Cotic Bfe

jerryfudd
jerryfudd Posts: 343
edited February 2014 in Your mountain bikes
Not great pics but just finished so thought id upload a few pics....

IMG_2236_zpsca412420.jpg

IMG_2242_zps83160a68.jpg

IMG_2241_zps432db8a8.jpg

IMG_2243_zpsc5eaac11.jpg

Comments

• @lexD
    @lexD Posts: 340
    Nice build you have there but a little intrigued why you went for a 9 mm QR SID fork?
    Also reroute your front brake hose to the inside of the fork leg so it won't snag.
  • Very nice. Agree about the forks - strange choice for this frame - why chose those?

Do like the Cotics. Nice job.

Paul
    Family, Friends, Fantastic trails - what else is there

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12898838
    viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12897374
  • jerryfudd
    the supplier only had qr and the price was considerably cheaper, wouldn't have been able to afford SID's otherwise. the 9mm through axle really stiffens it up though.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Not just the choice of 9mm QR, but a race fork like the SID are a little out of place on a BFe, Imo if you going for a BFe a 140-150mm fork is best, otherwise you're better off with the lighter Cotic Soul with a shorter fork. Still a very nice bike, I love mine :D Green is by far the best colour!
  • jerryfudd
    the fork is a transplant over from my Rockhopper which was over the suggested travel for that head angle at the time anyway, Rockhopper felt a bit limiting in the geometry so wanted a frame that still had upgrade paths available - such as the forks. I've also seen some posts searching around forums that suggest for trails the 120 works well with the Bfe but all came down to just getting another frame to get back riding again and at the time the Soul was more expensive otherwise would have considered it more.

Plus I've busted a few frames on my commuter bikes so wanted something strong as an ox even if it was a compromise on weight.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Looks nice, kind of agree about the forks, but sure that will come - shouldn't it have been a green Spoon?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • jerryfudd
    The Rookie wrote:
    Looks nice, kind of agree about the forks, but sure that will come - shouldn't it have been a green Spoon?

another transplant job, had spent enough and the reds wearing off anyways.
  • lawman
    jerryfudd wrote:
    the fork is a transplant over from my Rockhopper which was over the suggested travel for that head angle at the time anyway, Rockhopper felt a bit limiting in the geometry so wanted a frame that still had upgrade paths available - such as the forks. I've also seen some posts searching around forums that suggest for trails the 120 works well with the Bfe but all came down to just getting another frame to get back riding again and at the time the Soul was more expensive otherwise would have considered it more.

Plus I've busted a few frames on my commuter bikes so wanted something strong as an ox even if it was a compromise on weight.

Ahh that's fair enough! I'd definitely recommend a longer, thru-axle fork in the future, I run mine with a 150mm Fox 32 and it's awesome :mrgreen: Still very agile but it's really stable as well, but then I do like a slack headangle! :lol:
  • jerryfudd
    lawman do you know the seat post clamp size for 2013 Bfe? at work now and wanted to get a non-qr on order.....
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    jerryfudd wrote:
    lawman do you know the seat post clamp size for 2013 Bfe? at work now and wanted to get a non-qr on order.....

34.9mm, same as on my Classic Bfe :)
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • lawman
    jerryfudd wrote:

As Arran said its a 34.9mm clamp. I've got a hope bolted one lying round somewhere, brand new in the box, can have it cheaper than anywhere online if you're interested drop me a PM :)
  • jerryfudd
    lawman wrote:
    jerryfudd wrote:

As Arran said its a 34.9mm clamp. I've got a hope bolted one lying round somewhere, brand new in the box, can have it cheaper than anywhere online if you're interested drop me a PM :)

thanks but got a Nukeproof on order now to match the headset.
  • lawman
    jerryfudd wrote:
    lawman wrote:
    jerryfudd wrote:

thanks but got a Nukeproof on order now to match the headset.

