carbon cycles - exotic carbon bars

DodgeT
DodgeT Posts: 2,255
edited January 2014 in MTB buying advice
http://www.carboncycles.cc/?s=0&t=2&c=94&p=1063& these..
Anybody used them? Considering a pair for the enduro, which along with some esi chunkies, will shave a good 300gm.

Comments

• Nice looking bars for the money, will be keeping an eye on this one for future reference :mrgreen:
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    I have them on my Anthem, trimmed to about 730mm and paired with an Exotic 70mm stem. Very pleased with them.
    CopyofDSCN7211_zps815b2982.jpg
    dscn7211_zpsdd0beed8.jpg
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    I have just put some on my latest build - lightweight XC SS hartail - they look good and seem strong with a nice bit of give. The weights given on their website are pretty accurate.

On my build I have the following Exotic bits (with actual weights):
    750 carbon bars - 160g
    60mm Al stem - 110g
    Carbon/Ti seatpost 350mm - 190g
    Foam grips - 18g

Good cheap light stuff
  • Pretty sure thwy have a weight limit, but carbon cycles alu/scandium stuff is great!
  • i have a set on my devinci wilson and they are great
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    a bit lighter than Easton haven's and £30 cheaper - think there is a 90kg weight limit (about 14st) and you'd not want to be hucking huge jumps on them.

TBH I'd rather spend the extra £30 and get the havens just for the extra security of knowing how strong they are.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    TwellySmat wrote:
    Foam grips - 18g

Good cheap light stuff
    I thought the foam grips were rubbish*, but other than that I agree, it's good solid parts at a competative price.

I have just swapped to KCNC which I also have on my commuter (Avenir branded, but the same part)
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Twelly
    At that weight and price, they do the job fine for me.
  • The Rookie
    edited January 2014
    OK, I found them far too soft, they have aged badly and are starting to collapse after only 2 months use, the KCNC were the same price (£6.88 delivered) and weight (OK 19g is 1g more), I have had them on my commuter for 2 years now, hopefully you were happier with yours.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • poah
  • The Rookie
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151154159693? ... 1497.l2648 now £6.80

They are the same grips as one of the Avenir and also the Porkrinds, so just get the cheapest you can find!
  • Twelly
    Sounds good, I have only just fitted the Exotic ones, hopefully they last longer than yours but if they do die I'll get some KCNC ones. Ta
  • The Rookie
    No probs.
  • poah
    The Rookie wrote:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151154159693?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2648 now £6.80

They are the same grips as one of the Avenir and also the Porkrinds, so just get the cheapest you can find!

ordered :(
  • Proutster
    Proutster Posts: 785
    Did you get a set of these Rog?

Interested in having a look if you do, as my Answer Protaper 780 DHs are 445g - big weight saving possible!!

Was thinking about the new Renthal Fatbar Lites in carbon but they're £117 and 180g, so if these Exotics are strong enough then half-price is good!
  • DodgeT
    Just ordered another set of ESI chunkies, was tempted by the kcnc's, but read quite a few bad reviews and seeing as i've used ESI's with no problems before..

Still undecided with the bars, think you need to lend me your's first and i'll try them out :)
  • poah
    I ordered a set of Easton havens from merlin as they had 10% off so got the bars for £76.
  • DodgeT
    Nice, if they had them at 750mm, i'd of gone for a set at that price.
  • poah
    750 mm and 157g scares me - Easton's own 750mm bar is 235g
  • DodgeT
    Renthals 740mm bars are 180.
    Sod it, i've bought a pair of the exotics, will give them a try.

Seems like a few people have them and haven't read any issues on the interweb.
  • DodgeT
    I have the havocs (235gm) on my DH bike and they are awesome bars.
    As soon as I've been on the exotics for half an hour, i'm sure any doubts will have gone :)

Hey, downhill guy has some on his wilson, so they must be strong ;)
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Just taken my carbons off my usual bike, only to try wider bars but they are silly light with a decent amount of give to them. Weights pretty spot on as well.
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    Just come across this thread. Looks like the Carbon Cycles have renamed the 750mm bar. It used to be called "All Mountain Bar" and I was a bit dubious about their strength as the weight is ridiculously low.

I emailed Carbon Cycles but got a pretty crap answer so decided no to go for them. They have a rider weight limit of 90kg and their reply to my question:

"are these bars really suitable for AM riding ie riding on rough terrain with large drops and technical terrain which is tougher than a XC trail"

was

"yes these bars are suitable for mountain bike riding"

I asked them again in case they didn't understand correctly or something was lost in translation but they didn't reply back.
  • DodgeT
    Got the exotics today, seem good quality, not as nicely finished as the eastons, but what do you expect for half the price.
    For those of you who have said you have them, can you just give me a brief idea oc the type of riding you do, just to make me feel easier when I fit them ;)
    Im not going to be doing major stuff, normal xc with light dh, ie going downhill over rocks and drops, not a big jumper, normal riding really,.
  • Twelly
    Mine are on my winter singlespeed. Tame XC evening rides with maybe the odd rooty/rocky descent and general pootling about with the mrs.

They have only been on since before Christmas though so I can't comment on long term use!
  • DodgeT
    The thing that has put doubt in my mind is when I compared them against the havoc's, they are literally half, maybe less, the wall thickness. And this is at the end where your holding them. Hmmm.
    Last thing I want is to put them on, then when out riding, be thinking "should I tackle that" thinking of the bars....
  • Twelly
    How heavy are you with kit?
  • DodgeT
    Just over 80kg naked :wink: so, dunno time added 5 10's, clobber, camelback and lid - sometimes full face. 85 or so.