Rebound setting on trek shock

bladeone
bladeone Posts: 94
edited January 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
After a ride other day I noticed I'm using all of my travel so needed some more air in, what I'm unsure of is the rebound setting, when they 7 clicks out do they mean from fully open/ fast ?

This came about after fitting a seat dropper and wondering if it's because when dropped I am positioned more over rear shock.

Feedback appreciated.
YT Capra Pro Race
Trek Remedy 2013 (sold)
Cube Reaction GTC Pro (sold)
Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo

Comments

• Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    When you're seat is dropped your arse should be up in the air so it shouldn't make a difference to shock settings. You may have lost a bit of air over time.

Set the sag to 25-30% by adding or removing air then ride and adjust rebound to suit you. With more or less air in the shock you may need to adjust rebound to match. I usually set somewhere in the middle and ride. If its bucking about, slow it down a bit if its sinking into its travel after hits, speed it up.
  • Cheers for reply have set sag ok but needed more air in because of using travel, I'm new to fs so I'm still learning,

Yes have topped air up to my previous setting so will ride and recheck.
    YT Capra Pro Race
    Trek Remedy 2013 (sold)
  • Don't forget if this is a drcv shock then you will need to cycle the shock 50% through travel to equal pressure in both chambers and then recheck pressure.

Also when they give a click number it is normally taken from fully in which is maximum damping so slow rebound.

Paul
  • cheers palmer yer it is a DRCV and did cycle to equalise pressures.

thanks for the click number advice clears it up, when setting sag you do it on descend mode with rebound set to fast fully open. (hope that's right)

cheers Andy
    YT Capra Pro Race
    Trek Remedy 2013 (sold)
  • Sag should be set on descend. Rebound should not matter as you don't want to compress the shock that far. You need to carefully get on the bike so as to only compress as far as body weight will compress. Travel rubber o ring should help you with how much sag.
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    Rebound only controls the rate at which the shock returns to its original state. Has no bearing on sag. Set it at its fastest initially and then click around 3-4 turns and see how that feels. Rebound speed should be enough to stop the shock acting like a pogo stick, but not enough to slow down the return so you get the full benefit of the travel.
  • Thanks all for replies sag reset rear to 30% need to test it now, how do you go on if say 90% of the time your just about using all travel but bottoms on one particular area should you add more air or live with nice ride most of the time, or just get better at landing lol.
    YT Capra Pro Race
    Trek Remedy 2013 (sold)