No worries, the Nukeproof kit is quality stuff, no issues with my headset so far :)
  • jerryfudd
    lawman wrote:
    No worries, the Nukeproof kit is quality stuff, no issues with my headset so far :)

yeah looks pretty robust, looked at the hope also as a fitted option but didn't like that it had to be adapted down to 1 1/8 even if I do have to replace the whole thing for tapered forks.
  • mrlee
    mrlee Posts: 499
    Very nice. That's the trouble when your not blessed with a load of cash. You have to transplant stuff from a doner bike and it all becomes a work in progress

Welcome to the Cotic family btw
  • damonlock
    damonlock Posts: 170
    Looking good buddy I'm just in process of building one at the minute so far I have frame forks headset bar and stem fitted, breaks coming later this week and drivetrain next week, then just need wheel set but will probs just pinch some out my other bike for now can't wait to ride her!!
  • jerryfudd
    damonlock wrote:
    Looking good buddy I'm just in process of building one at the minute so far I have frame forks headset bar and stem fitted, breaks coming later this week and drivetrain next week, then just need wheel set but will probs just pinch some out my other bike for now can't wait to ride her!!

likewise, finished on Monday but won't get to take it out even for a test ride till Sunday!
  • damonlock
    jerryfudd wrote:
    damonlock wrote:

likewise, finished on Monday but won't get to take it out even for a test ride till Sunday!

That sucks dude hope its dry for you! Fingers crossed!
  • jerryfudd
    Just a quick one been trying to find a rear mudguard that I like and failing miserably but do think the mudguard should be white so was thinking about either.....

1) spray it matt white

2) spray it matt white to colour the ridge round the edge and underside and stick white matt vinyl over the top to get a more durable shop bought looking mudguard

3) just put matt white vinyl on it and have a black ridge round the edge and black underside

raleigh-flinger-clip-on-mudguard.jpg

opinions? (that don't involve buying a new mudguard or just not having one)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • damonlock
    jerryfudd wrote:
    Just a quick one been trying to find a rear mudguard that I like and failing miserably but do think the mudguard should be white so was thinking about either.....

1) spray it matt white

2) spray it matt white to colour the ridge round the edge and underside and stick white matt vinyl over the top to get a more durable shop bought looking mudguard

3) just put matt white vinyl on it and have a black ridge round the edge and black underside

raleigh-flinger-clip-on-mudguard.jpg

opinions? (that don't involve buying a new mudguard or just not having one)

What about the Crud race guard in white?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/crud-race-guard/rp-prod31304
  • jerryfudd
    damonlock wrote:

see posts above - its mainly that i dont really like it and its meant to go on the seat post and with the dropper as low down its not an option.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    I've seen people use these as a rear fender.

5032_266_BK000_view1_1000x1000.jpg

Mucky Nutz also do a specific rear mudguard.

100_1648.jpg
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • jerryfudd
    arran77 wrote:
    I've seen people use these as a rear fender.

5032_266_BK000_view1_1000x1000.jpg

Mucky Nutz also do a specific rear mudguard.

100_1648.jpg

got the bender on the fork don't want it on the rear also and took the rear seat mount one off in favour of a more conventional guard but didn't like their new style one.
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    Also, specialized the captain tyres( or whatever they're called) seem a bit OUt of place on such an aggressive bike...
  • jerryfudd
    Cqc wrote:
    Also, specialized the captain tyres( or whatever they're called) seem a bit OUt of place on such an aggressive bike...

they came on the original rockhopper and have yet to do me wrong so just got a set of 2.2's over the stock 2.0 awhile back and moved them over.
  • DanDax1990
    DanDax1990 Posts: 1,201
    I also thought my bike would look better with white mudguards, wrong.

Stay black, looks loads better.
  • jerryfudd

thanks, that's what I meant by their new style one in my earlier posts, don't like it either lol

like I said I've been looking with no joy on one I like which is why I was looking at turning my current one white :)