capt_slog Posts: 3,939
    No.

The older I get, the better I was.

• buckles
    buckles Posts: 694
    nathancom wrote:
    Or do it just for fun?
    You think moderating a forum is 'fun'? :lol:
    25% off your first MyProtein order: sign up via https://www.myprotein.com/referrals.lis ... EE-R29Y&li or use my referral code LEE-R29Y
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Buckles wrote:
    nathancom wrote:
    Or do it just for fun?
    You think moderating a forum is 'fun'? :lol:

Yes, all that power must be hilarious :wink:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • Like shooting fish in a barrel. Or someit.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • I am sorry you see moderators as those who limit your freedom of expression... but the clue is in the name... we need to moderate your creativity and channel it through the guidelines and rules of the forum.
    Whilst a bit of goliardy and free flow discussions have been tolerated in this section of the forum, it doesn't mean that everything is allowed. Let's be honest, this section serves no purpose and the publisher does not benefit from it. As long as it doesn't harm, it can be allowed to exist, but once it harms the host, then it is history. So, whilst you are encouraged to have your muddy discussions here, you still have to draw a line between what is acceptable in a modern society and what is not... obviously sexism, antisemitism, racism and all these -ism words which have seen such abundance of expression here have to be self-moderated. Otherwise the all section will simply disappear
    left the forum March 2023
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    I've got a picture of them in my head like this......................

bond_villain.jpg

though - are pictures of pussy's allowed?
  • arran77
    matthew h wrote:
    I've got a picture of them in my head like this......................

bond_villain.jpg

though - are pictures of pussy's allowed?

I'd say you can see less than half of that pussy so I reckon you're ok there, any more though mister....you've been warned :wink:

Just out of interest Ugo do the publishers hold the same view on Crudcatcher?
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    Let's be honest, this section serves no purpose and the publisher does not benefit from it.
    Is that really honest though? I'm getting adverts for audible.co.uk which I can click on and buy Alex Fergusson's autobiography (and I bet it's a hilarious read with some useful insight into the mind of a footballing genius). Maybe the publisher of this forum could charge audible.co.uk (which I am reliably informed is an Amazon company) a fee for advertising here. I think it's common practice elsewhere and then the publisher would see the benefit of allowing the naughty children a place to play away from the less robust children who need protecting from normal life (according to the BB rules).
  • GiantMike wrote:
    Is that really honest though? I'm getting adverts for audible.co.uk which I can click on and buy Alex Fergusson's autobiography (and I bet it's a hilarious read with some useful insight into the mind of a footballing genius). Maybe the publisher of this forum could charge audible.co.uk (which I am reliably informed is an Amazon company) a fee for advertising here. I think it's common practice elsewhere and then the publisher would see the benefit of allowing the naughty children a place to play away from the less robust children who need protecting from normal life (according to the BB rules).

Yes, but the BB is a small fraternity of old timers, which does not attract new visitors. Virtually all the topics have a handful of contributors... new visitors generally join a cycling forum to talk about cycling, not ladyboys or celebrities.
    It serves the only function of keeping the rest of the forum clean and reducing the moderating load. If instead it turns out to increase the moderating load, then it serves no purpose at all and it becomes redundant.
  • arran77
    It serves the only function of keeping the rest of the forum clean and reducing the moderating load.

So it does serve a purpose then :wink:

Bottom Bracket is no different from CrudCatcher is it really then so why is it always BB that takes the flack?

Several of us post in both sections and all agree that the level of tolerance is far greater in CrudCatcher :?

seanoconn
  • GiantMike wrote:

Yes, but the BB is a small fraternity of old timers, which does not attract new visitors. Virtually all the topics have a handful of contributors... new visitors generally join a cycling forum to talk about cycling, not ladyboys or celebrities.
    It serves the only function of keeping the rest of the forum clean and reducing the moderating load. If instead it turns out to increase the moderating load, then it serves no purpose at all and it becomes redundant.

I do a bit of lurking but no contributing as yet on BB. Enjoy talking about cycling but also a bit of ladyboy / celebrity chat. I espcially enjoy Mikeys TV recommendations.
    Fat lads take longer to stop.
  • GiantMike
    That's because the new kids have no personalities or a sense of humour. The only reason I post on here is because I can't sit in the pub all day spouting boll0x and I have a terrible job I hate. You're providing a valuable service that stops me being inappropriate at work. The irony is that Future PLC could inadvertantly publish a pic of a topless ladyboy next to a bike but I couldn't provide a hotlink to it as that would break Future PLC's rules.
  • arran77
    GiantMike wrote:
    That's because the new kids have no personalities or a sense of humour. The only reason I post on here is because I can't sit in the pub all day spouting boll0x and I have a terrible job I hate. You're providing a valuable service that stops me being inappropriate at work. The irony is that Future PLC could inadvertantly publish a pic of a topless ladyboy next to a bike but I couldn't provide a hotlink to it as that would break Future PLC's rules.

I think to be fair it can take a while for new comers to get used to the 'personalities' in Bottom Bracket and CrudCatcher, and for them to feel comfortable to post.

It took me a while before I sunk to the murky depths of BB :wink:

seanoconn
  • GiantMike
    arran77 wrote:
    GiantMike wrote:

I think to be fair it can take a while for new comers to get used to the 'personalities' in Bottom Bracket and CrudCatcher, and for them to feel comfortable to post.

It took me a while before I sunk to the murky depths of BB :wink:
    Yes but you still have no personality or a sense of humour.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    The smell of internet blood during a mass banning session is the currency I get paid in.

...oops... Shouldn't have let that slip.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,318
    Mods get paid in love surely?
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • arran77
    The smell of internet blood during a mass banning session is the currency I get paid in.

...oops... Shouldn't have let that slip.

We knew that anyway :P

seanoconn
  • brianonyx
    brianonyx Posts: 170
    GiantMike wrote:

So when your business development folk pitch to the bigger advertisers they exclude the traffic and hits that come from BB and crud catcher? hmmm......
  • nathancom
    nathancom Posts: 1,567
    I don't get why threads are being shut for being off-topic and "sexist" for discussing pulling the ladies of Middlesborough, an amusing and harmless thread to read. Surely this is the section of the forum where people can be off-topic and potentially at times mildly sexist. For sure it is a thankless task being a mod as your best outcome is upsetting all of the people only some of the time but heavy handed and arbitrary decisions abound on Bottom Bracket.

I do honestly wonder why people choose to cross over from being every day users of a forum to having to moderate the thing without any compensation. If it is all about how much advertising dollar Future Publishing can extract from their user base, what is in it for you?
  • nathancom wrote:
    I don't get why threads are being shut for being off-topic and "sexist" for discussing pulling the ladies of Middlesborough, an amusing and harmless thread to read. Surely this is the section of the forum where people can be off-topic and potentially at times mildly sexist.

It wasn't mild. A particular comment was reported by the boss as being "grotesque" and I agree it was.

She also added: "Please be more vigilant with these types of topics as it jeopardizes these areas of the forum..."

Hence my previous warning
  • arran77
    nathancom wrote:
    I don't get why threads are being shut for being off-topic and "sexist" for discussing pulling the ladies of Middlesborough, an amusing and harmless thread to read. Surely this is the section of the forum where people can be off-topic and potentially at times mildly sexist.

It wasn't mild. A particular comment was reported by the boss as being "grotesque" and I agree it was.

She also added: "Please be more vigilant with these types of topics as it jeopardizes these areas of the forum..."

