Afan Forest Trails

mazzaratty
mazzaratty Posts: 8
edited January 2014 in Routes
Ello,

I just wanted to find out a bit more about the trails in Afan Forest and how it compares to Cwmcarn. I mainly ride XC and only have a hardtail. I'm fairly new to mtbing, been riding for just over a year now. I've done the Cwmcarn Twrch Trail a couple of times, it's bloody tough and technical climbing. Some uphill sections are too difficult for me but overall a really good eye opener for technical riding. The downhill sections were really good fun and didn't have a problem at all.

I'm hoping to visit South Wales next weekend and finally get round to visiting Afan Forest. My question is, are the trails as technical as Twrch on the ascent? I want good trails to build my technical skills but not so tough that I feel I'm out of depth. If anyone can point me to a good red trail either at Afan or anywhere in south Wales i'd appreciate that alot :)

Ta

Comments

• The Twrch is more technical climbing than anything at Afan, but Afan has more technical descents. If you're happy doing Twrch though then you should be fine with Afan.

There's 3 reds at Afan; The Wall, Whites and Penhydd.

Penhydd is the easiest of the three so probably a good idea to do that first. Should take between 1 hour and 1 hour 45 minutes depending on fitness. After that then it's toss up between The Wall and Whites, both great but The Wall edges it for me! If you've done Penhydd first then The Wall starts at the same car park too so would make more sense. The Wall and Whites should both take between 1.5 to 2 hours so you can comfortably fit in Penhydd, some food at the visitor centre and then The Wall in the light even in winter.

Hope this helps!
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    I would say actually Twrch is more techincal all round than anything at afan personally.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I'd agree with that, with the exception of the short black bit on White's Level, which I think is tougher than the Twrch.
  • Really? I did Twrch with a mate last summer and we both agreed that while the climb was nice and challenging we'd never go back because the descent was so plain and boring.

I ride Afan a couple of times a week though so perhaps I'm biased...
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I've not been to Cwmcarn for a number of years actually, but I actually thought it was better than Afan of late.

What about BPW?
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    The final descent at cwmcarn is superb!

But overall I think the wall at Afan is my favourite trail, I haven't ridden the new penhydd yet though.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Nope last 2 days at cwm are fast flowing and littered with rock.. love it. afan tends to be a bit to cultured and swept for my taste, though the classic penhydd singletrack thats still in place owns.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,861
    mmmmmm

looks like I might be spending some time in Swansea soon - might be worth a visit.

Is it open at night?
  • welshkev
    matthew h wrote:
    mmmmmm

looks like I might be spending some time in Swansea soon - might be worth a visit.

Is it open at night?

Yes mate. And they do group night rides on the penhydd trail from skyline cycles at Afan :)
  • tlw1
    welshkev wrote:
    matthew h wrote:
    mmmmmm

Is it open at night?

Yes mate. And they do group night rides on the penhydd trail from skyline cycles at Afan :)

fantastic - so what days do I need to arrange 'meetings' in Swansea? :)
  • welshkev
    matthew h wrote:
    welshkev wrote:
    matthew h wrote:
    mmmmmm

Is it open at night?

Weds night is group ride night I think. I'll see if I can find a link tomorrow when I'm on my computer :)
  • tlw1
    welshkev wrote:
    matthew h wrote:
    welshkev wrote:
    matthew h wrote:
    mmmmmm

Is it open at night?

Weds night is group ride night I think. I'll see if I can find a link tomorrow when I'm on my computer :)

:D