Advice for parts, bringing bike up to date!

bennyboy1985
bennyboy1985 Posts: 7
edited January 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi All, this is my first post! I haven't been on my bike in just over a year as I recently bought my first home and started shift work, so finding time was getting difficult. Things have settled down and nows the time to get back on it!

Right my question, hopefully some people will be able to offer some advice.

I currently own a Saracen Xray 2 http://www.thebikelist.co.uk/saracen/xray-2-2006.

I upgraded the bikes to Magura HS33 hydraulic Rim brakes. Which were ok but kept getting clogging up easily.
I am looking for some upgrades to bring it up to date, it's still standard forks and gears, so would like some advice on possible upgrades for them.

Also id like to upgrade the brakes to hydraulic discs, I've had a look online and see they do twin piston and quad piston? Which would be better for bike?

I don't mind spending abit of cash, not like thousands as I might as well get a new bike. Just enough to bring me up to date and will last a few years.

Thank you again for looking :-)

P.s if I've posted in wrong section please move it!

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Do your frame and fork have disc mounts, may be worth picking up something second hand if not.
  • Do your frame and fork have disc mounts, may be worth picking up something second hand if not.

Yeah both have two brackets so that discs can be mounted. But I'm hoping to upgrade the forks.
  • Chunkers1980
    What about wheels? Disc mounts?
  • The wheels look ok, and X-ray 3 model had disc brakes on, and I believe the wheels are the same as mine. So the disc should go straight on, I'm only just getting into bike repair and upgrading stuff.
  • ive just had a look at the bike and it looks like the hub will need to be changed to accept the disc, are HOPE hubs ok, or shall i stick with shimano ones? also with the right tools, should i attempt the wheel build or get it done professionally?
  • Chunkers1980
    Nope. Prob better value to get something new to you
  • Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    What kind of riding do you intend to do? The xray is a jump frame. Also not worth throwing money at. Keep it as is or bin it for something better/more suitable second hand.
  • Going to be using the bike for mainly off roading, but with the occasional ride with the missus round town. I got the X-ray cause I found the frame quite comfortable to ride with but if I got a new one, I think dual suspension might be better? Any recommendations? Mid range prices?
  • Chunkers1980
    Mid range price is, quite, a range.
  • Twelly
    Its an old heavy frame with dirt jump geo. Try and find a decent XC hardtail second hand on ebay or on the classifieds section on here. Although, saying that, I dont know your budget so maybe a carbon Bronson would be more suitable...
  • Probably around the 1200 to 1400 quid is probably the best range looking online at bike prices.
  • Twelly
    Ok well the world is your lobster. You can get a very nice hardtail which would be more suited to mixing trail riding and family road rides or you could get a half decent full sus.

I would stick with a hardtail. Go to Decathlon or Halfords and take your pick from the Boardmans or Rockriders