Cav needs to lay off the pies

Comments

• RichN95 wrote:
    Incidently, he was a guest on BBC News's Hard Talk a couple of days ago: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... n_Cyclist/ (long interview: 25 mins)

While looking 'well fed' he doesn't look as big as that photo.

Great link! Just watched the interview, thanks!
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Ha if he can win even in that podgy state it sort of shows how good he will be when he gets to race weight come the summer.
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • Every bloody year, same ol' huffing and puffing about Cav's weight after the offy

And just like every other year, he'll be winning early
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,236
    Every bloody year, same ol' huffing and puffing about Cav's weight after the offy

It is curious though.

That he wins so much despite looking less thin than his rivals.

It obviously doesn't mean anything but it's still curious.
  • Every bloody year, same ol' huffing and puffing about Cav's weight after the offy

It is curious though.

That he wins so much despite looking less thin than his rivals.

It obviously doesn't mean anything but it's still curious.

Like Madasahattersley says, when you see him in the flesh (once he's into the season), he looks as lean as anything. He's got stumpy legs and a bit of a barrel-like upper body that the still camera just doesnt like - at all. Add to that a white jersey and the bands....
  • rick_chasey
    Meh I didn't think he was especially lean when I saw him.

Won the stage though so puh.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    Crampeur wrote:

Not to jump to contusions but does “I’m not very interested in what Mark weighs right now. I’m interested in him winning the first stage of the Tour de France in England on July 5 and wearing the first yellow jersey,” mean he won't be in Belfast for the Giro?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rick_chasey
    Crampeur wrote:

Not to jump to contusions but does “I’m not very interested in what Mark weighs right now. I’m interested in him winning the first stage of the Tour de France in England on July 5 and wearing the first yellow jersey,” mean he won't be in Belfast for the Giro?

Might very well be, but it doesn't matter if he is ;).
  • tailwindhome
    Crampeur wrote:

Might very well be, but it doesn't matter if he is ;).

I don't know. If it isn't going up Box Hill or in funny foreignish you people don't want to know.

Look at the number of riders missing the Tour so they can live out their childhood dreams of riding in a TTT through East Belfast. :lol:
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome
    Maybe he'll not be slimmed down by May and Paul Smith doesn't do XXL.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Crampeur wrote:

It's quite possible. I think he's said that the Giro last year took it out of him and left him a little short at the Tour (he was also ill). There's no more unfinished business at the Giro and Kittel won't be doing it.

If he does start, he certainly wont finish.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    He doesnt look so fat because his arms are up. Do that in front of a mirror and see how many kilos it takes off. Its clear that he looks more overweight than usual. It doesnt really matter apart from an aesthetic point of view or as an example for the younger people. He never was your typical bike rider but there is no denying his talent, work ethic and interesting character.

Worked for Jim Morrison...
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • If he's not careful he'll have another cr@p year like, er, 2011?
    Mark-Cavendish-007.jpg
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,509
    Isn't he just skipping the whole MSR thing, so he has longer to get in shape? I expect him to start, but not finish the Giro.
  • rayjay
    rayjay Posts: 1,384
    In the camp QS pillow fight posted in the gear 2014 thread, he looks like he has lost a bit already.
  • markwb79
    markwb79 Posts: 937
    rayjay wrote:
    In the camp QS pillow fight posted in the gear 2014 thread, he looks like he has lost a bit already.

He has already lost 4kg
    Scott Addict 2011
    Giant TCR 2012
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    Markwb79 wrote:
    rayjay wrote:

He has already lost 4kg

through a pillow fight? :)
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    says in his book he used to finish the tour at 69kg and get to 76kg in height of off season.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • okgo wrote:
    says in his book he used to finish the tour at 69kg and get to 76kg in height of off season.

Seeing the photo, shouldn't that be the "width" of the off-season?
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    okgo wrote:

That's really quite solid, given his height.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Oi, that's what I weighg now. It's my winter bulking phase though....

I'm not fussed about what Cav weighs - he seems to be a naturally physically predisposed to putting weight on. It just makes it all the more remarkable that he can win GT stages (and climb high mountains in the process)
  • MartinGT
    MartinGT Posts: 475
    Ben6899 wrote:
    okgo wrote:

That's really quite solid, given his height.

He's 5'9, thats not a bad weight :lol:
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    its quite a bit to be honest.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • gpreeves
    gpreeves Posts: 454
    okgo wrote:
    its quite a bit to be honest.

It's not awful. 76kg would give him a BMI of 24.8, which is only 0.5 higher than Kittel and Degenkolb if the heights and weights listed for them on Google are accurate.

I know BMI is a limited measure, and the inputs might be inaccurate, but it isn't exactly obese.
  • rick_chasey
    Boonen weighs 82kg and he's 1.92....
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    amazed Cav gets up to 76kg! Seems a fair weight to me too... Still, he knows what he is doing as he has proved time and time before.
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    tumblr_mz56owutlg1r0jlfpo3_1280.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • ^nowt to do with Cav, but I really really hope Boonen has a good season

That is all.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    I reckon he will be firing on all cylinders and it will be wonderful.

"I always like to start strong, put a stamp on the start of the season and show everyone that I'm back. Not only for the rest of the world but also for me and the rest of the team as well. If I start strong I always have a good season. That's my objective, to have a really good season and then try and have a victory every month."
    Contador is the Greatest