Brake Upgrade

ab20000
ab20000 Posts: 89
edited January 2014 in MTB general
Having recently purchased a Cube Ltd Race I have noticed that the brakes (Shimano M505) feel a bit weaker than the old HFX9's on my Norco. The rotors on the Cube are 180mm front and 160mm rear vs. 203mm front and 180mm rear on the Norco. Now I'm 6' 4" and >16st so brakes are something I always focus on and I'm keen to get the best I can within reason (and budget)

So I'm thinking of keeping the setup and uprating the pads and moving to a 203mm front and 180mm floating disc set-up. Should keep the weight the same and improve braking all within a reasonable budget.

Anybody done this before or have any thoughts on other options?

Comments

• poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    the M505's are not particularly good and are a few years old in terms of tech.

changing the front to a 203 (decent make) and M615 brakes should see a big improvement

I run M675 SLX with 203 & 160 and they have more than enough power.
  • ednino
    ednino Posts: 684
    I don't find bigger rotors gives any more power. Just deal better with heat on longer descents.
    The power is from the caliper/lever.

I went up to 180mm on my old bike and noticed no difference. I've just gone down to 160mm on the race bike and again no difference in stopping power.

My new SLX brakes are brilliant though. First time i've had really strong stopping power (160mm)
  • So maybe if I run an SLX or M785 XT calliper F&R with current discs and see how this goes - assume I can use the M505 levers (I like the way they feel size wise etc)

Anybody know where I can find weights of these different parts - not going to get too obsessed but keen to avoid upgrading but adding weight.
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Try these:

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/
    http://www.bikescale.com/

FWIW, I love my SLX M666s. Much better than the old Hope M4s they replaced.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • poah
    ab20000 wrote:
    So maybe if I run an SLX or M785 XT calliper F&R with current discs and see how this goes - assume I can use the M505 levers (I like the way they feel size wise etc)

Anybody know where I can find weights of these different parts - not going to get too obsessed but keen to avoid upgrading but adding weight.

M615, M675, M785 all use the same pads

on the levers

M615 need a tool to adjust lever distance
    M675 have a knob on the lever
    M785 have the knob plus pad adjustment

you'd be hard pressed to actually feel any difference in the power between the 3.
  • ednino
    ab20000 wrote:

I've just fitted some KCNC rotors on mine. Big weight saving if your into that sort of thing :wink:
  • ednino wrote:
    I've just fitted some KCNC rotors on mine. Big weight saving if your into that sort of thing :wink:

I'm going to try not to be as that could become very expensive. :? I don't want to add weight as the bike feels good and may save some weight on the wheels in future but not going to chase 50g here and there.
  • poah
    ednino wrote:
    ab20000 wrote:

pish for braking and pad life though
  • ednino
    POAH wrote:
    ednino wrote:
    ab20000 wrote:

pish for braking and pad life though

the braking is fantastic
  • So will I need to change the levers and the callipers or can I just change the callipers? :? :oops:
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Both
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Out on the bike today and really noticed on quick downhill flat forest tracks and on the road the 505's are quite weak plus the front has developed a squeak. Now is it worth upgrading the pads or should I just accept that they are not quite up to the job and go for some XT M785 or similar? What uprated pad options are there?
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    You don't need XT brakes. Power is the same from Deore right up to XTR. Higher spec and price gets you more adjustment and less weight.
    You can get Deores for around £70 and they have loads of power, when I was 17 stone I found them more than powerful enough.
    Don't bother with floating rotors, they're completely pointless.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    It sounds like you have a fault, probably mucky pads, new pads and clean the discs with IPA and power will return!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • poah
    The Rookie wrote:
    clean the discs with IPA and power will return!

:shock:

IMG_0593.JPG
  • ednino
    Don't bother with floating rotors, they're completely pointless.

Agreed^

heavy too
  • hainman
    hainman Posts: 699
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shim ... prod108802
    Afew mates ride with these and they are big guys and swear by them
    Giant Reign 2
    Crohnie
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    Im around that weight and Deore on 180mm rotors is plenty
    IMO you dont get more value for power than Deore
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    You don't need XT brakes. Power is the same from Deore right up to XTR. Higher spec and price gets you more adjustment and less weight.

And the servo wave cam (whether that makes a significanct difference I have no idea). I got my XTs cheaper than SLX, so it was a no brainer.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    To give you a comparison I am also about 16 stone and over 6ft6. My Carve Comp has a 160 rear and 180 front disc. It has elixir 1 brakes and so far after initial tweaking has no problem bringing me to a rapid controlled stop. I can push the bike to the limit of traction round corners and use the brakes to bring the bike back in.

It sounds like you have some sort of fault as disc brakes, even the cheaper ones like mine should bring you to a rapid halt. If you were having issues with rim brakes, especially in the wet on a road bike at 16 stone I would not be surprised.
  • whitey161
    whitey161 Posts: 110
    People say not to bother with XT and just get deores but I got my XT's for £68 each off CRC so not much price difference.
    Gravity-Fed Media - A page to showcase my MTB and Snowboard Edits

http://www.facebook.com/GFM2005
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    whitey161 wrote:
    People say not to bother with XT and just get deores but I got my XT's for £68 each off CRC so not much price difference.

So thats £80 versus £136.

£56 is quite a difference.
  • Kowalski675
    whitey161 wrote:

I got my XTs for £113 from CRC (including a couple of spare pairs of pads, as it turned out) - cheaper than they were selling SLX for at the time. For that price it seemed daft not to spend the little extra.
  • whitey161
    whitey161 Posts: 110
    Hmm I guess its a bit of a difference but in the long run £56 ain't that much so id say stump up.
    All depends on personal situations though really doesn't it.
    Gravity-Fed Media - A page to showcase my MTB and Snowboard Edits

http://www.facebook.com/GFM2005
  • chrisrobs
    chrisrobs Posts: 135
    DCR00 wrote:
    whitey161 wrote:

But xt are shiny
  • Kowalski675
    chrisrobs wrote:
    DCR00 wrote:
    whitey161 wrote:

But xt are shiny

That's the one thing I'd change about mine - I'd rather the master cylinder was black.