember Rule #5
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    Tb2121 wrote:
    If I were you with this much cash-i'd look at second hand Rolex- for 4k- you could pick up a Rolex Submariner- if you looked hard enough- this is a watch that would hold its value for years- looks great etc.

No, no, not Rolex. Next you'll be advising he get some Gucci loafers and an onyx coffee table!

I went for a Breitling, myself.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    Hi,

I am a big watch lover and also work at an auction house (not sure if I can say without the admin thinking I am advertising!).

If you have 2-4k to spend you could get a belter of a watch at auction, much more than a Tag or UBoat.

In my opinion I would stay away from both of the above brands as neither hold their value as much as other brands. If you like UBoat watches take a look at Panerai or Bell and Ross. For the money you have you could also pick up a nice Rolex, either a Submariner, Deep Sea, GMT etc, or for a more elegant watch you could also get an IWC or a very plain Patek Philippe. Another great watch is a Audemars Piguet Royal Oak.

All of the above watches can be purchased at auction within your budget. I can list the most reputable and trusted auctioneers as long as the admin do not think I am advertising! But don't buy retail, you will lose a whole load of money if you come to sell it!

some great advice - wish I had known this when I was buying a birth year watch!
  • Tb2121
    Tb2121 Posts: 73
    Tb2121 wrote:
    If I were you with this much cash-i'd look at second hand Rolex- for 4k- you could pick up a Rolex Submariner- if you looked hard enough- this is a watch that would hold its value for years- looks great etc.

No, no, not Rolex. Next you'll be advising he get some Gucci loafers and an onyx coffee table!

I went for a Breitling, myself.

Yep, good point!! I'm not a Rolex fan myself- but if you are looking at 4k and wanting something to hold its value- then the Submariner is a good 'safe' (and boring) option.

I'm with you- my 4k would go on a 806 or 809 vintage Breitling.
  • big_p
    big_p Posts: 565
    Last year's Christmas present to myself

483339_583558021670287_1830079009_n.jpg

It's an Omega Sea Master 300m ceramic, it Never loses time, cant remember when i last wound it up, i never take it off and it has zero scratches on it.

I've got my eye on the Speedmaster moon watch for my birthday, watches dont come with much more history than that.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,167
    What's your budget bg?

I have a few favourite brands but a lot depends on what you're prepared to splash for a proper 'Swissy'.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • bg13
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    What's your budget bg?

I have a few favourite brands but a lot depends on what you're prepared to splash for a proper 'Swissy'.

2500 max Stevo,

Reading the chat above i'm changing my original thoughts but do like the look of the UBoats, have seen some Bell and Ross before that i liked the look of but never pursued the thought until now.

Couple of months until i get the dosh but thanks for the advice above team, more window shopping to be had.

Orange 5 Pro
    Ribble Audax
    On One Scandal 29er
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    bg13 wrote:
    Reading the chat above i'm changing my original thoughts but do like the look of the UBoats, have seen some Bell and Ross before that i liked the look of but never pursued the thought until now.

I wouldn't discount the U Boats just because you've come across some watch snobbery (no offence intended to anyone). Expensive watches are ridiculous purchases at best so, unless you're looking first and foremost for investment potential, you should go for what you like and what feels good on your wrist and not worry about what 'people who know about watches' think. You're buying the watch for you, not for them. The U Boats have a quite distinctive styling and that can be a bit Marmite (I happen to like 'em, there's a bit of Steam Punk going on) so if someone gives you a strong reaction to the styling I wouldn't put too much store into that. Best thing to do is to go and try one on, along with any other brands that take your fancy. How it looks and feels to you when it's on your wrist should be the only thing that matters. I was originally set on getting a Cartier, been thinking about it for months, but then I tried a couple a Breitlings and it changed my mind. Go watch shopping, it's one of life's great pleasures.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • bg13
    bg13 wrote:

I wouldn't discount the U Boats just because you've come across some watch snobbery (no offence intended to anyone). Expensive watches are ridiculous purchases at best so, unless you're looking first and foremost for investment potential, you should go for what you like and what feels good on your wrist and not worry about what 'people who know about watches' think. You're buying the watch for you, not for them. The U Boats have a quite distinctive styling and that can be a bit Marmite (I happen to like 'em, there's a bit of Steam Punk going on) so if someone gives you a strong reaction to the styling I wouldn't put too much store into that. Best thing to do is to go and try one on, along with any other brands that take your fancy. How it looks and feels to you when it's on your wrist should be the only thing that matters. I was originally set on getting a Cartier, been thinking about it for months, but then I tried a couple a Breitlings and it changed my mind. Go watch shopping, it's one of life's great pleasures.

Cheers Angus, think i'm going to enjoy the shopping.

Orange 5 Pro
    Ribble Audax
    On One Scandal 29er
  • Stevo_666
    bg13 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    What's your budget bg?

2500 max Stevo,

Couple of months until i get the dosh but thanks for the advice above team, more window shopping to be had.
    Omegas should come into your price range. My faves are IWC and Panerai but you'll struggle to find any new ones below that (esp Panerai). If you're ever in London, go to the watch room at Selfridges and prepare to blow your budget! Pure watch pron.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • alistaird
    alistaird Posts: 290
    I've too many watches and like them all.... Amongst them a U-Boat, Tag, JLC, Omega, Rado etc...

Most have a Swatch (ETA) movement inside them so it's mainly down to quality of the case and strap build but probably much more important, the styling. Enjoy the hunt and make sure you try them on as they look hugely different on the wrist...

A
    Alistair

Best Weather Bike - Time ZXRS
    Summer Road Bike - Pinarello FPX Dogma
    Winter Road Bike- Colnago E1
    Being Dismantled - Sintesi Blade
    Mountain Bike - Sold them all....
  • spongtastic
    spongtastic Posts: 2,651
    Personnaly I'd go auction hunting, much more fun than on line shops.

At the moment I've got a 18ct IWC manual Officers Watch that cost £65 at auction about 6 years ago, and has never lost any time, is worth more and looks far better than most of those mentioned above. If I get bored then I've got a choice of a few Omegas, Aspreys, Smiths, Ingersol or others that cost about £800 in total.
    Visit Clacton during the School holidays - it's like a never ending freak show.

Who are you calling inbred?
  • Like others have said, go 2nd hand. Most owners take care of the watches and would be almost new anyway!

I've had my Seamaster Chrono for nearly 8 years. Worn every day. Bought for £1300 from Chronomaster! The current version retails for nearly 4k now :shock:

Although it does have a co-axel movement now. Prices have gone insane!IMG_0249.jpg
  • equinefunk
    equinefunk Posts: 323
    I have the Omega Speedmaster Pro, Rolex Submariner & just got the Bell & Ross BR03.
    Worminshire has listed excellent watches there. I would add the Tag Carrera to that list. I like watches that are interesting and I think that Bremont are a great new English watch maker.
    I'm over 6' and have quite a large head.
  • Why not ask on a watch forum (somewhere like www.watchuseek.com)? I normally wear a second-hand Seamaster Pro, but not when I'm out on the bike. If I'm cycling, it's either a cheap G-shock or no watch at all.
    They use their cars as shopping baskets; they use their cars as overcoats.
  • lighty89
    lighty89 Posts: 183
    If your a geek then G-Shock, love them.
    MTB - VooDoo Bantu
    Commuter - Raleigh Grande
  • Stevo_666
    G-Shocks rock but not they're exactly a 'special treat' type purchase...
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    When my Dad died I found his old Citizen automatic in a box of bits it hadnt run for about 10 years at least but a quick wind and the second hand started sweeping. About 40 years old and still running sweet it gains about a minute a week in winter and about 40 secs a week in summer. No idea what its worth could be worth 50p for all I care, its a classic and I wouldnt part with it for any money.

10914335215_730433d021_z.jpg
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    G-Shocks rock but not they're exactly a 'special treat' type purchase...

agree, a great everyday watch