It still smacks at complete hypocrisy when the same organisation has publications, both printed and electronic, that show far more graphic images than the one I got warned for yesterday :roll:

seanoconn
  • arran77 wrote:
    It still smacks at complete hypocrisy when the same organisation has publications, both printed and electronic, that show far more graphic images than the one I got warned for yesterday :roll:

That was my initiative and it was not a warning. I simply deleted your comment to avoid you getting into trouble. If you wish, you can re-post it, I won't delete it and if someone reports you, I will then give you a ban... is that better? :wink:
  • nathancom
    nathancom Posts: 1,567
    nathancom wrote:

Your boss obviously failed to read the tagline to the forum section:
    Adults only! Warning - you may be offended!

It even says in the forum rules:
    Do not enter such areas if you are liable to be offended.

It sounds like hit and run moderation on her behalf based simply on what offends her not on what helps develop a community, one that has effectively been destroyed on this forum section over the last 18 months.

I know you are doing this because you like and care about the community that has grown up around the forum but there does appear to be a change in how the forum as a whole is being moderated, an attempt to expunge anything that isn't advertising-nice, white teeth and healthy cyclists.

This is reflected in how they have ramped up the advertising on the forums so that on the ipad the page resizes every 30 seconds to accommodate the next huge advertising border for some car manufacturer, energy supplier or toothpaste company.

• It serves the only function of keeping the rest of the forum clean and reducing the moderating load. If instead it turns out to increase the moderating load, then it serves no purpose at all and it becomes redundant.

I'm guessing that it is the "big" girls thread that helps to reduce the moderators loads? :twisted:
  • nathancom wrote:
    It sounds like hit and run moderation on her behalf based simply on what offends her not on what helps develop a community, one that has effectively been destroyed on this forum section over the last 18 months.

I know you are doing this because you like and care about the community that has grown up around the forum but there does appear to be a change in how the forum as a whole is being moderated, an attempt to expunge anything that isn't advertising-nice, white teeth and healthy cyclists.

This is reflected in how they have ramped up the advertising on the forums so that on the ipad the page resizes every 30 seconds to accommodate the next huge advertising border for some car manufacturer, energy supplier or toothpaste company.

I do care, or I would not be moderating. However, out of nearly 9000 comments and 6 years on the forum I have not caused any problem, with the exception of a couple of idiots reporting me for apparently moderating with the aim to boost my million pounds wheel building.
    I do struggle to understand what expelicit and rude references to anal sex and a cycling forum have in common other than if someone on here takes particular pleasure from riding pointy saddles.
    The community is still strong, but the strength of the forum is not in these idiotic threads. I don't mind the odd laugh and the off topic threads, but you have to put things in perspective. Nobody has any interest in seeing their name associated with those threads, if you do, then drop your nickname and use your real name :?
  • GiantMike
    arran77 wrote:

That was my initiative and it was not a warning. I simply deleted your comment to avoid you getting into trouble. If you wish, you can re-post it, I won't delete it and if someone reports you, I will then give you a ban... is that better? :wink:
    Go on then Arran. Ugo says you can re-post it if you want :twisted:

I promise I won't report you and I'm sure nobody else will.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,318
    GiantMike wrote:
    arran77 wrote:

Good thinking. I promise I won't report him either :wink::wink:
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • arran77
    seanoconn wrote:
    GiantMike wrote:
    arran77 wrote:

Good thinking. I promise I won't report him either :wink::wink:

B0llocks!

If Ugo didn't report me then one of you two wouldn't take long to do it :wink:

If anyone is so interested to see what all the fuss over nothing was then just look on the Daily Mail website and find the article about the Asian trans-gender Miss World entrant, I posted the most risque of all those pictures :wink:

seanoconn
  • GiantMike
    arran77 wrote:
    No way. I'm far too scared
    When I get my Dolphin suit I'll order you one of these to wear while you're on the internet. Would you like the one with small balls or no balls?

Chicken_suit1.jpg
  • arran77
    GiantMike wrote:
    arran77 wrote:
    No way. I'm far too scared
    When I get my Dolphin suit I'll order you one of these to wear while you're on the internet. Would you like the one with small balls or no balls?

Chicken_suit1.jpg

I don't know, which one do you wear?

seanoconn