7 Staines, how long to ride each part

Graham K
Graham K Posts: 329
edited January 2014 in Routes
What kind of timespan would it take for and average rider of average fitness to ride each of the Staines,
Got some time off so trying to work out if we could do a there back in a day with 2 of the Staines thrown in rather than stay over.

Comments

• Not sure I understand your question really as the 7 Stanes are 7 trail centres spread over the south of Scotland .
    Each trail centre has a range of trails of differing lengths and to suit all abilities.

I would suggest having a look on the 7 stanes website and working from there.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    And it's pretty hard to say if you can do it there and back not knowing where you are... Carlisle, absolutely. Penzance, not so much.
  • UH DH
    UH DH Posts: 4,160
    Ae - Ae Line is about 2-4 hours long
    Dalbeattie - Unsure, but around 3hrs
    Glentress - Blue: 2hrs, Red: 3-4hrs, Black: 4-6hrs
    Glentrool - Unsure, probably around 2hrs
    Innerleithen - 3hrs
    Kirroughtree - Blue: 1.5hrs, Red: 2.5hrs, black: 4-5hrs
    Mabie - 2-3hrs
    Newcastleton - 1.5-2hrs

The main issues are when you are doing this, as daylight is short. In theory, you could fit in a few trails in a day, but there's travel between the stanes, sometimes pretty significant distances, so you'd struggle to do 2 stanes.

Your best bet for a day is Glentress. The main 3 trails are in the same sort of area, so you can go from blue to red to black pretty easily, or even link up different parts of the trails to make an epic ride.

For a bit of an idea about Glentress, try this: http://www.trail-dog.co.uk/?page_id=44
    Check out my site - http://www.trail-dog.co.uk
    It's good for you.
  • dusk
    dusk Posts: 583
    I would say you want to be pretty fit to do two of them in a day, then there's the fact that most of them aren't all that close together. Glentress/Innerleithen would be the best pair as they're close together. Also I personally wouldn't bother going to Glentrool/Newcastleton/Dalbeattie (at least not ahead of the rest of them).
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite