Ill, and getting grumpy!

YellaBelly
YellaBelly Posts: 130
edited January 2014 in Health, fitness & training
I'd been looking forward to the 1st Jan to kick on into a rigorous training program (well a training program) and start my preparations for the new race season. Then two days before I pick up a cold, and a bad cough which is sitting on my chest and refusing to shift. Not the end of the world I know, but very frustrating none-the-less. I'm itching to get out after a christmas with no ride time, and I can't. :evil:

Is there much/anything you can do training wise. I'd considered some boring turbo sessions in the garage. Keep warmer, no windchill or rain, and a lower, nice consistent heart rate in the zone 2 area. Or do I really need to just lay off, miss the first week or two until I'm completely better and then get started. :?:

Comments

• DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    Give the trainer a try. Training whilst ill is always a bit of a gamble, but you'll know in the first 5 mins if it's a good idea or not.
  • Best to rest. You are likely to be sicker for longer if you try to push yourself.

If you are still coughing stuff up after 1 week, especially if it is coloured or you have chest pain of any sort then ask you doctor to take a look.

Stay off caffeine and alcohol and anything sweet. Take only paracetamol and lots of clear fluids..early nights. Not good to consider turbo training even though it is tempting to try.

You will be stronger to train properly in a week if you take it steady now.
  • Thanks for the advice chaps. mjcaskey thats very sensible, although not much fun :wink:
  • mpatts
    mpatts Posts: 1,010
    I asked my secret coach the same thing yesterday, the reply:

"Training while ill – don’t do it, accept you are ill and you will lose a little of your fitness. It’s this acceptance that you are ill which is the hardest part. If you train while ill you run the risk of making yourself worse by depriving the immune system energy to fight off the infection. Any training done while ill will not be conducive to improved performance. If you feel that the infection is past its worst then try a 30 minute easy ride on the turbo. If you feel that your body still needs more time to recover then you can simply step off the bike. If you feel OK and have no symptoms on this 30 minute turbo ride then try an hour’s easy spin on the road and then resume the schedule the day after that but if in doubt shorten the rides."
    Insert bike here:
  • whitey161
    whitey161 Posts: 110
    I've got a persistant niggle and a bit bunged up but it tends to go by the afternoon. Can't stay off the bike so just riding anyway, havent noticed any issue while riding tbh. I feel your pain though it is highly annoying!!
    Gravity-Fed Media - A page to showcase my MTB and Snowboard Edits

http://www.facebook.com/GFM2005
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    pulled a muscle in my neck - so currently no training - not even drinking to cheer me up because of the pills :(
  • matthew h wrote:
    not even drinking to cheer me up because of the pills :(

Life can be cruel sometimes :cry: