Lapierre zesty

nathand2r
nathand2r Posts: 3
edited January 2014 in MTB general
Hi all!

I have a lapierre zesty 214 from 2010. Its pretty much standard apart from wheels. Having lots of fun mtbing!
Am wanting to spend abit of money now, as planning on lots of mtb this year, and a trip to the alps, so my question is should I spend it on the zesty or sell it and upgrade?

Opinions please

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    So what does it not do that you want it to do.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Sell it before it snaps
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    If you're happy with it as is, and providing you keep on top of routine service/maintenance, then maybe just treat the shock and forks to service by TFTuned / Mojo etc. Might also be worth getting new pivot bearings fitted prior to an Alpine adventure too, depending on their current condition. Otherwise, unless anything is worn/broken or under-performing then all I can think of is adding a height adjustable seat post.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Whats the current spec?
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Rear : Fox Float R for Lapierre
    Fork: RockShox Recon 335 140mm
    Front Derailleur:Shimano SLX
    Rear Derailleur: Shimano SLX
    Shifters: Shimano New Deore
    Chainset: Shimano FCM542
    Bottom Bracket: Shimano Press Fit
    Cassette:Shimano HG50 9S 11X34 Teeth
    Brakes: Formula RX 180/180
    Handlebars: Lapierre XC Comp Alu 31.8X680mm
    wheels: Mavic crossride with maxxis high rollers
  • cooldad
    Pretty balanced spec.
    cooldad wrote:
    So what does it not do that you want it to do.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    Super tacky front tyre, wider bars, dropper post, 2x10? One of these maybe, depending on budget?
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Cqc wrote:
    Super tacky front tyre, wider bars, dropper post, 2x10? One of these maybe, depending on budget?

What?
  • cooldad
    Cqc wrote:

What?
    And why?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Cqc
    Possible upgrades if he want to burn money?
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    The only thing that needs for the alps trip is big tyres tbh, and maybe a bigger front rotor, otherwise good to go.

Personally I'd stick a dropper post in it, suits that sort of bike perfectly, but that's not something that everyone feels the benefit of. Oh and probably slightly wider bars, but again that's a matter of taste.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Honestly, I don't see the reason for selling it, except if you moving to road cycling or something...
    As far as improving goes, I will go for the dropper post just for the heck of it! :mrgreen:
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Crossrides aren't the best wheel, but not bad either, depends how much (£) you want to improve it!

For that bike and the usage you describe, a dropper sounds like a good upgrade, just keep the old post for if/when you sell the bike.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I would just spend some cash on a fork and shock service if they haven't been done regularly.
    Service the brakes to get them working like new.
    Strip the back end and replace and bearings which are loose or rough and give everything a good clean and lube.
    Getting it running like new again will be better than replacing reasonably good parts.
  • Cqc
    Fair enough, but probably best not to mess around with the brakes if their good ATM, as messing them up would be a shame...