thanks
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    tumblr_mryu24kR0o1sfv65yo1_1280.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Cool, a Passolo frame with Zuitn wheels! :D
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    That can't be your screenshot Frenchie, I could never imagine you playing as Sky in a cycling manager game!
  • Paul 8v wrote:
    That can't be your screenshot Frenchie, I could never imagine you playing as Sky in a cycling manager game!

FF does it so that he can have Froome lose control of his bike and tumble down a ravine, John Lee Augustyn-stylie

:wink:
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,200
    Paul 8v wrote:

FF does it so that he can have Froome lose control of his bike and tumble down a ravine, John Lee Augustyn-stylie

:wink:

I reckon he just plays to win. :-)

And if anyone wants to win a bonus point (I'm looking at you, FF) please find me a pic of Chris Froome looking at his stem with no power meter on it.

Cheers
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • 20140221118_OMAN%20ETAPE%204_19.jpg

20140221190_OMAN%20ETAPE%204_33.jpg

There are about 5 other examples I could post from his first race of the year.

Here you can see Uran and Sagan showing him when it is acceptable to put your head down - when you are in the zone, going for glory, on the front, into a headwind.

20140221112_OMAN%20ETAPE%204_18.jpg
    20140221106_OMAN%20ETAPE%204_17.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    I posted Dr Ferrari's take on this, didn't I?

Looking Froome in action on the Mont Ventoux during the TdF 2013, one can't help but notice that the English cyclist rhythmically lowers his head, with a frequency that tends to increase along with the pace of the riding: every 5-7 seconds when the effort is moderate, every 2-4 seconds when he attacks, as he did 5-6 km from the finish line on the French mountain.

Some observers have attributed these movements of the head to the obsessive need of "robo-athlete" to check watts and heart rate from the SRM mounted on the handlebar.
    I disagree: any lowering of the head by Froome corresponds to a forced expiration, implemented with a special technique.
    Bowing the head facilitates the elevation of the diaphragm, further encouraging the complete emptying of the lungs: the anterior myofascial tension (from the jaw to the symphysis pubis), proper of the position in hyperextension of the head of the rider looking forward, is in fact reduced, thus facilitating the full expiration.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    Does Ferrari write that himself? I didn't undestand every other word.
  • ChrisFroome_3088553.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Here's one I took myself:

3668411605_8536fb6d4b_z.jpg
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • LOL!

Unreocgnizeable person there apart from the stem-look.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • markwb79
    markwb79 Posts: 937
    LOL!

Plus I cant see a computer on his bike, so there goes the SRM theory.
    Scott Addict 2011
    Giant TCR 2012
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    iainf72 wrote:
    I posted Dr Ferrari's take on this, didn't I?

I missed that previously. Very interesting, ta. But I don't think our aesthetes could swallow widespread adoption of this innovation. How far will Kiryienka have to bend?
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    Markwb79 wrote:
    LOL!

Plus I cant see a computer on his bike, so there goes the SRM theory.

I don't think anyone seriously ever believed that was the case. It just fit quite well in a funny way with the whole Sky robotic theme.

I can't speak for the guys at Cyclingnews, though. That lot is special.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    The whole article is here

http://www.53x12.com/do/show?page=article&id=130

There is also some interesting stuff re: Froome in here

http://www.53x12.com/do/show?page=indepth.view&id=139
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    That's really interesting cos Radcliffe does do that. I hadnt thought of it until you pointed it out...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Very interesting as that would be a pretty effective "marginal gain" - learning how to breath most effectively and get the maximum oxygen to the lungs... Have no idea if this is all b*ll*cks, but it reads a good story...
  • Can someone explain why if this was a proven and effective way of increasing your performance why we dont watch a race and see the majority of riders looking like idiots with their head constantly bowed?
    Contador is the Greatest
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    Can someone explain why if this was a proven and effective way of increasing your performance why we dont watch a race and see the majority of riders looking like idiots with their head constantly bowed?

Because Sky are willing to do things which make them look like idiots?

Seems like more of a habit than anything deliberately thought out
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Same reason teams did nt warm down, same reasons they don't all use aero kit etc etc...

I suspect that it's a bit of a mental thing as well
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Can someone explain why if this was a proven and effective way of increasing your performance why we dont watch a race and see the majority of riders looking like idiots with their head constantly bowed?

Probably the same why different riders have different pedaling styles when riding?
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    So that's where I'm going wrong. Looking down the road. Silly me
  • I dont buy it. If Froome's 250rpm is so effective why don't some of the newer GC riders do this? Why don't they follow his diet to take them from chubby to skin and bone? There is so much at stake that people would try anything to give them an edge.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Alright, it's a tic

*shrugs*
  • Alright, it's a tic

*shrugs*

Given that he was doing this as per Rich's post (assuming that is what he was doing and not just a one-off) then I suspect this is the only logical answer. Really unpleasant to watch though - human beings connect with people by looking at their face.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Anonymous
    I dont buy it. If Froome's 250rpm is so effective why don't some of the newer GC riders do this? Why don't they follow his diet to take them from chubby to skin and bone? There is so much at stake that people would try anything to give them an edge.

What is this diet? When was he chubby? all I can see is he has dropped only a few Kg's since he first appeared. It's hardly revolutionary.
  • Alright, it's a tic

*shrugs*

Given that he was doing this as per Rich's post (assuming that is what he was doing and not just a one-off) then I suspect this is the only logical answer. Really unpleasant to watch though - human beings connect with people by looking at their face.

Well, sounds like he's trying to conquer it. Bloody difficult thing to do though
  • Anonymous
    Alright, it's a tic

*shrugs*

Well, sounds like he's trying to conquer it. Bloody difficult thing to do though

I like watching him, it makes him look like he is burying himself to win. Rather than just prancing about like some champions.