Rear Mech - Old Deore XT M730 -or- New Alivio M410?

Manc33
Manc33 Posts: 2,157
edited January 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Guys, what will shift better:

Shimano Deore XT M730 (circa 1986-1993) in near mint condition

-OR-

Shimano Alivio M410 (new, 2013)

Its a sad story how I have got this mech, my father died last year and today I was dismantling his Harry Hall, it was a great touring bike back then, mostly had 105 and 600 stuff on it, but because of the 28T sprocket at the back (6 speed this was) he put a MTB rear mech on it, the Deore XT.

So I will probably take my Alivio off and put this on, but I wondered if the shifting would be better on the Deore XT.

I saw a similar question to this on another forum as a poll, asking what's best, a 1995 XTR rear mech or a brand new Alivio - the votes were 17-0 in favour of the 1995 XTR mech lol.

The bike also has a Biopace triple chainset on it. :lol: They died off I noticed, everyone laughs at them now.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I doubt you'd notice any differences in shifting. The xt is lighter and better made hence it still works.
  • Manc33
    supersonic wrote:
    I doubt you'd notice any differences in shifting. The xt is lighter and better made hence it still works.

Sometimes with the Alivio, it won't change down quickly then on the same ride won't change up quickly. All my cables are new and its with XTR shifters, so I am just going to blame the rear mech. :lol:

It seems like the Alivio has a "weak spot" around the middle of the cassette! Thats where the problem always is.

Not sure if the early 1990s Deore XT can take 32T, I know it was on a bike with a 28T and the B-tension is screwed halfway out, suggesting it could "easily" take more. Imagine if it could handle 36T. :lol:

The XT mech is in near mint condition but I couldn't possibly sell it.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The Alivio should work fine, the XT will almost certainly work no better or worse, but should be more durable if it's in good condition and wil be lighter.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Manc33
    Might as well swap to it when its in such good condition.

There's no play it in anywhere. I think Acera/Altus/Alivio will all have play in them after your first 50 miles, that last Altus one I had was horrendous for how much you could wiggle the swingarm.

H3T3Hu4.jpg

xcreWOC.jpg

oAjfa8c.jpg
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    The M730 rear mech is my favouite ever closey followed by the M735. Fit and love it. XT 6/7/8 speed kit is possibly the most reliable MTB kit there is. That is why there is still so much of it about.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • I use an old RD M739 Deore XT in mint condition just like yours. Its brilliant. Never had any problems with it. Its been good up until now, and worked a dream with all the other brand new straight out the box drivetrain components.
  • russyh
    russyh Posts: 1,375
    I just recently sold an xt 730, for more than I sold an xt shaddow m772 for. Kind of mental, but in my opinion the 730, was a lovely mech, it must of been to of lasted the thick end of 20 years.
  • Won't be much difference
  • Manc33
    This worked fine on the 32T (despite this rear mech being 20+ years old it can take 34T apparently) but it didn't shift from the 11T to the 12T. Ended up taking it back off and sticking with the Alivio. The first click when it is on the 11T does nothing on the old M730.
  • *AJ*
    *AJ* Posts: 1,080
    Manc33 wrote:
    This worked fine on the 32T (despite this rear mech being 20+ years old it can take 34T apparently) but it didn't shift from the 11T to the 12T. Ended up taking it back off and sticking with the Alivio. The first click when it is on the 11T does nothing on the old M730.

Sounds more like a setup issue than compatibility. The mech is just a slave to the shifter, if it wasnt moving it was because the shifter wasnt telling it to. Possibly due to lack of cable tension?