Felt Z95 Sora

mcnultycop
mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
edited May 2014 in Your road bikes
I thought I'd post my first ever road bike, bought just so I can ride from the door for training and not have as much cleaning as I have with the MTBs. £454 from Wiggle (it is apparently a Wiggle Exclusive) and I think cracking value for that amount.

Alloy frame, carbon fork, 9 speed Sora, Tektro brakes.

The only changes I have made are to put two bottle cages on (which were crap and both snapped, I will buy some better ones rather than cheap plastic ones), fit SPD-SLs (my first foray into clipless) and take the wheel reflectors off. Everything else seems OK so I won't be changing anything until it breaks, other than removing the plastic spoke saver when I can face losing some skin off my knuckles when I get the chain-whip out.

As it came, well packed and set up from the box. Just had to stick the bars on (and flip the stem) and set saddle position.

11774274566_e292e6f7ec_z.jpg
Untitled by mcnultycop, on Flickr

After a few rides. The skinny tyres and complete lack of braking compared the MTB are still taking some getting used to. This has a compact and 11-32 cassette so suits my current level of fitness.

11774256196_5ed968b4e4_z.jpg
Untitled by mcnultycop, on Flickr

I've not had a front mech for a while (1x10 on both MTBs) and I cannot get it set up perfectly, it rubs a little in big chainring to smallest 3 sprockets, but I'll get that sorted out. The skinny tyres and complete lack of braking compared the MTB are still taking some getting used to.

A decent bike for the cash though. I'll always be an MTBer but it is a nice change for training.

Comments

• animal72
    animal72 Posts: 251
    You shouldn't be using the gear selection you've stated anyway, so I'd guess it's set up fine.

Try the stem the other way up and see if it's more comfy.

Nice first road bike btw, enjoy.
    Condor Super Acciaio, Record, Deda, Pacentis.
    Curtis 853 Handbuilt MTB, XTR, DT Swiss and lots of Hope.
    Genesis Datum Gravel Bike, Pacentis (again).
    Genesis Equilibrium Disc, 105 & H-Plus-Son.

Mostly Steel.
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    Lurvely...
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    Animal72 wrote:
    You shouldn't be using the gear selection you've stated anyway, so I'd guess it's set up fine.

Nice first road bike btw, enjoy.

Big chainring to 3 smallest sprockets is perfectly ok. Perhaps try reading what's written next time.

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • mcnultycop
    Animal72 wrote:

I tried it at -8 degrees initially but it didn't feel right. I'm still getting used to the bike so may make some alterations to fit in the future.
  • animal72
    animal72 Posts: 251
    declan1 wrote:
    Animal72 wrote:
    Big chainring to 3 smallest sprockets is perfectly ok. Perhaps try reading what's written next time.

Sorry, my bad.
    Condor Super Acciaio, Record, Deda, Pacentis.
    Curtis 853 Handbuilt MTB, XTR, DT Swiss and lots of Hope.
    Genesis Datum Gravel Bike, Pacentis (again).
    Genesis Equilibrium Disc, 105 & H-Plus-Son.

Mostly Steel.
  • mcnultycop
    I've been using this a lot recently, it was purchased for keeping me on the bike over winter but I've used it a few times over the MTB through choice, which I never thought would happen. I've done Cragg Vale on it and got up to 60+ km which isn't bad for me at 115kg. I keep thinking I should have spent more on my first road bike, but this actually just does everything I need it to; I may treat myself to something when I get to 100kg.

Anyway, I trapped a nerve in my neck in the bath after Sunday's ride, so couldn't get out today, so did some maintenance on the Felt and on my Scandal hardtail too. Koolstop Salmons have gone on to hopefully alleviate some of the horror I experience trying to stop in the wet, plus I've finally got round to whipping the cassette off and taking off the plastic trainer disc.

14273931682_9d1b29ab0e_b.jpg
    The Fleet by mcnultycop, on Flickr